Author Topic: Tip up spool replacement  (Read 1689 times)

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Tip up spool replacement
« on: Mar 10, 2018, 07:26 AM »
I was given 14 old wood tip ups that I would like to refinish before I pack up the gear for the summer. I have used HT Polars the years I have fished so I don’t have much stick tip up experience. Any thoughts about best practices? What’s a good spool to use? Some of the spools are nailed into the tip up so I will like need to come up with a nut/bolt combination.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: Tip up spool replacement
« Reply #1 on: Mar 10, 2018, 07:59 AM »
heck some of my loaners stick tip ups I used the spools that the tip up line comes on.lol.mason line spools work decent.

Offline youngblood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 10, 2018, 08:03 AM »
Not really sure what you fish for or what the tip ups you have look like. FishUSA carries Heritage tip up parts.The spools are large which I like but may be over kill for panfish. They may not work with the trip wire on your tips ether. https://www.fishusa.com/Ice-Fishing/Tip-Up-Parts-Accessories

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 10, 2018, 09:18 AM »
Thanks for your thoughts young blood and good Doctor. I like the heritage spools with the crank, that seems to be very helpful. I’ll keep my eyes open for sales, don’t want to break the bank for what will be backup traps and a set for my daughter.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 10, 2018, 09:45 AM »
Not really sure what you fish for or what the tip ups you have look like. FishUSA carries Heritage tip up parts.The spools are large which I like but may be over kill for panfish. They may not work with the trip wire on your tips ether. https://www.fishusa.com/Ice-Fishing/Tip-Up-Parts-Accessories

Generally target toothy critters

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Mar 10, 2018, 11:32 AM »

ATC check fish USA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 10, 2018, 09:02 PM »

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor