Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Clear Lake YBB  (Read 8748 times)

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Clear Lake YBB
« Reply #30 on: Feb 13, 2019, 11:43 AM »
Someone said that certain places in the tournament get nothing but lower positions win something nice and they felt this was wrong. I think that's how that huge tournament in Minnesota is run and it adds to the allure and luck factor. If you catch a skinny fish, bang you win an F150. You catch a fat fish, you get nothing. I will most likely never see Clear Lake again but that's one way to keep things interesting.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Feb 13, 2019, 01:00 PM »
Someone said that certain places in the tournament get nothing but lower positions win something nice and they felt this was wrong. I think that's how that huge tournament in Minnesota is run and it adds to the allure and luck factor. If you catch a skinny fish, bang you win an F150. You catch a fat fish, you get nothing. I will most likely never see Clear Lake again but that's one way to keep things interesting.
I thought the big tourney in MN was setup for 1-150th place or something like that. Prizes are all great and throughout the hole board. 50th May be an ice castle, last place may be a new truck or boat. I’m not sure. But prizes are all good prizes and all you have to do is place in the payout. Unlike the YBB, where you can put in all the scouting and hard work to catch your 30 only to win nothing. It used to be fifty. The yellow population has definitely gone down. It’s pretty tough to catch a bucket full there anymore.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Feb 13, 2019, 01:40 PM »
Could be, too lazy to look it up. But I would rather win nothing than something I don't want. I know someone who had to pay taxes because he 'won' $1000 worth of Foxee Jigs and Rapala DT lures. I ended up with some of the foxes jigs so I still chuckle about it when I see them
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Feb 13, 2019, 02:00 PM »
Lets stop the mud flinging, back on topic. If you have suggestions on how to make things better maybe get a hold of Kevan or anyone else that runs the tournament.

Agree. Kevan is a great guy and puts on a great event.

Offline BigSling

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Feb 13, 2019, 05:33 PM »

Several tournaments are run similarly for that reason. Last weekend the Ice Castle Classic was held on Lac Qui Parle in MN. I came in 4th and won a FL-18. The guy who came in 5th won a Kawasaki Mule. Having a chance at winning something nice even if you know you didn't catch a monster adds to the excitement when the weigh-in rolls around.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Feb 13, 2019, 06:25 PM »
Several tournaments are run similarly for that reason. Last weekend the Ice Castle Classic was held on Lac Qui Parle in MN. I came in 4th and won a FL-18. The guy who came in 5th won a Kawasaki Mule. Having a chance at winning something nice even if you know you didn't catch a monster adds to the excitement when the weigh-in rolls around.
I agree 100 percent with that. My problem with the YBB is that the fl18 you won would be consider one of the top prizes.

Offline frozen eyelet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Feb 14, 2019, 08:04 AM »
I don't know how many years they have had tournament but after we realized last year that we were fishing a week after the ybb that there had probably been alot of fish removed that we weren't going to catch.
I thought I had heard that over 4,000 fish had been caught each year over the last few years?
I don't have the information to back that up just saying something that I had heard.  But if trues that alot of fish removed, if that had happened 3 years in a row that would be 12,000 fish gone plus you have the guided trips that keep their fish every year also.

The invasive fish is being is being removed as needed but it is also bringing a good amount of money into Clear Lake for the weekend and I'm sure the businesses appreciate it. 
Sometimes tough to keep the balance and keep a community happy.  I do enjoy traveling up there a couple times a year.
Have LiveScope, will Travel.....

Offline Bates

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Feb 14, 2019, 11:59 AM »

Offline hotrod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Feb 14, 2019, 07:10 PM »
To each their own on the YBB...

As for the population in that lake the pic attached is spot on.  There is a year-class or 2 of fish that are missing from Clear Lake.  This was caused by bad spawning conditions.  The Yellows are all pretty much over 9 inches this year.  There are a few of the 6-7 inchers and a few of the 2-4 inchers.  Ratios are about 10:1:2 on those size of fish.  Make for very fun fishing especially when the ice is about 20 inches thick!  Not sure if those big ones will be around next year or not, they simply just don't grow much larger.  It could be a very "down" couple of winters at Clear Lake after this one.
"I never go ice fishing without my Vexilar" ~Dave Genz
www.fishingwithtoddree d.com

Offline Wally Lindner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Feb 15, 2019, 09:08 AM »
Bates is my Hero!🎣
He will Make Fishing Great Again 🇺🇸

Offline Bates

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Feb 15, 2019, 01:25 PM »
Bates is my Hero!🎣
He will Make Fishing Great Again 🇺🇸

Wally, next time your in the states stop up and I'll see if we can get some real YELLOWS.

Offline Wally Lindner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Feb 15, 2019, 01:49 PM »
Right On,  Bates. And I do prefer the vertical striped bass. 🎣

Offline Bates

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Feb 15, 2019, 08:41 PM »
FYI those were late fall 2016 perch. Look at your post about "getting the itch", those perch pics are late fall 2018. Does anything look familiar? When you need more proof with pics of walleyes/perch with the same sink and fillet board let me know. I barely take friends I like to my fishing spots, no chance in hell I'd take you. When will you release your standings at the YBB (Trash fish tournament)?

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Feb 15, 2019, 09:31 PM »
He was 134th place. Turned in two fish. Did better than a lot of the folks entered in the tourney. It was a tough day for a lot of folks.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Feb 16, 2019, 08:13 AM »
Too bad Bryfish, can't choose your family.
:roflmao: :roflmao:

Sure are a lot of pistol bits for sale on Facebook. I see even the folks who got first place have their prize on Facebook for sale also.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Feb 18, 2019, 12:10 PM »
I called it! I knew it. No way someone can win by a pound.

Offline dcmod25

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Feb 18, 2019, 12:23 PM »
that was the big fish pot, turned in a white bass they didn't catch. it was not the winners of the 30 yellow bass weigh in!

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Feb 18, 2019, 12:54 PM »
that was the big fish pot, turned in a white bass they didn't catch. it was not the winners of the 30 yellow bass weigh in!
Apparently I should read the whole thing first. My bad.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #48 on: Feb 18, 2019, 03:26 PM »
Someone said a non-tournament guy gave them the white bass not knowing that whites counted in the tournament as big fish. Then the guy found out the person he gave the fish to won $500+ with a white bass that had to have been similar in size and contacted Kevan... then they admitted it when confronted.

That's hearsay but that's whats floating around the FB groups. Hope they are banned from the YBB and shamed, that's a rotten POS thing to do.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Feb 18, 2019, 04:20 PM »
Someone said a non-tournament guy gave them the white bass not knowing that whites counted in the tournament as big fish. Then the guy found out the person he gave the fish to won $500+ with a white bass that had to have been similar in size and contacted Kevan... then they admitted it when confronted.

That's hearsay but that's whats floating around the FB groups. Hope they are banned from the YBB and shamed, that's a rotten POS thing to do.

Too bad people continue to do stuff like this.  I’m sure they will be banned from the tournament from now on. Too bad the DNR can’t suspend there fishing license for a certain amount of years. That may prevent people from doing dumb things like this.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #50 on: Feb 18, 2019, 08:54 PM »
Kevan has said on facebook that authorities were called right away and he can't speak about it because of the open investigation. DNR should issue a news report if/when they plead guilty.

I would expect them to be serving some jail time after this, they together won $500 cash and gear msrp'd at $500. That's $1000 in value which would be theft by deception in the 2nd degree.. a class D felony which is up to 5 years in prison and $750-7500 fine.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Feb 18, 2019, 09:49 PM »
Kevan has said on facebook that authorities were called right away and he can't speak about it because of the open investigation. DNR should issue a news report if/when they plead guilty.

I would expect them to be serving some jail time after this, they together won $500 cash and gear msrp'd at $500. That's $1000 in value which would be theft by deception in the 2nd degree.. a class D felony which is up to 5 years in prison and $750-7500 fine.

Hope they get something n

Offline Figure ate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Feb 21, 2019, 04:25 PM »
Disclaimer: this info was obtained via gossip from people familiar with the cheaters and story. I dont claim this as fact.

Family members of the original big fish winners caught the white bass that won the tournament. They gave it to the original winners to use as their own. Word got out and karma caught up with them.

The family in question is well known for poaching and being generally immoral people.

As far as consequences go, I happen to personally know the YBB cheater from a previous year. Big fine, no jail time, fishing license suspended for 2 years.

https://globegazette.com/news/local/manly-man-pleads-guilty-to-cheating-in-fishing-contest/article_934deab8-740c-5020-b0b5-b017e5bd61e6.html

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Feb 21, 2019, 04:52 PM »
Disclaimer: this info was obtained via gossip from people familiar with the cheaters and story. I dont claim this as fact.

Family members of the original big fish winners caught the white bass that won the tournament. They gave it to the original winners to use as their own. Word got out and karma caught up with them.

The family in question is well known for poaching and being generally immoral people.

As far as consequences go, I happen to personally know the YBB cheater from a previous year. Big fine, no jail time, fishing license suspended for 2 years.

If they are that dishonest and “known” for poaching, a fishing license ban won’t prevent them from going out. Just might be harder for them to get bait in the Clear Lake area!

Offline Figure ate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Feb 21, 2019, 05:11 PM »
If they are that dishonest and “known” for poaching, a fishing license ban won’t prevent them from going out. Just might be harder for them to get bait in the Clear Lake area!

Exactly, nothing will change because of this. They'll still kill deer with an AR15 and poke a broad head through it like they always did.

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Feb 21, 2019, 06:19 PM »
Exactly, nothing will change because of this. They'll still kill deer with an AR15 and poke a broad head through it like they always did.

Hopefully the fine is LARGE!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.