Author Topic: Frabill Ambush Outpost & Shappell Widehouse 5500  (Read 3703 times)

Offline VTWoodchuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
Frabill Ambush Outpost & Shappell Widehouse 5500
« on: Oct 02, 2014, 09:45 AM »
Hi folks, I'm a new member but not new at much else.  I'm retired and have about 55+ years of fishing behind me, which probably equates to about 1 year of actual catching.  I sold my flip up at the end of last year because it was just starting to feel to heavy for me to get it off the ground and into my truck as well as drag everywhere I go.  This year I'm going back to dragging my Jet Sled with my gear and bucket because I'm by myself most of the time and want to keep it light so I can enjoy the walk instead of feeling like a draft horse.  I've decided to get a 2-3 man Hub shelter for the times when my wife or one of my grandkids wants to come to have a base station to get warm and make it fun for them.  I've narrowed it down to the Shappell Widehouse 5500 or the Frabill Ambush Out Post.   I like the Shappell because of the oval doors and the grommets on the apron that make it easier to get an anchor screw in when setting up on a windy day.  The Frabill appeals to me because of the Thermal top.   Has any one got anything good or bad to say about either of these that I should know about?  Thanks.
“Anyone can be a fisherman in May.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Frabill Ambush Outpost & Shappell Widehouse 5500
« Reply #1 on: Oct 02, 2014, 04:11 PM »
frabill gave me a brand new shanty cause one pole broke! first couple months i owned it  best customer service i ever seen! besides that the wall could be 600 d in the frabill there only 300 d they are awesome for wind braking i use it all the time fishing the piers etc... etc ... get a drill adaptor from clam and a drill for drilling the stakes in just a tip...  saves a lot of time and effort  screw in when you get their then use the drill to drill holes  then you go to leave unscrew it by hand or drill if the drill battery is dead do it by hand it is easy... the shappell is no slouch either i got a s3000 and they work awesome  600 d fabric that is vinyl coated to hold out water the frabill is black interior just like the shappell to good shanty but very hard for me to decided what to buy i end out with the frabill it was a little cheaper in price shipped for free for $149.99 and got a free shipped to home new one too..  i don't know that much about shappell's warranty never had to use it? like said it going to be tough there  good shacks to chose from.    the door opening is better on the shappell and the heat retention  is better on the frabill. so go figure it will be tough to decide.  900 d skirt on the frabill and a 300 d side panels but the shappell is all 600d so  it is a toss up.

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 02, 2014, 04:21 PM »
also take a look at the 767i from eskimo another good shack if you ask me.

Offline VTWoodchuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 02, 2014, 06:21 PM »
Thanks fish-kabob, is your Frabill the standard Outpost model or the Ambush Outpost that has the thermal quilted top?
― Ernest Hemingway

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Oct 02, 2014, 06:21 PM »
I had the 5500 2 years ago and loved it but I ended up saling it and buying the 6500. A lot more room and easy to set up and take down. Don't get me wrong the 5500 was big enough for the wife and I but I sometimes take an extra person which the 6500 is big enough for.
<===Lefty===

Offline VTWoodchuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 02, 2014, 06:30 PM »
Thanks lefty2053, do you think the 5500 would be big enough for 2 adults and a grandchild or two?

fish-kabob - one more question, Frabills website lists the size of the Ambush Outpost as 70' x 70', but the "fishable area" as only 60" x 60".  I think it's a misprint because the specs for the plain Outpost model as 70" x 70" for both metrics.  Its has me concered that the Ambush Outpost may only be a 60" x 60" shelter and the 70" inch dimension is to the outside of the skirt, though I've never seen any company measure like that.  Is yours 70" square or 60" square? Thanks
― Ernest Hemingway

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 02, 2014, 06:54 PM »
Thanks lefty2053, do you think the 5500 would be big enough for 2 adults and a grandchild or two?

fish-kabob - one more question, Frabills website lists the size of the Ambush Outpost as 70' x 70', but the "fishable area" as only 60" x 60".  I think it's a misprint because the specs for the plain Outpost model as 70" x 70" for both metrics.  Its has me concered that the Ambush Outpost may only be a 60" x 60" shelter and the 70" inch dimension is to the outside of the skirt, though I've never seen any company measure like that.  Is yours 70" square or 60" square? Thanks

i think it is 60,65, or 70 inches on the floor were the fish able area is but about a foot to three foot above the floor is were it get bigger or wider like some were in the 70-76 inches wide elbow room wile sitting if you will.. and yes mine is the blanket quilted top thermal if you will.   this is why i said some thing about the eskimo 767 i model the i on the end of 767 stands for insulated which you may want to look in to be fore you buy.  mine i have fit two adults two kid in it is the fishauflage model ambush out post  7013 there the same size as the outpost shanty  if you were wondering... me and my brother and his kid 8 and 11 fit in there with holes rods etc all back to back with heaters going.

it was a real tight fit with those kids in the frabill no room to even move around...just a head up but they did fit... 

Offline VTWoodchuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 02, 2014, 07:09 PM »
Thanks fish-kabob, I'm still confused on the size because they make the Outpost in both the 60" (2 man) and 70" (3 man) sizes, and the Ambush Outpost only comes in one size but they have both 60" and 70" in the spec sheet.  Sounds like you are happy with yours though.
― Ernest Hemingway

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Oct 02, 2014, 08:29 PM »

Look here. The 5500 has 75x75" floor space The 6500 has 90x90" floor space. I had smaller grand kids in the 5500 before.
<===Lefty===

Offline VTWoodchuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 02, 2014, 08:44 PM »
Look here. The 5500 has 75x75" floor space The 6500 has 90x90" floor space. I had smaller grand kids in the 5500 before.

Sounds like the 5500 would be fine for my use as I'll rarely have 3 people in it. Have you had any experience with Shappell's customer service? Thanks
― Ernest Hemingway

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Oct 02, 2014, 10:25 PM »
I just skimmed the thread quick, so i am sorry if I am repeating something..

I own a Frabill Ambush Outpost, and i just got it about 2 weeks ago. I am overall very impressed.
-Easy to set up
-Insulation is good quality
-gets really dark for spear fishing

Cons are that the stitching allows little pinholes of lights in, and also the ice anchors are cheap. I havent used  em yet but I can tell.

Hope this helps,

CI

Go Beavers!

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 02, 2014, 11:17 PM »

I own a Frabill Ambush Outpost, and i just got it about 2 weeks ago. I am overall very impressed.
-Easy to set up

Cons are that the stitching allows little pinholes of lights in, and also the ice anchors are cheap. I havent used  em yet but I can tell.

Hope this helps,

CI

get the clam ice anchor install tool / cord less drill.  it should help with the install there not as bad as clams ice anchors but they are not the greatest. i think eskimo and shappell make great sets of ice anchors not sure about it but  that's what i heard so far. the other problem is they sell them buy the two pack and a pair cost about $8 -$12  and you need about 3 packs... any how there is a clam ice anchor tool it is $15 and install them real easy. this is if you got a drill already.... 

Offline VTWoodchuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Oct 02, 2014, 11:28 PM »

-Easy to set up

Hope this helps,

CI

Thanks Clear_Ice.  Can you verify the size at the floor, is it a 5' or a 6' square shelter?
― Ernest Hemingway

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Oct 03, 2014, 05:04 AM »
The Shappell also has pinholes in the stitching and lets small amounts of light in. The anchors are not that good so I went out and bought an 8 pack off e-bay of the Eskimo anchors.

I have not had to use Shappells customer service so I can't say how they are.
<===Lefty===

Offline VTWoodchuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Oct 03, 2014, 08:51 AM »
Thanks Lefty 2053.  I'm not too worried about the pinholes as I don't do any spear fishing.  I read another post that I found where a Shappell owner said he contacted them about one cracked hub pole and the owner answered the phone.  He sent him enough replacement poles to do the whole tent so he was pretty happy with their customer service. 
― Ernest Hemingway

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Oct 03, 2014, 02:00 PM »
i am taking the shanty up north this week end to pier fish.  will let you know when i get back the size of the floor area .  i will have it set up then don't want to unpack the car right now to get to is the problem with right this second.  if no one replies by the time i get back i throw it up here...

Offline VTWoodchuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Oct 03, 2014, 02:25 PM »
i am taking the shanty up north this week end to pier fish.  will let you know when i get back the size of the floor area .  i will have it set up then don't want to unpack the car right now to get to is the problem with right this second.  if no one replies by the time i get back i throw it up here...

Thanks man, I appreciate it.  I wouldn't expect anyone to unpack their tent just for this, but when you set it up anyway let me know the size.  Good luck pier fishing.
― Ernest Hemingway

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Oct 04, 2014, 06:33 AM »
In that post where I said look here. I forgot to post this.
http://shappell.com/iceshelters/widehouseserieshubs.html
And here is Frabil.s Outpost
http://frabill.com/new-products/ice-new/fishouflager-ambush-outpost.html

SO it is 60x60" floor space which is 15" smaller then the 5500 Shappell.
<===Lefty===

Offline VTWoodchuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Oct 04, 2014, 09:09 AM »
Thanks lefty, I had already found those though.  As you can see the Frabill specs are confusing which is why I asked the question.  I still think its worth checking next time you set it up because I think it might be a misprint because in Frabill's descriptions for the standard Outpost, both the 2 & 3 man units the fishable area is the same as the set-up area.  I pasted them in below.  The Ambush is also a hub style shelter so I don't imagine it would be different.   

Ambush Outpost
Model #7013
Style Outpost
Fishable Area 60"W x 60"H
Max Occupants 3
Set-Up 70”L x 70”W x 80”H

Outpost 3 Man
Model #7003
Style Hub
Fishable Area 70"L x 70"W
Max Occupants 3
Set-Up 70"L x 70"W x 80"H

Outpost 2 Man
Model #7001
Style Hub
Fishable Area 60"L x 60"W
Max Occupants 2
Set-Up 60"L x 60" W x 67"H

― Ernest Hemingway

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline VTWoodchuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Oct 04, 2014, 09:27 AM »
From there digital catalog  pg 12-13

http://issuu.com/planosynergy/docs/fabill_catalogo_2015_lowres?e=11075177/7125550

Thanks, that description makes sense for a 3 man shack.  Frabill ought to fire the marketing genius that sent out the other description with the wrong fishable area of only 60".  Every supplier from Dicks to Walmart published it on their websites, it is even on their own website.  I'll bet there are a lot of potential customers that passed on it thinking it was only a 2 man size 60'.  Knowing it is a 70", 3 man unit get me interested again.  The Shappell 5500 is still a bit bigger but I like the 80" stand up height and the thermal top of the Frabill.
― Ernest Hemingway

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Oct 04, 2014, 09:34 AM »
Thanks, that description makes sense for a 3 man shack.  Frabill ought to fire the marketing genius that send out the other description with the wrong fishable area of only 60".  Every supplier from Dicks to Walmart published it on their websites, it is even on their own website.  I'll bet there are a lot of potential customers that passed on it thinking it was only a 2 man size 60'.  Knowing it is a 70", 3 man unit get me interested again.  The Shappell 5500 is still a bit bigger but I like the 80" stand up height and the thermal top of the Frabill.

You may want to Email them just to be certain about the exact diamensions ...I have Emailed them in the past I got fast responses(business days) ..you may want to advise them on your findings/confusion .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline VTWoodchuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Oct 04, 2014, 10:21 AM »
Great minds think alike.  I already dropped them a note last night with attachments of the conflicting information from their website that I cut and pasted into the email.  I also added my phone number so they could respond that way.  Its the weekend so I probably won't here back until Monday.
― Ernest Hemingway

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Oct 04, 2014, 06:19 PM »
It would be 60" inside and 70" including the flaps. The Shappell is 75" Inside and 84" outside. With 4 1/2" of flap per side.
<===Lefty===

Offline VTWoodchuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Oct 04, 2014, 06:40 PM »
It would be 60" inside and 70" including the flaps. The Shappell is 75" Inside and 84" outside. With 4 1/2" of flap per side.

That's what I thought at first but the Plano catalog that Hardwater-diehard posted the link to shows a diagram of the Ambush Outpost on page 12 as having 70" x 70" inch floor area and 3 person seating.   I just looked at the Shappell sight again and it says that the floor area is 75" x 75" and 84" x 84" at the Hubs, which protrude farther out than the floor when popped out.  I guess we won't know for sure until fish-kabob goes pier fishing later this week?
― Ernest Hemingway

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Oct 07, 2014, 01:02 PM »
my sizes of the" in-side edge" along the wall which is wall to wall is 72" or 6 foot the out side is 90" or 7.5 foot this is for the edge of the flap wall to wall and what the hub measure out as across hub to hub.  ifr you need more help let me know i am always around.  had a pull come unglued over the week end. cause we opened and closed it so much the night time temps went down to about 35*F and the day time temps we did not need it during  i think 60-65*F  ....  so ya it was very cold out that why were using it plus it a good warming shelter for when it was raining at night... i got to epoxy the pole back in to the holder when i get a chance then reassemble it right now it drying out... with all that rain we got it is soaked i set it up i nthe basement to dry out every trip. 

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Oct 07, 2014, 01:19 PM »
by the way i guess helping you out brought me some luck here is some pick of my catch...

Offline VTWoodchuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Oct 07, 2014, 01:30 PM »
my sizes of the" in-side edge" along the wall which is wall to wall is 72" or 6 foot the out side is 90" or 7.5 foot this is for the edge of the flap wall to wall and what the hub measure out as across hub to hub.  ifr you need more help let me know i am always around.  had a pull come unglued over the week end. cause we opened and closed it so much the night time temps went down to about 35*F and the day time temps we did not need it during  i think 60-65*F  ....  so ya it was very cold out that why were using it plus it a good warming shelter for when it was raining at night... i got to epoxy the pole back in to the holder when i get a chance then reassemble it right now it drying out... with all that rain we got it is soaked i set it up i nthe basement to dry out every trip.

Great!  I'm glad to know it is a full 6 feet square inside and even bigger at the hubs. I also talked to Frabill customer service this morning before I read this and they said the same thing.  I pointed out their website error and that all their suppliers had it posted wrong too.  He was dismayed to realize that they had probably lost customers because of people thinking it was only 5 feet inside.  Thanks again for taking the measurements.  That is a tasty looking catch in your picture.
― Ernest Hemingway

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.