Author Topic: Hub Shack Floor  (Read 1793 times)

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Hub Shack Floor
« on: Mar 31, 2021, 10:21 PM »
I do a good amount of overnight camping in my clam six pack. I’ve been using the foam floor mats and they’re ok. But would love something up off the ice and that could even be kind of mobile in a way. I really like the idea of the below link. Anyone ever make anything like this? Any ideas ?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OL-34KZL8EA&feature=youtu.be

Tight Lines!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
Re: Hub Shack Floor
« Reply #1 on: Apr 01, 2021, 08:35 AM »

“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Apr 01, 2021, 10:09 AM »
I've never made anything like it and have never seen anything like it.  I can offer a couple of observations.  First, I think the floor looked awful heavy and it clearly looks like you would need a machine to pull it.  Second, it appears to be pretty low, maybe six inches off the ice.  Therefore, taking it out on a lake with uneven ice would be nearly impossible.  If I were going to make one, I would make it so that it was a foot or more off the ice.  Then I would cut the hole in the floor the size of a five gallon bucket.  I would cut the bottom off the bucket and slide it into the holes down to the ice, making a seal so that the snow doesn't blow in the holes from under the shanty.  We use to do this with the permanent shanties we made for the Saginaw Bay.  Third  I would add some sort of clips or hooks that you could attach the hub to the floor.  Without this, every time a slight breeze blew, the shanty would be walking off the flooring.  Having said that the concept looks to be pretty neat, with some needed tweaks!  If you do decide to go this route, please get back with us and show us the result.  Thanks for sharing!

Great insight! Thanks for offering some great points. I definitely wouldn’t be pulling this out by hand. Machine for sure. I’m thinking I’d either put some eye bolts on the outside to anchor too or just anchor to the ice. I’ve also seen people use clamps to pin the skirt down to keep it from flapping in the wind.
Tight Lines!

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Apr 02, 2021, 07:47 AM »
I stay overnight often in my clam Yukon. I kick back and sleep in a recliner style camp chair. Keeps you at just the right height where all the heat is! Works better than any light weight cot for my style shelter.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Apr 02, 2021, 05:11 PM »
There is a commercial version- kind of. This is a trailer that you take your machine on and then take the machine off and pull the trailer. I saw Dave Genz has a snowmobile trailer that he pulls onto the ice with his bearcat. He puts his gear on it, and if there is a crew guys can ride on it too. He has aluminum skis that go on the wheels if there is snow for easier pulling. With all these larger sleds, bad conditions will make it hard to pull them.

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Apr 02, 2021, 06:56 PM »
Thanks for posting! Cool concept. I feel like a snowmobile would tear that thing up though. I also like to be on the lighter side of things when it comes to the ice. Especially around me in NH. We really don’t get a ton of ice like MN. And I’d hate for that canvas to get salt and sand on it. I don’t think that shield will do much.
Tight Lines!

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Apr 02, 2021, 08:39 PM »
Guy is wearing a Packers tee shirt. I wouldn’t trust him.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Apr 02, 2021, 10:27 PM »
Guy is wearing a Packers tee shirt. I wouldn’t trust him.
We are everywhere...except Wheaton...maybe not Tampa Bay either ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.