Author Topic: hard shanty anchor..  (Read 1196 times)

Offline tippin2back

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • HOUSE ON THE LAKE WITH NO TAXES!
hard shanty anchor..
« on: Oct 08, 2009, 05:00 PM »
i usually drill 4 holes through the ice, and tie a rope to a piece of wood and send it down the hole, and anchor the shanty that way, but combining those holes to the 3 i drill to fish out of, it kinda swiss cheezes the ice around the house......when we get a warm spell with rain for a week, makes me wonder during the week what all those holes are doing around my shanty when im not there......just wondering what you all do.....is there a better way??
ICE TO THE TOP PLEASE!!!.....

Offline Thumber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Sunset on Merrymeeting Lake 3/18/09
Re: hard shanty anchor..
« Reply #1 on: Oct 08, 2009, 06:46 PM »
Well you got anchor the house, I use 4 lines,I drill my holes drop the lines down, wood to me is not a good idea, using a brick to me is the best anchor, come spring and you cannot retrieve the anchor at least they will sink to the bottom where the wood would float around.
Hosted New England Outdoors New Hampshire Fishing Show 1989 to 1994.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 08, 2009, 07:37 PM »
I have a 4" Nils hand auger that I drill my tie down holes with. Nils hand augers are one of the best if you haven't used one before. I take a 2 x and tie a piece of rope to it and leave about 3 feet of rope. Send the 2 x down the hole and tie a loop on the other end of the rope. I use a ratchet tie down from the loop to the house eyelet.
Easy to adjust and easy to tie down tight. The 4" tie down holes freeze up nice and when they do open up, there smaller than a 10" hole.

JIGGIN.

Offline ice 45

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 08, 2009, 08:53 PM »
Ya i would use something that sinks because wood floating on the water in the spring is no good for boats.

"The temptation to quit will be greatest just before you are about to succeed."

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #4 on: Oct 09, 2009, 01:26 PM »
We use 2 crampons that are usually used for ice climbing.  They screw into the ice and we attach ropes to these, at opposite corners.  They work very well holding our shanty in the stiff breeze at Newfound.  You can buy them at EMS.  When we move we just unscrew them and reposition when we get a new spot.  They have worked great for the last 6 years.  Hope this helps.

Offline rockhound57

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Oct 09, 2009, 04:01 PM »
We use 2 crampons that are usually used for ice climbing.  They screw into the ice and we attach ropes to these, at opposite corners.  They work very well holding our shanty in the stiff breeze at Newfound.  You can buy them at EMS.  When we move we just unscrew them and reposition when we get a new spot.  They have worked great for the last 6 years.  Hope this helps.

I looked at those once, until I saw the price:    :woot: 4 of them were more than my house is worth! :sick:
 they called them ice drills
      live free or die in NH, fish western ME

Offline pirkaus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Is it safe? You go first.
« Reply #6 on: Oct 10, 2009, 06:09 PM »
Floater or sinker it's polluting :(
Tie a loop of rope on your anchor of choice, 
drill a hole next to you anhcor and retrieve it when you cut free
Pirk
It's hard for us turkeys to work.....                                    while dodging S#!* from soaring eagles

timberdoodle

« Reply #7 on: Oct 11, 2009, 08:34 AM »
I usually go out and cut four 12-14 inch limbs an inch or so around. They only need to hold untill it freezes back over. If you can find dry ones, by the time the ice melts they will be so waterlogged they will sink. Natural timber is not what I'd consider polluting the water.

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #8 on: Oct 12, 2009, 07:47 AM »
I looked at those once, until I saw the price:    :woot: 4 of them were more than my house is worth! :sick:
 they called them ice drills
We got ours as a present, so I have no idea what the price is.  They do work slick and seem to last.  Good luck.

Offline KissMyBassNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • KissMyTroutNH ?
« Reply #9 on: Oct 15, 2009, 01:12 PM »
lol how is a brick or a piece of wood polluting the water, the amount of trash and other stuff like left on the ice not to mention the amount of people that **censored** or crap or spill gas on the ice to me is a much bigger deal then a piece of wood or a brick.  :nono:

even if you left the wood in the thing would most likely be on shore by the time the ice is gone. i dont see to many boats out on lakes the first day the ice is gone and a small limb or stick isnt going to hurt a boat in my opinion

Catch A Buzz

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.