Author Topic: Anyone ever try this unit or have one?  (Read 942 times)

Offline Thumber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Sunset on Merrymeeting Lake 3/18/09
Anyone ever try this unit or have one?
« on: Oct 24, 2009, 09:33 AM »
Anyone have this unit or know of them, do they work?
Hosted New England Outdoors New Hampshire Fishing Show 1989 to 1994.

Offline Pajns

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • YA JUST GOTTA LOVE IT!!!!
Re: Anyone ever try this unit or have one?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 24, 2009, 09:45 AM »
A guy I Ice fish with now and then has one of them. They show the depth but don't have detail for showing the fish. If just using to find the depth it worked great. I was always worried about dropping it down the hole when I used it.
NEVER lied about the size of the fish I caught.....just remember them being BIGGER!!

"There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why, I dream of things that never were and ask why not"---RFK

Offline Thumber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 24, 2009, 09:59 AM »
A guy I Ice fish with now and then has one of them. They show the depth but don't have detail for showing the fish. If just using to find the depth it worked great. I was always worried about dropping it down the hole when I used it.

I am just looking to use it for depth sounding.

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 24, 2009, 10:09 AM »
From previous posts, it is my understanding that you have to have clear ice for it to work consistently.  Also, sometimes you have to put some water down on the ice to get a good reading. 

-Jeff

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 24, 2009, 10:15 AM »
You can use a vex the same way. Through some water on the ice and it will read the depth. It's great for checking depth prior to drilling.

timberdoodle

« Reply #5 on: Oct 24, 2009, 10:20 AM »
I have a unit similar to that. The one strikemaster puts out. It works really good up to about 12 inches of ice. You do have to couple the transducer to the ice with water if you can do that it usually will shoot through. I use mine to check depth after I drill a couple holes to read the bottom. In the hole its an instant reading, no need to get the sounder out. I think the one pictured has more power then the unit I have, so it might shoot through the ice even a little better. It is a little tricky getting the water to hook the transducer to the ice though. I have found later in the season its almost as easy to drill a hole and check the depth. Early season when the ice is 6 or less and clear the thing works like magic. The vex unit also floats.

Offline deerme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 24, 2009, 10:40 AM »
i bought one of these, but ended up sending it back to buy the lowrance flasher.  if there's snow on the ice or the ice isn't clear, forget about an accurate reading.  you might as well just cut a hole and sound it.

a flasher is a bit more expensive, but well worth it!!  ask ANYONE who has one  ;D

Offline Thumber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 24, 2009, 10:55 AM »
Thanks, I have a flasher and a regular on screen sonar, Just looking for something that would work with out drilling first, especially when going to a new lake or pond. These look small enough to put in your pocket.

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #8 on: Oct 24, 2009, 11:12 AM »
I have a unit similar to that. The one strikemaster puts out. It works really good up to about 12 inches of ice. You do have to couple the transducer to the ice with water if you can do that it usually will shoot through. I use mine to check depth after I drill a couple holes to read the bottom. In the hole its an instant reading, no need to get the sounder out. I think the one pictured has more power then the unit I have, so it might shoot through the ice even a little better. It is a little tricky getting the water to hook the transducer to the ice though. I have found later in the season its almost as easy to drill a hole and check the depth. Early season when the ice is 6 or less and clear the thing works like magic. The vex unit also floats.
i have the strike master and i like it.....great for scouting areas......i usually pop a hole and take depth that way.....can never get it to work through the ice.....helps with set up
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline wshnIwsfshn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 24, 2009, 11:49 AM »
I use a fishing buddy has water temp /depth and can look out to the sides with the side finder

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.