Author Topic: Catch one, catch a bunch?  (Read 3049 times)

Offline FerrisFisher

• IceShanty Rookie
Catch one, catch a bunch?
« on: Dec 19, 2008, 01:50 PM »
From what I've read crappies often travel in big schools, but my buddy and I seem to only catch 2-3 a night mixed in with a bunch of gills. Is this typical? Or should I be switching baits/jigs/etc. to try and get some more specks?

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Catch one, catch a bunch?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2008, 06:30 PM »
Happens on a few of my lakes as well, a similar lake down the road and it's all Crappies and have no idea why. Just the way it is there and I accept it. Actually the mixed bunch , usually, has larger than the average 'gills for what's normally accepted on it, don't mind it one bit either. Really weird part is the Jumbo Perch that'll run underneath them at the same time, makes for a fun night.

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2008, 09:06 AM »
Drill Drill Drill No Bite Move.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2008, 09:10 AM »

bee is right. crappie will be in pairs or small groups, or schools. move to find the schools.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline dav

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • dav, no better time to wet your line.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2008, 10:12 AM »

A 4" auger should be part of every ice fishermans arsenal, drill, drill, drill   :icefish: :flex:

dav
FIND PEACE, LOSE YOURSELF IN NATURE....

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2008, 10:14 AM »
exactly what everyone else said, if your catching a couple odds are more are around, you just have to move

Offline Feeling Crappie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2008, 08:30 PM »
I've seen crappies with schools of sunfish in the middle of the day and slowly as the light starts to fade I get a better ratio of crappies to sunnies. For me when I find good sized crappies I hit about 5 or 6 of them and then they are gone. If I'm on a big school I usually don't get the monsters but there are numbers.
The best thing about ice fishing is that when you get on a good bite you don't have to worry about your beer getting warm!

Offline walkonwater1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2009, 07:21 PM »
I see it all the time..Why one crappie? I don't know. They are some wierd critters.
Kids that hunt, trap and fish don't mug little old ladies.

Big moves to find'em, small moves to catch'em!

Offline IceFlagger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Trick'in & Kill'in
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2009, 07:30 PM »
A local pond near me is the same way, crappie and sunnies outta the same hole one after another, but in my case the seem to all be smaller fish that do that.

Offline REEL DeiL

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2009, 11:20 AM »
i have caught alot of crappies in 3 ponds near me. I have never seen them school up in any of those ponds? I have only seen 2-3 fish at a time and than had to move to find 2-3 more

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2009, 11:31 AM »
in situations where you are catching gills and crappies mixed together, try tipping your jigs with tiny minnows to select for the crappies and avoid the gills.   Doesn't keep all the gills off, but it will up your ratio a little better.

Offline iluvcrappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The real sports in life Bowhunting and Icefishing
« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2009, 08:10 AM »
usually if you can get one or two you are not far from where the school is swimming through.........the ones you are catching are the stragglers that venture off from the school...............d rill about 30 holes around the area where you are fishing and walk around with a flasher and try to figure out where the school is coming through at...................u sually if you start to catch one or two you should be getting more

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 20, 2009, 11:22 PM »
I think catching one or two can mean different things some of which are mentioned above. I fish a smallish bay on a fairly deep lake. There are several large flat basins, and the schools seem to spread out. You will get a couple, maybe a few, but then they move on. If you have a bunch of hole you can search around with the flasher. Weekends are good, because a lot of guys tend to leave before dark, and you can cover a bunch of holes without drilling; often the fish are still nearby. A few nights ago I found some right on the bottom, but the only way to get strikes was to raise to 3 ft. and take a couple good snaps, then jiggle and pause. They don't always follow the rules, so it pays to be flexible.

Offline JT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eat Fish Hunt Tattoo
« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2009, 04:57 PM »
I like to set-up on travel routes,drill a bunch of holes and stay mobile but...if you are on a consistent spot,sometimes it;s better to wait in ambush as the different schools travel thru and you are there ready to roll. Try fatheads also as you will pick up some larger fish occasionally,if i'm on a good spot I stay tight and usually limit.
myspace.com/tat2byjt

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.