Author Topic: Rod/jig storage  (Read 1893 times)

Offline walpy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Rod/jig storage
« on: Jan 03, 2017, 01:02 PM »
So I've just started to actually be productive jigging.. and thus bring a couple rods with me.

How do you store them when you pack up? Do you take the jigs off or cover them up? I keep getting them all hooked together.

Thanks for any help, I'm quite simple haha.

Offline tyme2par4

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Rod/jig storage
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2017, 01:57 PM »
A good case is the best option. But a cheaper option is a short piece of PVC, the length of the rod. 1 Pipe for each rod.

Offline eyeball15

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2017, 02:04 PM »
So I've just started to actually be productive jigging.. and thus bring a couple rods with me.

How do you store them when you pack up? Do you take the jigs off or cover them up? I keep getting them all hooked together.

Thanks for any help, I'm quite simple haha.

I had a frabill hard water case, they run about  75 bucks. Very good quality held many rods. Unfortunately I left it in the back of my truck on one ice fishing trip. Low and behold someone decided they needed it more than me. I have not replaced it yet, when I do that is the case I will be buying..

Offline mikey ice fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2017, 02:06 PM »
Gander mountain has a dood one for 20 bucks

Offline walpy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2017, 02:27 PM »
when yall use the case (why did I say yall??) do you keep the hooks on the rod? I've seen those little sleeves for rods but they look like the hooks will just snag on them a million times over.

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2017, 01:04 PM »
when yall use the case (why did I say yall??) do you keep the hooks on the rod? I've seen those little sleeves for rods but they look like the hooks will just snag on them a million times over.
yes you can keep jigs on your poles. The foam inserts keep your rods from moving I use a spring bobber on most panfish rods I own. I just carefully reel up to the eye of bobber and leave it like that.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2017, 01:12 PM »
I use the little clam plastic things I think the might be called lure caddy,clear plastic with Velcro.work real well no more tangles.

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2017, 12:54 AM »
I usually leave the jig on the rods since I'm usually tired and hungry, lol.

Usually don't have a issue with them getting tangled in their case, which is a Plano take down shotgun case. I think I have 6 or 7 rod/reels in it right not. Pretty much indestructible. I only use the plano case for transport to/from home and where I'm fishing.

Maybe try these http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Lure-Wraps/product/103725/ or make some similar.

J-

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2017, 12:05 AM »
I do have a couple carry cases but find my old bucket actually keeps things from tangling better. Also a quick in and out for rods and a rod holder as well.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2017, 03:55 AM »
Eyeflyer very nice but I would not use that in a flip over!!  you know how many rods I broke just leaving in my buckets..when flipping it open to chase a flag or pack up by mistake it happens .. but for hole hopping no shanty you get a A+ for the idea.. 

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2017, 08:48 AM »
push the jig into the bottom of the rod handle.
put a snake skinz (or what ever brand you end up with) rod sleeve over the rod.
use the bungee cord and slide lock to keep the open face reel handle from spinning by facing it up towards the tip of the rod. you may have to manipulate the spool to accommodate this some.
toss into your bucket. no snags. no lost hooks. no broken rod tips. just be careful flipping your shanty open and make sure your rods are out of the way of the poles and tent as you open it.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2017, 08:53 AM »
I use a croxton pond soft bag. Holds 4 rods no issues with tangles. trid the rod slicks and the hooks caught in the mesh no matter what I did. I am going to get my mother in law to make me some sleeves using the legs off a couple of pairs of jeans that have worn out.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 06, 2017, 01:23 PM »
and the hooks will not snag in the jeans ???

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 07, 2017, 12:18 PM »
I picked up 2 Plano take down shotguns cases. They have foam inside & for me, hold 4 rods & a couple palm rods per case.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Jan 07, 2017, 01:25 PM »
I use a Trophy Angler Bag. Same as the Cabelas or Gander Mountain bags. I am not rough on my gear so there is no need for a hard Case. Not that they are not needed for some people they are better. I have 2 of them. I am putting Trout Rods in one and Pan Fish rods in the other.  The Trophy Angler bags come in 4 8 and 12 rod capacities.
https://www.amazon.com/TROPHY-ANGLER-ICE-Trophy-Angler/dp/B00HQHS1AQ
<===Lefty===

Offline abbatoys

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 09, 2017, 12:40 PM »
I have the cabelas rod bag that lefty noted above. Works great and I have a lot of rods in it, has a couple long side pockets too.

Offline Silverbullet555

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 09, 2017, 04:22 PM »
I built a case that holds much of my gear for transport and storage. I might add a bucket for transport once we get to the lake. It's important that I can store it all safely in the off-season.

James

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.