Author Topic: "swim bait's"  (Read 2776 times)

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
"swim bait's"
« on: Dec 10, 2005, 08:29 PM »
I have a question about the jigging rap's and others like it. Many different time's on here I've read that fish really seam to shy away from spinning lures,jigs,etc. I got a aqua-view this year and got to use it today for the first. I had it set up so I could see the lures and how they acted when I jigged them. I started with a #3 then a #5 jigging rap and when I got done working them for a sew seconds they seemed to spin slowly for a few seconds(10 or 15). I also did it with a nil's swim bait and it wasn't near as bad but it still did it a little. I guess what I'm asking is, is there something I can do to adjust them or is it just the nature of the beast? Without the camera I wouldn't have known this.
         Jim

Offline {RPF}Rapala Pike Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "If you can't catch fish, your not using a Rapala"
Re: "swim bait's"
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2005, 09:30 PM »
I think it is from jigging it continuesly, i think that if you would pause in between a few jigs, then that should fix it.

Offline sturgeon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2005, 12:31 PM »
Do you guys tie your main line directly to swim bait or use a snap. I just started using swim baits last year and have tried both but not sure what is better.

Sturgeon
Bad Day of Fishing is better than a good day of work!!!!

Offline {RPF}Rapala Pike Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "If you can't catch fish, your not using a Rapala"
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2005, 03:25 PM »
The suggested knot for them is a Rapala knot, which makes the lure swim freely, and i use it all the time  :D http://www.ct-outfitters.com/images/knots/rapala.gif

Offline sturgeon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2005, 03:41 PM »
Thanks Guys

That rapala knot is a knot I use alot for crankbaits, I will start using for my swim bait too.

Thanks Again

Sturgeon
Bad Day of Fishing is better than a good day of work!!!!

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2005, 12:33 PM »
Thank's for the help guy's. I think I was jigging it too much but it sure did look neet on the camera flying, bouncing,diving,and slamin into the weed's. ;D ;D
      Jim

Offline Manny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2005, 11:23 AM »
I don't have a vex or a Aqua-Vu but when I know that a fish is there (getting small taps) but don't commit, I will lift my jigging rap real fast and hang in about 3-4 feet above the head of the fish, then pause.  Then a wiggle-wiggle and then pause.  Gives it that fleeting bait-fish look and usually, if I was getting small taps, the fish will commit, sometimes by crushing it.  I do this often even when I am not getting taps.

As mentioned before though, the pauses are real important.

Manny
The minute you stop learning is the minute you are 6FT under.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.