Author Topic: Is there ice anywhere??  (Read 1896 times)

Offline makomanfish1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Is there ice anywhere??
« on: Dec 25, 2014, 05:46 PM »
starting to go buggers,,, don't want to travel to ends of earth but i see no choice,, i NEED to get some lines wet!!!
with the warm rain and temps, probably not safe anywhere?
Someone PM me let me know the truth!
i will travel if i have to
Call in Sick.
Turn Off Your Phone.
And Go Fishing!

Offline jrkane

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Is there ice anywhere??
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2014, 04:46 AM »
Everything is going to be iffy.  Check for your self.

Offline makomanfish1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2014, 07:43 AM »
WoW "Check For yourself"   Thanks for the help! I thought this was a community, on the ready to help fellow icemen.
i don't want anyones secret fishing hole. i am asking if any lakes,ponds up north are frozen yet.You can even PM me if you don't want your secret out.
When all out there is frozen up. I'll be asking for all your hotspots too.  HaHa 
I'm not mad just dissapointed
Call in Sick.
Turn Off Your Phone.
And Go Fishing!

Offline JTTOOCOOL

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FISH TILL IT HURTS!!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2014, 07:48 AM »
YES I AGREE...THIS WEATHER IS A BUMMER! WAS OUT 3 TIMES HERE IN PA BUT SAFE TO SAY WE LOST OUR SAFE ICE. >:( >:( >:(

BrookieSlayer99

« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2014, 08:05 AM »
Check for your self.
Every pond is going to be different right now. Checking for yourself would be the best bet, as the ice in southern NH is very different from the ice in northern NH.

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2014, 08:08 AM »
WoW "Check For yourself"   Thanks for the help! I thought this was a community, on the ready to help fellow icemen.
i don't want anyones secret fishing hole. i am asking if any lakes,ponds up north are frozen yet.You can even PM me if you don't want your secret out.
When all out there is frozen up. I'll be asking for all your hotspots too.  HaHa 

When almost nothing is frozen any place with ice becomes a hotspot.

If someone posted about safe ice on here the place would be over run the next day.

Time to suck it up and hit the road  ;)
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline haightdaddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 26, 2014, 10:02 AM »
No ice in the nashua area. Just went around and ended up throwing the baitcaster for a little bit. Gonna be a little while before southern areas get anything. I dont blame people for not giving up spots, dog eat dog out there this time of year and spots will get burned. Goodluck on your search and hope you find better ice then i did!
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline fisherhawk55

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 26, 2014, 01:32 PM »
X2 haightdaddy right on ice is going to be late this year

Offline whitewing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 26, 2014, 02:32 PM »
Seven day forcast shows night temps mid and low teens starting on Tues. As Chruchill said, "This is not the beginning of the end, but it is the end of the beginning".

Offline OldCaveman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 26, 2014, 02:47 PM »
  There's a little ice left in my cooler from yesterday.
John

Offline NickM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 26, 2014, 03:04 PM »
I'm in Maine now, so I haven't seen the conditions in NH this year. My advice would be to check the hill towns in the Monadnock region or up around Lebanon/Hanover. Other than that, your only fishable ice is probably in Grafton or Coos county. Even those areas saw a lot of warm temperatures and rain.

Offline ledy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 26, 2014, 08:52 PM »
Mako,
I too was ready to start my ice fishing season and headed out last Monday to find fishable ice. I live in SNH so I headed north checking multiple lakes and ponds on the way. To my surprise I initially not only found no suitable ice, but I could have taken my bass boat out on a few of them if I wanted too. I continued driving north analyzing every piece of water I past. It wasn’t until 3 hours later when I drove through the notch until I found some positive signs as the Basin appeared to be frozen over completely. I continue my search north and eventually found 4-6” of good ice. I was rewarded with flags galore and two nice rainbows to take home for dinner. My guess is even though we are going to be getting some cool weather soon heading north is going to be your best bet for a while. I would tell you exactly where I was but some people on this site would have hissy fits and I don’t want to deal with it. Not only that there are no “Secret spots” as every lake and pond is on the NH map last time I checked. Better yet the NH fish and game post the stocking reports on their web site for everyone to see. My grandmother could find fish, but don’t say that out loud because you might crush some egos, haha! My advice is just take a day and commit to finding fishable ice and you won’t regret it, especially this early in the season. Catching fish isn’t about secret spots is about determination and commitment. Good luck brother and enjoy the season!

Offline makomanfish1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 27, 2014, 07:18 AM »
Mako,
I too was ready to start my ice fishing season and headed out last Monday to find fishable ice. I live in SNH so I headed north checking multiple lakes and ponds on the way. To my surprise I initially not only found no suitable ice, but I could have taken my bass boat out on a few of them if I wanted too. I continued driving north analyzing every piece of water I past. It wasn’t until 3 hours later when I drove through the notch until I found some positive signs as the Basin appeared to be frozen over completely. I continue my search north and eventually found 4-6” of good ice. I was rewarded with flags galore and two nice rainbows to take home for dinner. My guess is even though we are going to be getting some cool weather soon heading north is going to be your best bet for a while. I would tell you exactly where I was but some people on this site would have hissy fits and I don’t want to deal with it. Not only that there are no “Secret spots” as every lake and pond is on the NH map last time I checked. Better yet the NH fish and game post the stocking reports on their web site for everyone to see. My grandmother could find fish, but don’t say that out loud because you might crush some egos, haha! My advice is just take a day and commit to finding fishable ice and you won’t regret it, especially this early in the season. Catching fish isn’t about secret spots is about determination and commitment. Good luck brother and enjoy the season!

Well Transmitted and Recieved
Thanks for the encouragement..I'll be a seaching
Call in Sick.
Turn Off Your Phone.
And Go Fishing!

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #13 on: Dec 27, 2014, 07:23 AM »
I fished in Northern 2/3rds of VT a week ago and good ice was fairly common. Trout lakes are closed but small ponds and mid sized bass, pike ponds were in
decent shape. 6 days later and will not be going out this weekend. Looking at forecast we should be all set for first weekend in Jan but invest in a spud.

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 27, 2014, 09:52 AM »
 :tipup: :tipup:ledy?   Pretty sure I saw you setting up after lunch on one of my local trout ponds.   Second Christmas day for kids so I didn't have time to visit.   I would have mentioned White Mt. pond ice but thought it would be too far north for Christmas trips?
What did you use for bait?  Most of my December trout come on power bait because all of our ponds are now infested with yellow perch!! :P
 Glad your trip was worth the long drive.   
Dick

Offline jrkane

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 27, 2014, 09:56 AM »
Well I just decided to never post to IS ever again.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! 

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 27, 2014, 10:23 AM »
Cheer up, you could always travel to Alaska ;)
If you wantah be a fishah you gotah smoke a swishah!

Offline ledy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 27, 2014, 04:44 PM »
Dick,
Yes, that was me! Pipes18079 told me I might see you up there because that was your neighborhood. He was actually supposed to go fishing but unfortunately he had to work. I actually didn’t plan on going up that far, but like I said I couldn’t find fishable ice so I no choice. A local kid named Emile came out around 3:30 and we chatted till dark. That kid knew that place well and what the fish were doing. He called what the fish were going to do in the evening and was right on!  He’s not on IS but was a cool dude none the less. We stayed till dark. When I got there I put out power bait, a crawler, and meal worms. It wasn’t long till I had all power bait on! It was a good day. That’s a nice area and the ride was enjoyable. Not sure if I will go up to that spot again this year as I like to move around and go to different places until Winni freezes over, but who knows. Maybe Pipes18079 might be up for the ride. Anyway thanks for letting me play in your back yard for a day.

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 27, 2014, 05:13 PM »
there is ice in the lakes region too . 3" of black ice i found today. looks like next wkend this pond will be locked up nicely. no fish though :P

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 27, 2014, 05:28 PM »
 :tipup: :tipup:  ledy,  Your welcome north anytime.  Emil was the first person to fish the pond around Turkey Day ;D  But he only weighs
 125 lbs. ::)  He's a great young fisherman.   
Dick

Offline NHFishah

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Card carrying member of "TEAM FLATLANDER"
« Reply #20 on: Dec 27, 2014, 05:31 PM »
Got out today with Capt. Spike, we got to the lake in the lakes region that he fished last Sat., the recent rain caused it to rise up a few feet so the ice was about 4 to 5 feet from shore and the ice looked very gray. We left and drove further north to our go to first ice lake and it had about 5 inches. We landed a few nice size yellow perch, a couple jumbo white perch, a large mouth, a couple chubs and my first ever hornpout on a jig rod through the ice. Hoping to get back on some ice in the lakes region this coming week. Please be careful out there, carry a spud bar and check as you go and keep your picks around your neck and a throw rope handy.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.