The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: 10 inch Jiffy ice auger (propane)  (Read 7076 times)

Offline halvorsonm

• IceShanty Rookie
10 inch Jiffy ice auger (propane)
« on: Dec 01, 2011, 11:29 AM »
I'm looking to buy a new ice auger and was wondering if anyone has the jiffy propane ice auger. I'm a little worried about buying a propane auger just because there somewhat new on the market.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: 10 inch Jiffy ice auger (propane)
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2011, 09:40 PM »
I know an 8 inch weighs in at 34 lbs which seems a little heavy for a new auger. I have spoke to people that have it though and they absolutely love it. I'm a strikemaster two stroke guy myself though.

Offline Fillet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2011, 09:50 PM »
I saw one run last year. It cut decent but very heavy. I cut a ton of holes though and between the weight and the restriction on number of holes this auger isn't for me. I don't mind putting an eighth of a gallon of gas in my auger every couple trips.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2011, 09:57 PM »
Very happy with mine so far. usually starts on the first pull. Good luck, Joe

Offline oyler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2011, 10:51 PM »
If your thinking the propane just to get a 4-stroke, the Rooster has a smoking deal on the StrikeMaster StrikeLite right now. 

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2011, 11:26 PM »
Have relation living in Ft Collins CO that read something locally about a propane ice auger catching fire and burning a guy. Trying to find more info.

dc 

Offline KingCat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2011, 05:34 PM »
My experience with the propane is good and bad; good at first, but then got too cold and had a tough time starting. May have been a freak thing, not sure. Will stick to the gas myself.

Offline ianripken

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2011, 06:21 PM »
Seems the weight would be an issue to me also.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2011, 02:23 PM »
Did I hear 4-stroke? I'm liking the Strike-Lite II purchased last year. Some folks previously remarked about the flutes breaking, but they got away from the plastic flutes(for lightness I would think) and mine is metal and does nicely. Plus, no gas mixing is an added bonus!

But of you're into propane, then nevermind  ;D

Offline NoMe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2011, 03:20 PM »
I'm looking to buy a new ice auger and was wondering if anyone has the jiffy propane ice auger. I'm a little worried about buying a propane auger just because there somewhat new on the market.
I just purchased the Pro4 10" but there is no ice to try it out. I read all the topics I could find on it. Some say no problem starting in the cold others say keep your tank warm or it won't start. As to date my only experience with it is that it starts consistently on the second pull when it is 20-30 deg F. I've read where some guys put them in chest freezers for 4 hours with no problem starting. If you want a light auger the pro4 10" is heavy, 43lb's. They were new to the market last season I believe and they did have an issue with the gas line leaking but that has been fixed. Stores couldn't keep them on the shelves last year so if the pro4 was that bad there would've been a lot of used ones for sale this year and I've yet to see a used one for sale. FWIW my $.02.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2011, 03:31 PM »
Did I hear 4-stroke? I'm liking the Strike-Lite II purchased last year. Some folks previously remarked about the flutes breaking, but they got away from the plastic flutes(for lightness I would think) and mine is metal and does nicely. Plus, no gas mixing is an added bonus!

But of you're into propane, then nevermind  ;D
I've been doing some research on the Strike-Lite II and I'm wondering about the gas you use. I know unleaded, but regular grade or what? Can you use 10% ethanol (or lower) gas in it? I read the owners manual online and it just said unleaded without mentioning octane. I like that they went to the steel auger this year. 23#'s isn't bad, plus no mixing in oil.
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Celt6

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 10, 2011, 04:36 PM »
Best purchase I ever made, last January, hole restrictions? dont know what that means, I got 50 to 60 holes on 1.5 foot all winter, propane canister is less then 3 bucks at WM....as far as weight, I drag my stuff in a sled by hand, I got the 8 inch, 38lbs, like a couple of lbs is gonna make a diff to you guys that pull with ATV's, most 4 strokes are heavy, this thing is CLEAN, no spill in the truck, all you have to remember is store it with the plug up. Good luck.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 11, 2011, 08:48 AM »
I've been doing some research on the Strike-Lite II and I'm wondering about the gas you use. I know unleaded, but regular grade or what? Can you use 10% ethanol (or lower) gas in it? I read the owners manual online and it just said unleaded without mentioning octane. I like that they went to the steel auger this year. 23#'s isn't bad, plus no mixing in oil.
I use a premium unleaded. As for ethanol, you might want to send a PM to oyler from the SD forum, he's a Strikemaster rep and would know.   

Offline Bigfish713

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 11, 2011, 10:08 PM »
I may be in market for a power auger this year will be looking at the propane one for sure.  But may look into a used gas one and converting it to propane.  my neighbor has a business that will convert gas motors to propane may go that route not sure yet would like to hear how the new jiffy works for everyone

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 11, 2011, 10:21 PM »
I also bought a 10" Jiffy Propane last winter and was a little concerned because they were an industry first. 
Prior to that I had a Jiify model 30, I bought new and ran for 10 years without any issues. Wanted to upgrade and like the no gas mix 4 stroke idea!

I Ran it all season without any issues(went out over 40x last winter), Out of the box it took two pulls to start... and has always started on the first pull ever since. Get well over 100 holes per 1g propane cylinder, so no issues there... So far so good Started it up the other day after sitting all summer and started right up first pull!  :)

Offline SilverSides

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing is better than any day at work!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 12, 2011, 03:09 AM »
I may be in market for a power auger this year will be looking at the propane one for sure.  But may look into a used gas one and converting it to propane.  my neighbor has a business that will convert gas motors to propane may go that route not sure yet would like to hear how the new jiffy works for everyone
Not sure how you would do that. Need lubrication for the bearings and cylinder wall. That's why the propane is a 4 stroke motor.

Offline oyler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 12, 2011, 08:45 AM »

Thanks for the heads up Wyo!!

StrikeMaster recommends that you use 91 octane winter blend fuel for all of their augers.  I would stay away from Ethanol, just because it breaks down faster than non-ethanol fuels do, and if you store it for any amount of time, it could present a problem...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.