The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: 5" Lazer  (Read 3193 times)

Offline Spawnwalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
5" Lazer
« on: Jan 27, 2010, 05:57 AM »
Well...I decided to downsize from a 6' Lazer to a 5". So when I drilled my first holes yesterday with it I wasn't real impressed. It seemed that my old 6" would cut easier. So I'm wondering if any one else has experienced this? Maybe just a bad auger or is it common for these 5's to act this way.
Death from above

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
Re: 5" Lazer
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2010, 07:03 AM »
Maybe a bad set of blades...my 5" works fine
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline 1buckeye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2010, 08:07 AM »
Check your blades. Some are made in China and are junk. You want the ones made in Sweden.

Offline Sarbinator

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2010, 08:39 AM »
if its brand new its just diggin in, they get better with use, but not to much use!!!!
I just got a lazer 8" what a workout, should have got a 6 or maybe 5 ,
but my motto go big or go home, gets me in trouble alot

pain is temporary, wounds heal, and chicks dig scars!!!

Offline oletimer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2010, 08:46 AM »
I have an 8" lazer and a 4" mora. Both cut very well, the 4" is at least 12 years old, I bought new blades for it a few years ago, they are still in the package. My son just used it for perch fishing a couple weeks ago and said it still outcuts a power auger.

Offline arcticcatz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2010, 08:47 AM »
Yea, it will bet better, You can spray some cooking spray on it and that helps alot.

Offline CBGale2

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • What Lake, How Deep, and What Color?
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2010, 10:50 AM »
There is a long story behind this that has to do with Gander Mnt.  But I was told by Strikemaster that if you buy one of their lazers new and its not cutting good to get ahold of them and they will swap the China made blades (if thats what you have), for some Svedish ones.  Give them a holler, I cant confirm thats what they'll do but thats what I was told by them via email.
Posted via my rotary dial telephone.

Bikini Ice Fishing Team Fluffer/ProStaff

Offline Spawnwalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2010, 10:54 AM »
I took it back this morning and exchanged it. The new one cuts much easier. The first one must have been beat around to much during shipping. Everything is good now. On a side note...fishing wasn't very good for me this AM.
Death from above

Offline crappietime

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2010, 11:06 AM »
I bought a 7" lazer a couple years ago and it really cut hard and after a few holes one of the blades cracked in half. The blades were China blades, so I contacted Strikemaster and they sent me brand new Sweddish blade for free. The Sweddish blades are much better.

Offline WMWW

• IceShanty Rookie
  • WMWW
« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2010, 11:14 AM »
did you happend to buy it at Gander on 28th? If so, you prolly bought the one I had taken back a week er so ago. I bought a 5" and it cut like like crap. When I took it back they let me return it and I decided to go with the six instead. When I went to exchange it the manager told they cashier that they were going to resell it as new. I told the girl that it was defected and didnt cut right. She assured me that she knew it was defected but the manager said it looked fine and to put it back on the shelf. I couldnt believe they were going to do that.
WMWW

Offline Spawnwalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 27, 2010, 11:30 AM »
did you happend to buy it at Gander on 28th? If so, you prolly bought the one I had taken back a week er so ago. I bought a 5" and it cut like like crap. When I took it back they let me return it and I decided to go with the six instead. When I went to exchange it the manager told they cashier that they were going to resell it as new. I told the girl that it was defected and didnt cut right. She assured me that she knew it was defected but the manager said it looked fine and to put it back on the shelf. I couldnt believe they were going to do that.

I bought mine at a local bait shop in Coloma.
Death from above

Offline Spawnwalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 27, 2010, 11:43 AM »
Also thanks for the heads up on the Chinese blades and the free exchange.
Death from above

Offline superslabs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2010, 12:11 PM »
What is the deal with Srikemaster. They have put the great name on the line to save a few bucks. A general rule of thumb if its made in China it is crap.
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Offline CBGale2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 27, 2010, 01:24 PM »
WMWW, I read you comment about this on MS.com awhile back, I contacted Strikemaster about it and let them know what happened.  Gander had nothing to loose, it was Strikemaster's reputation that gets hurt by them putting a deffective item back out.  Below are the emails I got back about it, Red was from the customer service, blue was from the management.

We are not sure why Gander Mountain would do that.  The issue that the gentleman was experiencing was due to the blades that were on his auger.  If he would have contacted us we would have sent him a new set of blades to correct the problem.  The Chinese blades seem to pose a problem so we send out Swedish blades and that seems to take care of the cutting issues.  He may experience the same problems with the new auger as well. 

We are not sure if Gander will put new blades on the drill and sell it at a discounted price since it was used or not. 

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.  Your email will be forwarded onto our management. 

Sincerely,
StrikeMaster Corp.

THANK YOU CHARLIE! I WILL TAKE UP WITH GANDER MT. CORPORATE.

Ray Peterson
StrikeMaster Corporation

Offline 69Stingray

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Here fishy fishy.
« Reply #14 on: Jan 27, 2010, 02:51 PM »
i just bought a 6" a few weeks ago.  It seems to cut fine, but now i gotta go outside and check if they are chinese or swed. Or do all of them come with chinese? And just the replacements are Swedes?

Offline Spawnwalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 27, 2010, 03:08 PM »
i just bought a 6" a few weeks ago.  It seems to cut fine, but now i gotta go outside and check if they are chinese or swed. Or do all of them come with chinese? And just the replacements are Swedes?

When I talked to Strikemaster it sounded to me like they send them out with both. Unless some of the augers are newer models with the chinese blades.
Death from above

Offline WMWW

• IceShanty Rookie
  • WMWW
« Reply #16 on: Jan 27, 2010, 04:19 PM »
WMWW, I read you comment about this on MS.com awhile back, I contacted Strikemaster about it and let them know what happened.  Gander had nothing to loose, it was Strikemaster's reputation that gets hurt by them putting a deffective item back out.  Below are the emails I got back about it, Red was from the customer service, blue was from the management.

We are not sure why Gander Mountain would do that.  The issue that the gentleman was experiencing was due to the blades that were on his auger.  If he would have contacted us we would have sent him a new set of blades to correct the problem.  The Chinese blades seem to pose a problem so we send out Swedish blades and that seems to take care of the cutting issues.  He may experience the same problems with the new auger as well. 

We are not sure if Gander will put new blades on the drill and sell it at a discounted price since it was used or not. 

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.  Your email will be forwarded onto our management. 

Sincerely,
StrikeMaster Corp.

THANK YOU CHARLIE! I WILL TAKE UP WITH GANDER MT. CORPORATE.

Ray Peterson
StrikeMaster Corporation

I guess I should of emailed them myself the first place. Thats pretty cool that they emailed you back and are gonna further look into it. Thanks for keeping me posted.
WMWW

Offline CBGale2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 27, 2010, 04:45 PM »
I guess I should of emailed them myself the first place. Thats pretty cool that they emailed you back and are gonna further look into it. Thanks for keeping me posted.

Sorry, didnt mean to butt into your business on that whole deal, but after I read your post it kinda pee'd me off, and I was mad at Gander for being rude to my father-in-law which was very uncalled for a couple weeks prior to that. 

I sent them the email and repeated what you had said, a few hours later I got the reply from the CS person and about 15 minutes later the management..... I was pretty impressed by them, I figured they'd just ignore it, but it sounds like they where taking it pretty serious, which I dont blame them.  If I were in your shoes I would have returned it to Gander also, but Gander should have contacted Strikemaster and sent it back or whatever, not just put a product back on the shelf that they where told was not working properly.

Offline WMWW

• IceShanty Rookie
  • WMWW
« Reply #18 on: Jan 27, 2010, 04:53 PM »
Sorry, didnt mean to butt into your business on that whole deal, but after I read your post it kinda pee'd me off, and I was mad at Gander for being rude to my father-in-law which was very uncalled for a couple weeks prior to that. 

I sent them the email and repeated what you had said, a few hours later I got the reply from the CS person and about 15 minutes later the management..... I was pretty impressed by them, I figured they'd just ignore it, but it sounds like they where taking it pretty serious, which I dont blame them.  If I were in your shoes I would have returned it to Gander also, but Gander should have contacted Strikemaster and sent it back or whatever, not just put a product back on the shelf that they where told was not working properly.

dont worry about butting in at all. I'm glad someone emailed them. I didnt even think about doing that. I am getting real fed up wih ganders service. I just tryed to call them yesterday to make sure they had a vex battery before I went in and the first time I called they put me threw to fishing and it rang 20 times and none picked up. I then called back and told the girl on the phone what happend and she put me threw again and this time a guy answerd and told me they did have them and hung up on me before I could even ask how much.
WMWW

Offline CBGale2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 27, 2010, 05:21 PM »
dont worry about butting in at all. I'm glad someone emailed them. I didnt even think about doing that. I am getting real fed up wih ganders service. I just tryed to call them yesterday to make sure they had a vex battery before I went in and the first time I called they put me threw to fishing and it rang 20 times and none picked up. I then called back and told the girl on the phone what happend and she put me threw again and this time a guy answerd and told me they did have them and hung up on me before I could even ask how much.

They where probably to busy packing up all the ice fishing gear to answer the phone.

Offline RobLII

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 27, 2010, 05:31 PM »
I up graded from a 6" mora to a 8" lazer last year. The lazer was a workout and did not cut well. I bought replacement blades this year and IMO it cuts like a hot knife thru butter. I did not know about contacting the company about the china blades.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #21 on: Jan 27, 2010, 05:42 PM »
I have a small assortment of Lazer's in different sizes. They all cut very fast and smooth. It does get a little harder to turn as you go up in size. I use the 4" and 5" the most for panfish. When you get the right blades on them you will love that 5". I don't understand why they don't do away with the chinese crap.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline 69Stingray

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Here fishy fishy.
« Reply #22 on: Jan 27, 2010, 07:34 PM »
is there a stamping on the blades indicating where they are made?

Offline Spawnwalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 27, 2010, 07:38 PM »
is there a stamping on the blades indicating where they are made?

Yes, they said if you can't see it by just looking at the bottom of the blades you will have to take them off.
Death from above

Offline WOODWISE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 27, 2010, 09:13 PM »
which adaptor are u using and where did u get it?or home made, was gonna make one but found some for under 20.00 not worth the time to make for 20 bucks I rather buy it.

Offline krayfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 28, 2010, 09:15 AM »
i just talked to strikemaster on the phone about my blades on my lazer 6" hand auger that i bought about a month ago.....it has Chinese blades on it and it cuts like crap.
i gave them the serial # off the bottom of the blades.they are going to send me new Swedish blades for free.all i had to do was give them my name,address,zip code,date of purchase,and where i bought it from.great customer service cant wait to try these new blades.here is the # to call them 763-263-8999 Hope this helps some of you guys

Offline Spawnwalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 28, 2010, 03:47 PM »
Just called Strikemaster and my new blades are on the way as of tomorrow. Great customer service.
Death from above

Offline 69Stingray

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Here fishy fishy.
« Reply #27 on: Jan 28, 2010, 05:08 PM »
I talked to strikemaster today too.  What a pleasure the woman was to talk to there.  Ive cursed out a few customer service reps in my day.  Apparently they know the chinese blades are garbage.  All she wanted was my mailing info after she confirmed the serial # on my s**ty blades.  New swedes are on the way.  Im excited! 

Offline krayfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 28, 2010, 06:07 PM »
I talked to strikemaster today too.  What a pleasure the woman was to talk to there.  Ive cursed out a few customer service reps in my day.  Apparently they know the Chinese blades are garbage.  All she wanted was my mailing info after she confirmed the serial # on my s**ty blades.  New swedes are on the way.  I'm excited! 

roger that buddy!!!! cant wait to see how these new blades make such a huge difference,and yes the lady i talked to was great to talk to.she didn't even hesitate on giving me new blades.so pumped to try it out ;D ;D ;D

Offline dgb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Gill Time!
« Reply #29 on: Jan 28, 2010, 07:11 PM »
Lost my 5 inch auger last year and got a new one for xmas. Put it on my drill and went to the lake and drilled about 5 holes and the battery was done,,,,this is a lithium battery i paid as much for as the drill....worked great last year until i lost the thing off the drill down the hole..."dumb arss". Well i always bring the handle along incase something happens and when I caught a hole by hand i thought   man this cuts like junk....was about ready to take it back to the store in battle creek we where it was bought....Well hope this is the problem.

Just brought mine in the house out of the garage...wow it is cold tonight....took them off and sure enough "made in china"....go figure....more junk from china.....lost a job once by sending work to china...well strikemaster will be getting a call from me tomorrow. Glad I read this post.....thanks guys.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.