The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: 4 Stroke Strike Lite and Seafoam  (Read 2158 times)

Offline JigginRod

• Team IceShanty Regular
4 Stroke Strike Lite and Seafoam
« on: Nov 29, 2010, 10:43 PM »
I got a new Strike Lite II for this season and I haven't even put oil in it yet but was wondering for anyone who has used this Subaru engine if they always add seafoam to their gas? I could see for the angler who only fishes a couple times a month during the ice season and lets it sit, but I fish 3-7 days a week during the ice season and wanted to know if the seafoam is necessary? I can see how adding that or some stabil at the end of the season would be a good idea but I'm just curious what everyone else has been doing and whats worked well for you.

Offline MEMAGGIENCOMET

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: 4 Stroke Strike Lite and Seafoam
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2010, 10:52 PM »
I would run premium gas in it and seafoam.  I own a outdoor power equipment business and that is how we run everything that goes out our door.  It is cheap insurance.  Put stabil in it before you put it away for the year and run it for awhile.

Offline xcr440

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2010, 10:55 PM »
I add seafoam or marine stable any time I see the 10% eth sticker on the pump, even though eth levels are lower in the winter I still do it. More of a piece of mind thing.

In my area all grade of fuel have eth.

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2010, 11:01 PM »
 Seafoam = Mechanic in a can    ;)    :tipup:

Wyo Ice
RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

Offline MEMAGGIENCOMET

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2010, 11:05 PM »
E10 gas is the worst thing to happen to small engines ever. I do agree with the marine stabilizer also. Where I live our premium still has not ethanol in it.

Offline JigginRod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2010, 11:14 PM »
Thanks guys, I have about a half dozen cans of seafoam for other things I use it on, just new to this 4 stroke engine. We still have 100% premium gas here thankfully so I'm not so worried about the ethanol. Storage wise I planned on running stabil through it then emptying the tank and running the last bit through it, or isn't this a good idea?

Offline xcr440

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2010, 11:17 PM »
That's what I do.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2010, 11:26 PM »
Where can you find Seafoam easily? Is there another name for it? We have a rental center which deals in Snapper mowers and Husqvarna saws would they carry something like it?

Offline MEMAGGIENCOMET

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2010, 11:29 PM »
If you use premium and stabil and run it dry you would be good to go.  If you run e10 in it you are chancing it to have gaskets and diaphragms dried out. 20 cents more a gallon is cheap if you can get no ethanol.

Offline xcr440

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 29, 2010, 11:31 PM »
Where can you find Seafoam easily? Is there another name for it? We have a rental center which deals in Snapper mowers and Husqvarna saws would they carry something like it?
I get mine at home centers(menards) or farm stores(farm&fleet, fleet farm)

Offline JigginRod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 29, 2010, 11:35 PM »
I got mine at a Fleet Farm, but some local hardware stores even carry seafoam.

Offline littlesturgeonguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 30, 2010, 05:49 AM »
Walmart in our area sells it.

JigginRod, seafoam is also a fuel stabilizer.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 30, 2010, 09:04 AM »
Our local NAPA has Seafoam on sale right now for under $6, maybe it's nationwide.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 30, 2010, 09:13 AM »
Our local NAPA has Seafoam on sale right now for under $6, maybe it's nationwide.
stock up

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 30, 2010, 10:02 AM »
stock up

It comes 24 cans to a case, bought 36 cans, used 6 in several boats, the tractor, ATV, snowblower, leafblower, weedwacker, chainsaw and to treat the jerry cans. 30 cans still in the garage, that should be barely enough for the auger this winter!

Offline bri

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Nov 30, 2010, 03:41 PM »
Thanks guys, I have about a half dozen cans of seafoam for other things I use it on, just new to this 4 stroke engine. We still have 100% premium gas here thankfully so I'm not so worried about the ethanol. Storage wise I planned on running stabil through it then emptying the tank and running the last bit through it, or isn't this a good idea?

I ran a Strike-Lite for the last 3 seasons, a great machine.

I only run non-ethanol fuel in my small engines, add Seafoam to the last tank of the season and then run it dry for storage.  I have had bad experiences with Stabil, so they no longer get my money.

Offline xcr440

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 30, 2010, 03:43 PM »
Fill us in on the stabil issue....Can't leave us hanging like that.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #17 on: Nov 30, 2010, 06:32 PM »
Wally World usually has it. If not, a lot of parts stores have it.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 30, 2010, 10:03 PM »
Is stabil similar to seafoam? Wally-world carries stabil, but no seafoam. They also have some "enzyme" product in the marine section which mentions cleaning up carbon and ethanol issues in fuel. Didn't get time to run to NAPA or out to the local boat dealer before having to head to work.

Offline xcr440

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 01, 2010, 08:23 AM »
Stabil is a fuel stabalizer  and sea foam is a stabalizer/cleaner.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 01, 2010, 12:52 PM »
The Marine stabil is also a stabilizer and cleaner. Just costs less and takes less stabil per gallon to treat the fuel.

Offline xcr440

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 01, 2010, 02:24 PM »

As stabil states, their marine forumla contains DOUBLE the corrision preventer and FOUR TIMES the fuel system cleaner.

Offline JigginRod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 01, 2010, 09:30 PM »
Thanks for all the great info guys!  ;D Cant wait to get that 4 stroke runnin and start cuttin some holes!!

Offline bri

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 02, 2010, 01:06 PM »
Fill us in on the stabil issue....Can't leave us hanging like that.

When summerizing my sled (old '98 XC 600) I would add the appropriate amount of Stabil to the gas tank, fill it up (to prevent condensation) then run it a bit, shut off gas and finish by draining the bowls.

Two years in a row the fuel smelled like varnish when I took it out of storage for the early-winter startup.  I'd be lucky to get the sled to pop-ff, if it did it wouldn't even idle.  Drained the Stabil-treated fuel, added new fuel and everything was fine.  The first year I attributed it to my fault (bad gas, too much Stabil maybe?), the second year I threw out the bottle of Stabil and went to Seafoam for my gas-stabilization needs.  Haven't looked back...

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 02, 2010, 01:13 PM »
When summerizing my sled (old '98 XC 600) I would add the appropriate amount of Stabil to the gas tank, fill it up (to prevent condensation) then run it a bit, shut off gas and finish by draining the bowls.

Two years in a row the fuel smelled like varnish when I took it out of storage for the early-winter startup.  I'd be lucky to get the sled to pop-ff, if it did it wouldn't even idle.  Drained the Stabil-treated fuel, added new fuel and everything was fine.  The first year I attributed it to my fault (bad gas, too much Stabil maybe?), the second year I threw out the bottle of Stabil and went to Seafoam for my gas-stabilization needs.  Haven't looked back...
I had the same problem with stabil. Since then i only use seafoam and have not had a problem since Which has been several years.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.