Author Topic: What sled to buy?  (Read 3813 times)

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "EVERYDAY IS A HOLIDAY"
What sled to buy?
« on: Aug 29, 2011, 10:19 PM »
I have been looking at getting a new sled this year. I have looked at the Otter wild sport sled in the large size. I also thought about the Clam Nordic sled in Med. but I cann't find anywhere the weight of  the Clam. The Otter is 23 LBS. Does anybody have this sled? If so do you pull it by hand or behind a atv or snowmobile? Any input you guy's would give would be a great help. I just want the biggest sled that I can pull by hand.
  Thanks!
   Matt

Offline 3rd_Geer

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: What sled to buy?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 31, 2011, 06:28 PM »
I don't have a large otter sled but I do have a medium one. I use it for when I don't take a shanty and it pulls awesome by hand. The design of the front of their sleds seem to make them pull better over snow. My friend has a clam sled and I think its lighter but the front end plows into the snow when dragging. If you look at both sleds tracks after pulling them in at least six inches of snow the otter sled doesn't have as deep of a track. It is also the thickest plastic sled you can buy, I wouldn't say its the best idea but I don't even use hyfax on mine anymore.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Aug 31, 2011, 10:36 PM »
Sounds like you are really gearing up this year Redone.  Auger, sled.  Next thing you know, you'll be checking our snowmobiles and ATVs!  :o

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Sep 01, 2011, 04:40 AM »
 If Illinois would let us use them on more of the lakes around here I would be! ;D

Sounds like you are really gearing up this year Redone.  Auger, sled.  Next thing you know, you'll be checking our snowmobiles and ATVs!  :o

surflizard

« Reply #4 on: Sep 01, 2011, 04:44 AM »
I replaced my old jet sled with a Medium otter last year and I agree with 3rd geer, it definately pulls better and it is better built !

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Sep 01, 2011, 04:47 AM »
Which Otter model do you have? The sport or the team Otter?
 Thanks
  Matt

ote author=3rd_Geer link=topic=196102.msg1912218#msg1912218 date=1314833322]
I don't have a large otter sled but I do have a medium one. I use it for when I don't take a shanty and it pulls awesome by hand. The design of the front of their sleds seem to make them pull better over snow. My friend has a clam sled and I think its lighter but the front end plows into the snow when dragging. If you look at both sleds tracks after pulling them in at least six inches of snow the otter sled doesn't have as deep of a track. It is also the thickest plastic sled you can buy, I wouldn't say its the best idea but I don't even use hyfax on mine anymore.
[/quote]

Offline 3rd_Geer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Sep 01, 2011, 10:37 PM »
I have the otter pro, but to be honest it is almost over built for using it as a pack sled being hauled behind my shanty. When I got it they didn't have the sport sleds available. If I did it again I would probably go with the sport because it is built almost as well as the pros but a decent amount cheaper. I'm pretty sure the sled will outlast me ;D. I use it for hauling stuff in the woods also because it is easier to haul over downed logs and through the mud than a wheeled trailer.

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Sep 02, 2011, 04:39 AM »
Thanks guys! I'm going to go with the Wild Sport large sled. It is only 23 LBS. and should be be enough to fit everything I would including the kitchen sink! The large Wild sport is still alittle smaller than the Medium Team otter sled but its 9LBS. lighter.
  Thanks to all that replied!
    Matt

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Sep 02, 2011, 12:26 PM »
You must really be shaving the ounces (pounds?).
I find it's not so much the weight of the sled, but the weight of what goes into it.  :o

If you add wear strips to the bottom of the sled, that will add a little weight also.

I have several Jet sleds (one regular size and 2 XL's).  I pull them with snowmobiles so I guess
I'm not so concerned about the weight of the sled, but how good the hitch is, how fast the sled
bottom wears out, etc.  I have been a couple miles from home before with a loaded sled and had
the hitch/tow bar come apart--I really hate that.  I have since beefed up the hitches/tow bars.

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Sep 02, 2011, 02:45 PM »
 Here in Illinois they are not to keen on you driving snowmobiles out on the lakes or even ATVs, so I am trying to make my load light because some of the lakes I fish are a long ways from where u can park.
  Matt

You must really be shaving the ounces (pounds?).
I find it's not so much the weight of the sled, but the weight of what goes into it.  :o

If you add wear strips to the bottom of the sled, that will add a little weight also.

I have several Jet sleds (one regular size and 2 XL's).  I pull them with snowmobiles so I guess
I'm not so concerned about the weight of the sled, but how good the hitch is, how fast the sled
bottom wears out, etc.  I have been a couple miles from home before with a loaded sled and had
the hitch/tow bar come apart--I really hate that.  I have since beefed up the hitches/tow bars.

Offline PsychologicalPerch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Catch and Release (Feel better and less fat)
« Reply #10 on: Sep 02, 2011, 04:23 PM »
get the strikemaster sled!!
Fishing is a sport in which thinking is involved it is the covenant between nature and man, mother and son. Through fishing only can we recreate the link that has been tarnished throughout the existence of the modern era of mankind. Fishing is the answer yet people ignore it and consider it a "stupid" thing to do. What do these people do instead? They stare in front of color changing boxes. Is that life? My life is fishin

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #11 on: Sep 03, 2011, 11:38 AM »
OMG, here come the sled wars!!!!  :blink:
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.