The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: 10 inch hole with a battery operated auger.  (Read 727 times)

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
10 inch hole with a battery operated auger.
« on: Jan 07, 2016, 02:57 PM »
I'm going to get rid of my gas auger.  I want a battery operated auger.  I think I'll go with an Icegator.  But I'm not sure if I want to buy their 9.5" bit.  I wonder how hard it is to get it sharpened, or if you can get blades for it.  I'm wondering about the Ion 10 inch bit, or the 10 inch Nils.  The Nils should be easy to get an adapter for it to use on the Icegator, but I'm not sure about the Ion.  And would the Ion (easiest to get blades for) be effective at the 425 rpm speed? 

There's a reason that Ion doesn't sell their 10 inch bit with the auger head.  I don't think they can get enough holes to make it worth the hassle.  If you own the auger with an 8 inch bit, then buy the 10 inch, you can go back to the 8 inch hole without having to buy anything else.  If you bought the 10 inch first and were disappointed, you'd have to buy the 8 inch to be able to get enough holes to be happy.

Any thoughts?

<{{{{{ °>
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: 10 inch hole with a battery operated auger.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2016, 05:49 PM »
only thing i can think of is call and ask what spare blades cost.

Offline dfeste

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2016, 09:45 PM »
You'll have to call as mentioned but if I'm not mistaken the IceGator shaft is compatible with Strikemaster power augers.  This would give you more than one option for a 10" hole.  On their website IceGator offers adapters for Nils, Eskimo, and Mora hand augers.  Would be a sweet auger with more than enough power to run a 10" bit.  Probably the only really good option out there for electric.

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2016, 07:24 PM »
The 9 1/2 IceGator auger is not yet reality. First offering was mid November  that turned to mid December and now mid January we're not seeing them yet.
Leave Some For Seed

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.