Author Topic: Newfound Lake?  (Read 2082 times)

Offline onehook

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Shack Trout
Newfound Lake?
« on: Dec 16, 2007, 09:55 PM »
Is there any ice formin yet? I have never fished Newfound before...how is the rainbow and laker fishing? I heard they have a derby there for lakers?

Offline newfoundpleasure

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Newfound Lake?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2007, 04:46 AM »
Hello onehook,

I have a place on Newfound and fished it last year.  I did OK, but seem to do better at Winnisquam.  My hardside will be at Winnisquam and I'll use my portable to try different areas of Newfound this year.  Newfound holds alot of smaller lakers, that's why the min is 15" not 18" on Newfound.
Chances of catching 15lb ers are better on the Squams, but Newfound probably has fish approaching 30lbs.  I know that with the fishing pressure over the past 10 yrs, the chances of catching trophies anywhere is getting alot more difficult.  Takes fish awhile to grow that big.  basically a pound a year for Lakers.
I haven't been to my cottage in a few weeks.  I'd also like to know how the ICE is forming on Newfound.

Offline dugmore29

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • New Hampshire Native
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2007, 07:57 AM »
you just need to know where to fish-obviosly.been fishin for trout at this lake all my life.anybody go to the alexandria derby last year,all i got to say is 16.5 pounder.those fish are in there just buying my time.one of the cleanest lakes in the country. i can close my windows on my bobhouse and on a sunny day i can see bottom at 25 feet. try that on winnisquam or winni.so fish those other lakes and leave newfound for me. ;D ;D :o :o
\"Since they call it tourist SEASON,why cant we shoot them?\"

Offline dugmore29

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • New Hampshire Native
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2007, 08:01 AM »
went by yesterday at night and what i saw was all white all the way to mayhew island. looks like its forming dont know how thick.-------- 
\"Since they call it tourist SEASON,why cant we shoot them?\"

Offline newfoundpleasure

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2007, 10:11 AM »
you just need to know where to fish-obviosly.been fishin for trout at this lake all my life.anybody go to the alexandria derby last year,all i got to say is 16.5 pounder.those fish are in there just buying my time.one of the cleanest lakes in the country. i can close my windows on my bobhouse and on a sunny day i can see bottom at 25 feet. try that on winnisquam or winni.so fish those other lakes and leave newfound for me. ;D ;D :o :o
:-X
Shhhhhhhhh!  Don't tell em Dugmore.. LOL
I'm actually fishing Winnisquam cuz my Dads' preference.  He doesn't like Newfound for what ever reason.  I just started icefishing last yr cuz he started going blind and I'm trying to get him outdoors as much as possible while we can.  He gave up Ice fishing years ago, but it use to be his 2nd favorite thing to do behind deer hunting.  He has tons of pictures of the 5-12 pound lakers he use to take out of Winnisquam in the 60's and 70's.  He's got his favorite spot and I just want to get out there with him as much as I can.  If it was for me alone, I'd hit Newfound everyday to learn the lake and find my hot spot.  I was fishing off Cummings Beach the day the 16.5 pounder was caught.  I have a handful of spots scattered around the lake that I'd like to try.
I did lose a MONSTER Salmon right in front of me last Spring fishing off my dock.  It broke off 15lb test line first jump like it was nothing. 
"Don't take Salmon through the ice...."
Again, if it was me, I'd be hitting Newfound every waking minute.  But tryin to keep the Ol'man happy.
And thank you for the report.  I work 3rd shift in Nashua and I believe I'll be heading up on Wednesday to check things out.

Offline huntr-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2007, 10:19 AM »
HEY GOOD FOR YOU ! ITS NICE TO GIVE BACK TO THE PEOPLE THAT TAUGHT US ! MAYHEW, WHITTEMORE, CUMMINGS COVE, AND THE STATE BEACH ARE ALL GREAT ! THE ICE CAN BE TRICKY THOUGH.BUCKTAIL JIGS WORK WELL ALL SEASON LONG,EITHER TIPPED WITH CUT BAIT OR NOT.
There must be a twelve step program for this

Offline Fishback

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I-I-I-I-I-I-I-CE!!!!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2007, 05:46 PM »
Lets hope that the Newfound Derby won't have the same weather as last year! That was brutal. I think that 90% of all the fishing was out off of Hebron Beach. After 2 laps around the lake we ended up there with nothing to show for it.

We got a room over at the Bridgewater Inn. That was a good time. Too good of a time.
The pool table is not pay per game. You rent the billiard balls by the hour. Once the bar started to fill up, we started playing people for drinks. Franklin D. Bones-N-crantz (he who caught the largest tagged rainbow in the history of the universe) and myself won 13 or so games in a row. OUCH!

I took 2 bites of my "C" from Gilly's and had to pull to excuse myself from the table. That was a looooong ride home that day.

We saw 1 fella take 2 nice rainbows in the shallows off of Hebron Beach....but that was it for the whole day! That day a record breaking Cusk was caught. If my memory serves, a fella landed a one and broke the state record for Cusk.

I'm sure we'll end up there again this year. I enjoyed myself.

We park our camper up at Newfound RV Park all summer. So I have become fairly familiar with that area. I like it up there alot. That lake is beautiful.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.