Author Topic: Fall Slabs.  (Read 1427 times)

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
Fall Slabs.
« on: Oct 20, 2011, 04:10 AM »
im pretty aware of the pattern of crappies during the spring/summer but was hoping someone/s could give me a few ideas on what to look for when the first cold weather pattern starts dropping water temps.

going to be working some 30' max water so not sure to keep deep and go suspended or maybe hit up the shallows?

i know the eyes will be hitting up the shore lines here lookin for the warmer surface temps and toss'n on the feed bags but im a little confused on the crappie bite comming up.

Offline ImAJigginFool

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I see 'em!!
Re: Fall Slabs.
« Reply #1 on: Oct 20, 2011, 05:10 AM »
I'm no expert on crappies, but it's been my experience that they suspend in the winter.  Usually fishing in around 16' of water, I've caught them anywhere between 2' off the bottom to 5' below the surface.  And I've noticed that they tend to suspend higher late in the afternoon/early evening.

The WORST day of fishing is ALWAYS better than the BEST day in the office.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #2 on: Oct 20, 2011, 06:57 AM »
in the winter months I usually find them suspended, I fish two crappie spots, one is 40ft deep and the other is about 18ft deep. In the 40ft spot I find more fish suspended in the 15-20ft of water, but as I move shallower I find that the fish holding in 18ft spots are hugging the same depth range of 15-18ft.. make sense?

dont leave out the shallows and weed beds, you will still find some crappies there as well

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 20, 2011, 08:29 AM »
Find the forage, like most predators they're pigging out before the ice shows and settles everything down. Almost like spring, Midday, North end for temp and/or where the wind has stacked things up is a good place to start.

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 20, 2011, 01:49 PM »
If you have a flasher put it to use on the boat. They can,t hide.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Oct 20, 2011, 02:20 PM »
thanks guys. i guess i wasnt to far off the mark.

wanted to be sure b4 i sit in a boat in the wind and rain and cold.

i hate fall fishing but its the best time lol  and the lake im going i do good in winter for slabs but its a big body of water. so i have to set up a game plan for me and my buddy b4 we head out.

once again good info guys ^^

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.