Author Topic: one man flip shelter help which one?  (Read 8353 times)

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "EVERYDAY IS A HOLIDAY"
one man flip shelter help which one?
« on: Oct 28, 2013, 11:34 PM »
Well guys the season is approaching and me and a buddy are thinking we should add a couple one man flip over shacks to our gear. I am leaning towards the Clam Pro TC but would really like to get some input from owners and see which my fellow ice shanty brothers like the best. I want something light but sturdy. It doesn't have to be thermal. Thanks in advance to everyone that replies!
  Matt

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
Re: one man flip shelter help which one?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 29, 2013, 05:50 AM »
I own a Clam Scout (many years old now) and am happy with it. The best thing you can do is go some were there are a few brands set up and sit in them and see how the quality it this season. Also get a feel for the seat and if it works for you, some like bench (not me), some add there own... All things to think about.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Oct 29, 2013, 06:43 AM »
Stripernut gives good advice.

You definitely want to go sit in a few to try them out. I know some bigger guys actually like using a two man as a one man for the extra space.
Weight is also a factor unless you will be towing it.
If you are going to be pulling by hand its good to know the bigger ones can be hard to pull. Unless you build a sled for your sled to sled on..  ???

I just purchased the Clam Trap Trapper last season and love it. Have pulled thru snow, ice, etc with little trouble.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 29, 2013, 06:52 AM »
Here in IL. Its hand pull that's why I want to try and keep it light. The only places we have close are farm fleet and gander mountain. Each have maybe to three huts out none of which are one mans. I did see a one Eskimo at Scheels but did not like the aluminum frame seat.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Oct 29, 2013, 07:05 AM »
If weight is a big factor look into the Clam Trap Trapper (38lbs) and the Shappell FX 100 (37lbs). The Eskimo Quickflip 1 is like 47lbs.

Both include the weight of the seat in their respective weights. So the trapper is closer to 30lbs without their folding camp chair.

The big differences are

-FX100 Has a thicker more durable tent at 600D vs the Clam 420D
-Clam sled is 4in wider at 36in vs the FX100 at 32in
-Clams travel size is narrower at 36in vs the FX100 44in.  This come into play if you are hauling it in a car vs a truck.
-FX100 comes with a bench seat. Which you can mount  swivel boat seat to if you want. You can add a bench and seat to the Clam easily enough tho.
-Clam is made in China vs FX100 made in USA
-Clam is available pretty much anywhere vs FX100 is hard to find without ordering (costly shipping).
-Clam is around $200 vs FX100 around 220-250$

I was unable to find an FX100 in my area to check out. While every store I looked for the FX in there were Clams everywhere.
So i went with the Clam.

Its important to remember these flip overs are very easily modifiable to fit your style of fishing. Buy a base model, and mod it to add what you like.

Offline wiskeyfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I don't exaggerate... I just remember BIG!"
« Reply #5 on: Oct 29, 2013, 07:35 AM »
OTTER, OTTER, OTTER! Tough as nails, best IMO!

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Oct 29, 2013, 07:56 AM »

With weight as a concern, Otter would out I would think. Since they weight around 80lbs.
Not to mention you could buy 2 or 3 Clams/Shappells for the price of one Otter.

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Oct 29, 2013, 07:59 AM »
I would love to have an Otter but they are a well built heavy hut. I might get a two man Otter someday for going up north but for now a one man is all that's left in the budget for ice fishing this year. I have already bought an FLX 28, 3 TBros rods and 3 13 fishing Teardrop reels so I have already dropped a lot of money this year.

Offline wiskeyfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I don't exaggerate... I just remember BIG!"
« Reply #8 on: Oct 29, 2013, 08:00 AM »
Ya? But you'll buy 3 or 4 clams while I still have same Otter. You get what you pay for.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Oct 29, 2013, 08:04 AM »
Ya? But you'll buy 3 or 4 clams while I still have same Otter. You get what you pay for.

Not true at all. I know people who have had the same Clam flip overs for many years. As stated in the second reply..

I dont care who you are. A fully loaded Otter (total weight 120+ lbs) is not something you pull by hand.

If you need a vehicle to drag around your portable, it kinda loses that "portable" aspect. Doesnt it?

Otters are a quality product. Just not practical for hand pullers.

Offline Soozookie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Plastics!
« Reply #10 on: Oct 29, 2013, 08:23 AM »
Try making it up to the bass pro in Bolingbrook. They seemed to have a very good selection of huts and are all setup so you can sit in them. I also believe they have all there stuff out already.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 29, 2013, 10:05 PM »
Well guys the season is approaching and me and a buddy are thinking we should add a couple one man flip over shacks to our gear. I am leaning towards the Clam Pro TC but would really like to get some input from owners and see which my fellow ice shanty brothers like the best. I want something light but sturdy. It doesn't have to be thermal. Thanks in advance to everyone that replies!
  Matt

the Clam Pro TC is discontinued this year. the replacement to this that is the similar size is the new Legend full thermal. the Legend weighs in at 70Lbs but is really a nice house. this is the house I will be running this year along with a Scout EXP.

the Trapper is discontinued too. this was just a scout with the seat removed and the cooler chair in it's place. you could buy the scout and leave the seat out and add the cooler chair and you would basically have the trapper. this set up weighed in at 37LBS.

the Scout EXP is a scout with the big mouth feature on it(expanding porch pole, the one on the ground when set up)(thermal top). weight 50 LBS

the regular scout - weighs in at 47LBS (non thermal)

the Kenai - weighs in at 50 LBS (non thermal)

almost forgot there is also the new X1 full thermal this year - weighs in at 76LBS.

so to recap. your options for a one man Clam house would be the following :

X1 Thermal (full thermal)
Legend Thermal (full thermal house)
Scout EXP (thermal top)
Scout (non thermal)
Kenai (non thermal)
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Oct 30, 2013, 06:48 AM »
I would highly suggest the non thermal. You can easily do the reflectix mod to make it warmer if needed. And you can remove the reflectix if not needed.

Offline Minnowhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
Confucious say: "Wise man waits till Winter to walk on water!"

Offline kevin1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Oct 30, 2013, 07:22 PM »
got my FX100 from sportsman guide for less than 200 with free shipping (you may have to wait for the shipping deal) but you can usually find discount coupons if you look around
seems like a light weight quality built unit for hole hopping as that is why i bought it, for staying in one place when the wife goes with me we take the otter pro lodge, she likes a few creature comforts when she goes

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Oct 30, 2013, 07:32 PM »
I just about ordered it last night with the free shipping lol! I ordered the clam pro tc. It has a thermal top a swivel boat seat. It does weigh 14 more than the fx 100 but with the added comfort I think it will be worth it. I did not like the fact that the fx100 is only 32" wide at the seating area then it tapers out to 44". The clam is 35" straight out. The clam won't be in till 11/20 so I have time to decide if I want it or the fx100.

Offline DEADONDYLAN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Oct 30, 2013, 08:08 PM »
Well Cabelas called today my X-1 was in. heavier than my old scout but big enough for me to take third seat out of my voyager for my  daughter when she goes with me, love the light stick and battery bracket included with it, put a second light stick on front hoop to go with  the one in the middle. I think it will have the same effect as putting a lantern between holes for night. The only thing missing is the hammock for under the seat but I will be getting ahold of Clam for the travel cover as well. I put otter hy-fax med kit on it worked like it was made for it.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Oct 30, 2013, 08:19 PM »
I'll drag an Otter anyday over a Clam, I pull a 3 man Eskimo, tried a 2 man Otter last year and pulled easy.... All Clams I have pulled drug like a tank including my Kenei.... My vote would be an Otter to and agree with the statement you'll own 3 new Clams before the Otter will be wore out..... Clams are not made as well as they were even 5 years ago....

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Oct 30, 2013, 08:26 PM »
Nice x1 go on eBay and buy led light strips. They are 18.87" long and have 48 white LEDs for $5.99 for 2 with free shipping. If u put two of those in your x 1 it would be brighter than a sunny day and all that for $5.99. Let me know if you want the item #. I would love to have a Otter 2 man but 120 lbs is a lot of weight in the snow. If I had an atv to pull it I would have an Otter.

Offline DEADONDYLAN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Oct 30, 2013, 08:37 PM »
I have an otter cottage in my collection like it but it is heavy. I will agree with Esox my scout pulled fine, my voyager is a pig to pull in any kinda snow cover, the 6800 I have requires a smitty sled to even think about it, but the trap link function on them is my excuse for keeping them, and they are a bit over 8 years old (back when voyager was considered a 3 man with three seats). I have high hopes for pulling this one it built on the polar sled shaped more like a sled than a tub.

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #20 on: Oct 30, 2013, 11:33 PM »
My clam voyager only has 2 seats and a console it's last years model ?
Never to many short poles

Offline pete/ny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Oct 31, 2013, 02:38 AM »
My Son Inlaw and I both have Clam Scouts.Have had them now for going on 5 seasons and they are holding up fine.No problems at all with either of them.Light and very easy to pull.Pretty decent shelter for what you pay for them.Ours are non-thermal but have put the Reflectix on the roofs and it helped alot dealing with the condensation from body heat and using a heater.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Oct 31, 2013, 08:08 AM »
I'll drag an Otter anyday over a Clam, I pull a 3 man Eskimo, tried a 2 man Otter last year and pulled easy.... All Clams I have pulled drug like a tank including my Kenei....

This makes perfect sense.. The 50lb Clam is harder to pull than the 100lb Otter... Despite the claims of people who own Clams and state they pull easy..

Bottom line here Redone is that Clam/Shappell make quality, lightweight, easy to drag, and affordable flip overs for 1/4 of the price and 1/3 of the weight of an Otter.

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Oct 31, 2013, 08:40 AM »

I agree with Baitbucket....not true at all.  I still use the Clam Yukon I bought in the early 90's.  Take care of any piece of equipment properly and it will last forever.
You can observe alot by watching.
Yogi Berra

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Oct 31, 2013, 09:56 AM »
I agree baitbucket. I almost ordered the Fx100 and still might get one. The only reason I ordered the pro tc was the seat. I could have pit a seat on the FX100 but the to were only $36 apart and I figured I would have double that if I bought the FX100 and then bought a seat and swivel for it.

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Oct 31, 2013, 11:44 AM »
Thought you used the popup houses more? I had a scout liked it a lot but pro size would be better. I have an x2 now and it is heavy with polar sled similar to an otter. I will be buying a wheeler this year... Have you looked at used shacks ?
Fishin red lines

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Oct 31, 2013, 02:01 PM »
I still have my Bigfoot xl2000 were going to use it for a base camp on the ice then use the one man huts to troll the ice. That's the plan anyway now whether or not it goes that we'll see in two months. I thought about a one man last year but part of the fun is going with a buddy and in a one man your on the same lake but not fishing together.
Matt

quote author=hamms link=topic=261684.msg2690023#msg2690023 date=1383237883]
Thought you used the popup houses more? I had a scout liked it a lot but pro size would be better. I have an x2 now and it is heavy with polar sled similar to an otter. I will be buying a wheeler this year... Have you looked at used shacks ?
[/quote]

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Oct 31, 2013, 05:12 PM »
This makes perfect sense.. The 50lb Clam is harder to pull than the 100lb Otter... Despite the claims of people who own Clams and state they pull easy..

Bottom line here Redone is that Clam/Shappell make quality, lightweight, easy to drag, and affordable flip overs for 1/4 of the price and 1/3 of the weight of an Otter.

Must have missed the part that I do own a Clam 1 man and by no means easy to pull, hub design trumps weight in must cases.... My wife struggles to pull the 1 man empty following me with the 3 man fully loaded....BTY my wife can pull the 3 man by herself loaded, all 5'1 and 135 pounds of her...

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Oct 31, 2013, 07:17 PM »
Must have missed the part that I do own a Clam 1 man and by no means easy to pull, hub design trumps weight in must cases.... My wife struggles to pull the 1 man empty following me with the 3 man fully loaded....BTY my wife can pull the 3 man by herself loaded, all 5'1 and 135 pounds of her...

Nope I didnt miss is. Hence my first two sentences.

You must have missed the part in mine where I said multiple people on this thread have no issues pulling a one man.
Including me at 5ft 8in 130lbs...

Offline bigbuckmiddaugh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Nov 02, 2013, 08:53 AM »
I bought the eskimo wide one last year. I really like it. pull easy too. Chair very comfy too!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.