The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: How to store an auger for summer?  (Read 1158 times)

Offline 207 in the 406

• Team IceShanty Addict
How to store an auger for summer?
« on: Mar 14, 2015, 04:13 PM »
Hi all!
So now that I have a new gas auger that runs (third one was the charm!), it's time to get it safely tucked away so it can cut it's first hole ever next winter. Having never owned a gas powered anything besides my car, what the heck do I need to do with it to keep it happy and healthy for next season? Also, what about the gallon of mixed gas I have (High octane ethanol free)? Will that still be good come December?
Thanks for your help, everyone!

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Re: How to store an auger for summer?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 14, 2015, 04:37 PM »
IF, and only if, you use(d) Amsoil Sabre Synthetic 100:1 2 cycle lubricant, with stabilizer already in that lubricant, mixed with ethanol free gasoline to fuel your auger, nothing else need be done.       ;)2

Just run the auger mid summer and again early fall ~ the fuel helps prevent 'dried out' gaskets in the carburetor.

The above system has worked for me since 1988.  Some folks may have other ideas that have been proven to be of zero value and waste your financial resources. The choice is yours: Very easy with the best or play the silly games and lose.  Some may involve premix of doubtful quality.  Please take this only as a fair warning of doom. 

If you used any other 2 cycle oil, prepare for a 'Cluster Party'.

It can involve dumping the fuel from the auger, fogging the auger, adding some sort of stabilizer to any fuel to be saved for next season.

Some folks dump 'End of Season' leftover mixed fuel into their gas operated vehicle.

Good Luck.     ;)2

A little reading material at this link :    http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/motor-oil/2-stroke/saber-professional-synthetic-2-stroke-oil/?code=ATPPK-EA

You are lucky, 207 in the 406, being in Helena with nearly a dozen places for ethanol free gas.

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=MT

Offline Fortpeck1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 14, 2015, 09:22 PM »
Dump out what fuel is in it.
Go to napa and buy a con of premixed gas that is ethanol free premium gas , It should have synthetic oil in it.
put some in your auger and start and run it about 3 minutes and put it away for the winter.
It costs about $6.00 a quart but it is worth it, I run it in all my small 2cyl engines.
As for your gallon of mixed gas, run through your lawn mower.
Gas is cheap compared to repair costs.

Offline eyewinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 17, 2015, 12:52 PM »
". . .dumping the fuel from the auger's tank, (then running the auger dry of fuel), fogging the auger. . ."

Did the above (to Jiffy Model 30 three h.p.) at end of ice each of the last 15 seasons.  Sold auger to a satisfied customer this past December for about $100 less than I paid for it new.
"We are hunters. . .when the buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice. . ."  Sioux war chief

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 17, 2015, 05:42 PM »
Get some aviation fuel and mix as per your oil mfg.
Dump the gas in auger out, fill with the av-gas mixture run for a few minutes and put it away.
For all intents and purposes av-gas has no alcohol or water and doesn't go bad!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.