Author Topic: Looking for a fish Finder....  (Read 1349 times)

Offline Nessmuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
Looking for a fish Finder....
« on: Nov 12, 2020, 07:23 PM »
Hi All....looking for a simple fish finder...NOT A FLASHER....around 250.00 if possible..  Just wondering what’s out there now a days....thanks for any help.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Looking for a fish Finder....
« Reply #1 on: Nov 12, 2020, 07:28 PM »
do you mean an underwater camera ?
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline Swinekicker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 12, 2020, 07:49 PM »
I would employ you to watch fb marketplace for a used helix 5 chirp. Probably am not going to get a shuttle or ice ducer, but you can make a shuttle and do the loop trick with an open water ducer to make it work. That is what I did for my "guest" finder last year and it worked as well as my helix 7 ice.

Offline Nessmuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 12, 2020, 08:03 PM »
do you mean an underwater camera ?

Is there something like a fish finder on a boat ? That flasher stuff gives me a headache.

Offline struckus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 12, 2020, 08:15 PM »
garmin striker 4 portable bundle..they make an ice fishing bundle also..unreal for the price

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 12, 2020, 08:20 PM »
garmin striker 4 portable bundle..they make an ice fishing bundle also..unreal for the price
X2, great unit for the price

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #7 on: Nov 12, 2020, 08:35 PM »
For around $200 you can pick up an old/used garmin 400.  I have used mine for over 10 years and it just keeps ticking 256 color screen, quite sensative, picks up a 3/8's jig 2" off the bottom in 50 feet of water. Uses a 12 volt motorcycle battery for 7 hour when sensitivity is cranked up all the way. I want to think it was 500 watts but I may be wrong.

Thread killer

Offline Swinekicker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 12, 2020, 09:11 PM »
Is there something like a fish finder on a boat ? That flasher stuff gives me a headache.

The helix 5 chirp is a boat finder... hense the mention of an "open water ducer", and the pic of it with a screen.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #9 on: Nov 12, 2020, 09:11 PM »
Or a used Showdown, maybe.....?

“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Nessmuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 12, 2020, 09:43 PM »

That’s looking good  ! Thanks

Offline Dakpheasant

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 12, 2020, 10:52 PM »
  I love the Garmin Striker 4.  I use the A scope and zoom.  You get a vertical column of water that is so easy to corelate to your hole.  I can follow two lures and fish for myself and a buddy.  The price and accuracy are really nice!   

Offline DawntoDusk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 13, 2020, 04:53 AM »
I have the showdown,works great for shallow to moderately deep water. I find its not the best in really deep water. If deep water is your thing you can't go wrong with the garmin or the hummingbird. Buy a fishfinder with a vertical screen rather than one with a horizontal screen. You will have better target separation.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Nov 13, 2020, 05:57 AM »
I would say a Garmin unit ..small chart plotter may serve you with a dual purpose..fish finding sonar and a chart plotter/map maker .

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/576396

although no chart plotter ..this may be what your looking for ..on ice and in your price range

https://www.ganderoutdoors.com/garmin-striker-4-chirp-gps-fishfinder-portable-bundle-310144.html
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Beardcat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 13, 2020, 06:33 AM »
The Garmin striker 4 is a great little unit. I picked up mine last year and used it for both ice fishing & open water fishing in my kayak. It worked great for me and can’t beat its price as a bundle.

I will be upgrading to the Striker 4 Plus (or something similar) this summer so that I can chart a contour map of my local lake.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 13, 2020, 09:39 AM »
I have 2 of these- light and simple to use.

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=377145.0

See if he still has it available.

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 13, 2020, 09:47 AM »
I have 2 of these- light and simple to use.

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=377145.0

See if he still has it available.

Still available. Reasonable offers welcome if the OP is interested. Thanks badger.

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 13, 2020, 09:52 AM »
Marcum has the Showdown on sale for $249

https://marcumtech.com/product/showdown-5-6/

I have one of the originals from when Aqua-Vu started making them. They were called VPG "Vertical Pixel Graph" at that time. I have all the software updates done to it. So, it is actually a Showdown 5.6. I would buy another one if I didn't have my Garmin with Panoptix. Super easy to use. I like the vertical presentation of the water column. The grayscale color isn't that bad either. I can read it in daylight conditions and the backlight works good when trying to blackout inside my shanty. Marcum was selling them for $389 at one time...I think. Maybe it was $289. Marcum just came out with the MX-7 that has color vertical presentation and mapping. It's cool. but very pricey.

jbird68

Offline Laststandard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Nov 13, 2020, 10:34 AM »
The Garmin striker 4 is a great little unit. I picked up mine last year and used it for both ice fishing & open water fishing in my kayak. It worked great for me and can’t beat its price as a bundle.

I will be upgrading to the Striker 4 Plus (or something similar) this summer so that I can chart a contour map of my local lake.

I picked up the 4+ this summer, the quickdraw feature is very cool.  It does seem to need at least 2 passes to get the best contour information.  I use it on both my canoe and kayak, need to pick up the ice transducer for the winter.

Offline Beardcat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Nov 13, 2020, 12:11 PM »
I picked up the 4+ this summer, the quickdraw feature is very cool.  It does seem to need at least 2 passes to get the best contour information.  I use it on both my canoe and kayak, need to pick up the ice transducer for the winter.

I used the regular transducer last winter and although it was bulky it worked just fine (as long as it was level when in the water).

Offline Laststandard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Nov 13, 2020, 03:03 PM »
I used the regular transducer last winter and although it was bulky it worked just fine (as long as it was level when in the water).

I may try that first, but a coworker was telling me that his would start acting up after a couple of hours in the cold.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.