Author Topic: 8" hand auger on my Ion  (Read 1094 times)

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
8" hand auger on my Ion
« on: Jan 15, 2017, 07:21 PM »
Not looking to spend an arm and a leg for the 8" auger that Ion sells. Purchased a cheap "Arksen" 8" and it was a huge waste of time. Thing cuts horribly and catches while cutting to the point of injury. My question is - what are you guys running for "hand" augers on your drills or power heads?  Im wondering if a cheap Mora would be fine since its pretty much an Ion without the ring.  Adapters arent an issue as I can just make one. Any thoughts?

Offline Elrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 8" hand auger on my Ion
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2017, 11:15 PM »
Fin bores can fit on the quick adapter or the extension on the ion and cut like butter. I have the 8" ion and use the fin bor 6" bit if i am not planning on sight fishing.

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2017, 06:28 AM »
Fin bores can fit on the quick adapter or the extension on the ion and cut like butter. I have the 8" ion and use the fin bor 6" bit if i am not planning on sight fishing.

Fin bores are nice but im not looking to spend $150 for one....same as the 8" Ion.

Offline Elrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2017, 09:29 AM »
Ah yes, keep forgetting fin bores are one of the few things that we get cheaper here in Canada. You can get them for around $60-70 US here....

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2017, 09:52 AM »
Ah yes, keep forgetting fin bores are one of the few things that we get cheaper here in Canada. You can get them for around $60-70 US here....

Yeesh. I know that the lazers are the same curved blade design at a cheaper price...only difference is the handle which doesnt matter to me. If i can get a lazer for cheap I might get it.

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2017, 05:52 PM »
Ordered a Lazer from FishUSA. $95 with free shipping and a free shirt. It fits the Ion with no adapter as well. Coming Thursday. Hopefully the Ion has enough power.

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2017, 05:58 PM »
I use my 6" Laser on my ION X and it works great (generally just use the 8" ION bit when fishing for walleye)

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2017, 06:12 PM »
I use an HT Arctic Express 7" auger on my IceGator. Works great. It's like the Lazer with curved blades. 
jbird68

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.