Author Topic: Fish finder help  (Read 691 times)

Offline vt-jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fish finder help
« on: Dec 21, 2012, 07:42 AM »
I was fortunate enough to get my hands on an old eagle ultra portable fishfinder, with an ice fishing adapter to hold the transducer. it works well enough, at least to the point that if it doesnt mark fish, i dont get bit. but it has a side scrolling chart, so if im stationary (i.e. ice fishing) is the chart scrolling because it is "looking" in a circle around the transducer? any tips on using this unit would be greatly appreciated, as its the only sonar i have access to.
"Guys, Come look! This perch is as big as my house!"

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
Re: Fish finder help
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2012, 09:51 AM »
It is scrolling because time is passing.  The vertical line of pixels on the extreme right hand side of the image is the current return from the transducer.  If you were to take a flasher and straighten it out, that is what you'd have.  Then it moves over one set of pixels to the left, and the next cycle begins.  The middle of the screen is information that is a couple of seconds old.  The stuff on the left side is several seconds old.  Some of the manufacturers used to recommend turning the chart speed to its slowest setting to make the information look more like the arches you would see if the boat was moving.  Don't.  Run the chart speed as fast as it will go.  Turn the fish I.D. off.
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline vt-jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2012, 10:02 AM »
ok, once we get some ice ill have to try that...ive heard that using a high chart speed can give a "flasher-like-effect" but having never used a flasher, i wasnt really sure what that meant...does turning the fish i.d off give more usefull readings?

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2012, 11:09 AM »
If you don't turn it off, you'll see a constant line of fish at the depth of your jig.  The finder will interpret any echo as a fish.  It will show your jig as a fish.  It will draw one after another after another.
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline vt-jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2012, 11:23 AM »
If you don't turn it off, you'll see a constant line of fish at the depth of your jig.  The finder will interpret any echo as a fish.  It will show your jig as a fish.  It will draw one after another after another.
hhhmmm....mabey thats why at times i see a solid wall of fish..haha.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2012, 12:17 PM »
Fish I D will show a suspended turd as a fish.  ;)
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.