Author Topic: Attaching auger to drill adaptor  (Read 1634 times)

Offline allymeagan

• IceShanty Rookie
Attaching auger to drill adaptor
« on: Dec 30, 2016, 05:26 PM »
Hello,

I got a clam auger drill plate for Christmas, and can't wait to try it out! I purchased a drill to go with it and attched that to the plate no problem. I'm having issues take the auger section off of the handle to put it on the adaptor bit. Does anyone have any suggestions? At this point I'm tempted to buy a brand new one just so I can dissemble it easier, but I'd rather not if I don't have to. Thanks!

Offline fishEH

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Attaching auger to drill adaptor
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2016, 06:32 PM »
Is it seized up? Soak it with some PB Blaster.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2016, 08:07 PM »
let the pb blaster sit on the joint over night first and see if that was enough to get it apart.

if not try some heat on the handle near the joint. if it doesn't work heat and then hit it with cold water. if that doesn't work heat and hit the joint or handle above the auger some, but don't dent the tube in any way. if that doesn't work heat it and flip it upside down and hit the handle on the ground to shove some of the handle into the auger to get it loosened up and then wiggle it off after you get movement.

maybe use some anti-seize so it doesn't set up again.

Offline allymeagan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2016, 08:06 AM »
Thanks guys, I'll try that!  I'll see if I can find some pb blaster today and let it sit overnight.

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2017, 05:29 PM »
Maybe put the top of the auger in a vice carefully and try turning the handle with a pipe wrench to get it broke loose after you pb blaster it.

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2017, 04:35 AM »
Is your auger screwed together or does it have a telescoping adjustable connection???

Offline allymeagan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2017, 12:05 PM »
It was screwed together, not the telescoping style.  It may have been welded, haha I gave up and bought a brand new telescoping model that came as two pieces in the box! Now that I got it on, the drill hardly turns the auger when I just tested it in the basement, not on ice or anything, and I'm concerned lol.  I bought a maximum 20v cordless drill and thought that should do it.  Does anyone else run a drill with the same specs?  It's a 20v 2Ah battery with two settings and 450 lbs torque.  Or should I return it while I still can, and get something with more torque?  It's a 6" auger that I'll be pairing it with.  Here's a link to the drill: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/maximum-20v-max-li-ion-1-2-in-cordless-drill-driver-0541349p.html

I appreciate the help!  I was pumped to get this going, but starting to get discouraged now.

Offline JeJa

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Retired and loving it
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2017, 07:29 PM »
I use a Dewalt 950 from Amazon.ca. Works very well with 3 am batteries.
Somedays its not worthwhile chewing thru the restraints

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2017, 11:12 PM »
you need more toque and more amps. 4 amps and 700 inch pounds torque or more.

Offline allymeagan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2017, 08:05 AM »
Thanks, I'll return this drill then and look into a better one.  I'll check out the dewalt, thanks Jeja.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2017, 09:37 AM »
just remember that the batteries will wear out and you have to buy more of them. they only take so many charges.
check those costs before deciding what drill is the smartest choice.

also check the length of the warranty on them and the drill itself. most are only 5 year on the tool and only 3 year on the batteries.

there is one brand that doesn't require any more money at all ever after you buy it tho!

Offline allymeagan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 07, 2017, 11:05 AM »
Haha that's just a teaser! Which one? If I know it's going to work, I don't mind sinking money into this.  I plan on ice fishing for a long time to come!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Jan 07, 2017, 12:18 PM »
also, where you shop is important. homedepot offers a 90 day hassle free return policy. they only ask if any thing is wrong with it. you can try different power tools this way until you are satisfied.

just so you know, ridgid has a lifetime warranty on all of it, free batteries, free parts and free labor for your life time. they assign a customer number and you register your tools on their web page. if you do try ridgid, go a head and register the tools even if you don't know if your going to keep it or not. they will take it back if you registered it. the batteries are only lifetime warranted in the kit you buy. so if you buy batteries outside of a kit, they are only 3 year warranty, but at least the tool and charger is lifetime warranted.
it is not the strongest drill, but that wasn't your question and neither was the warranty information. it is strong enough for a 6 inch bit.

the strongest drill is milwaukee, but is limited on warranties.

these are the top two drills going. one is for the life time cost factor (ridgid) and one is for having the strongest drill (milwaukee) at this time. last year it was ridgid. both have the same parent company.
i can say my old 500 inch pound drill cut 6" holes all day in any ice i fished out of. the deepest ice i fished was 24 inches. now they offer 700 inch pounds that will do the same and are brushless.

also, watch for side deals on these tools. ridgid was offering a choice of one tool out ten for free. the drill kit yo would want costs 279.99$ and then a pick of one free tool, if the free tool is still a on a promotion or not.

if you know you want to use a larger bit than 6 inch then you either have to forgo the lifetime warranty or use the clam plate with the gear box they are still trying to get to work right. then you can get the ridgid tool for that set up and cut up to 9 inch holes.
so 700 inch pounds for a 6 inch hole is ideal with enough amps from the battery to not under power the motor and have longer run times. 4 amps does that.

Offline icejohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • kids love fishing too, take one
« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 2017, 10:42 PM »
i have a clam adapter plate i bought as kit with the 6"auger for $159 but just came across this unit that is made by a guy in pa. he sells them on ebay under icekicker I II III and here is one on craigslist as well. http://fingerlakes.craigslist.org/spo/5950046014.html $75 for geared and $55 for single straight with plate...look pretty interesting.
icejohn

Offline allymeagan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 10, 2017, 09:09 AM »
Awesome, I'll check it out, thanks!  I went and looked at home depot originally but they didn't have any drills for sale individually, just as combo packs.  Maybe as a promo after Christmas.  I found the dewalt for $200 USD on ebay, so I may go that route.  I'll look at ridgid again though, that's a fantastic warranty and would be worth paying the extra for.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.