The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Ridgid auxiliary handle fail  (Read 2344 times)

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Ridgid auxiliary handle fail
« on: Mar 06, 2019, 12:22 PM »
I have used a Ridgid 1/2 inch drill for 4 years, and was never impressed by the auxiliary handle. It kind of clamps over the drill, and has 2 little jaws that lock into features in the housing of the transmission. It worked well at first, but over time the clamp bolt has bent, and it started slipping off under heavy load. Bit by bit the features that this handle is supposed to grab on are rounding off, and it started falling off more frequently. As the features have gotten too bad, I use the handle less and less, and not I have a drill that I have to use basically 1 handed. Lates season we are drilling 36 inches of layered slush and ice, and it is so grabby it often yanks the drill out of my hands.
Has anyone else seen this? Any fixes other than returning the drill for a new one?

I am starting the timer to see how long it is before someone tells me to buy a Milwaukee.  ;)

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ridgid auxiliary handle fail
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2019, 12:26 PM »
I’ve heard the same issue with Milwaukee. Buy a Clam plate.

Offline gf hardwater guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 06, 2019, 12:33 PM »
Ditto on the clam plate. I used a dewalt last year and can relate to the one hand thing and it ripping your arm off. After you get a clam plate adjusted correctly, all of that goes away.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #3 on: Mar 06, 2019, 12:35 PM »
Exactly why i got the clam plate when i bought the ridgid octane.i knew there would be issues running the side handle.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 06, 2019, 12:58 PM »
Many guys including me have had the experience of the Ridgid Octane not marrying up with the Clam plate. Wobble, wobble. My Milwaukee Fuel does well though. Can't you just get a new extension handle for the Octane? I mounted mine at a 180 degree angle from the trigger handle and it works better as an auger drive. Better leverage placement.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 06, 2019, 04:13 PM »
I have the same issue with my Ridgid this year. It is not the octane version. I plan on moving to the clam plate for it as well. 79.99 at dicks sporting goods and field and stream, free shipping.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Mar 06, 2019, 04:45 PM »
The support handle is just what I called it, a support handle. Its to help you hold the drill stationary for hammer drilling concrete. They are not built to hold back the torque of an ice auger. They all fail eventually, dewalt, ridgid, milwaukee, ryobi, makita, all of them.

Clam plate it and hope you don't have the dreaded Ridgid/Clam wobble.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #7 on: Mar 06, 2019, 04:52 PM »
just get a hold of of the closest authorized repair center and tell them yours has failed and to get you one. have them call you when it's in.

https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/service-centers-repair

i have been using ridgid tools for many years and never had an aux handle fail. i own three ridgid hammer drills. i bought a clam plate, but it was a joke and customer service was even worse so i sold it back to dicks sports.

if you over torque it, you can bend the bolt.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Apr 06, 2019, 03:00 PM »
I tried to get a warranty replacement, and Ridgid refuses to replace the drill. They call this "wear and tear". My next idea is to put the handle on with JB Weld, and see if that keeps it from slipping off. If that does not work, Ebay has bare tools for under 50 bucks, so I will consider the drill head to be a replaceable part. That would not be the worst thing- the batteries are the most expensive part of the system.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #9 on: Apr 06, 2019, 05:07 PM »
Don't call ridgid. Look up your closest authorized service center and they will take care of you. I posted the link above.

If you don't want to wait, you can buy parts. That is not normal wear and tear or there would be a bunch of us looking for resolve.

Offline Tom1983

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Sep 23, 2019, 07:11 PM »
I’m planning on getting a Rigid this year.  Seems like getting a clam plate is the way to go.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Sep 23, 2019, 08:26 PM »
Tom... don't be in too big of a hurry to jump on the Ridgid Octane/ Clam plate combo without understanding the potential pitfalls. Both 3300 and I went through a lot of heartburn last season trying to get that combo to work and I think we both finally threw in the towel. The Ridgid has a lot going for it: attractive price, more torque than you need, and that lifetime guarantee is a unique feature. I use one as a shop tool and it certainly performs well. On the downside, it's a couple of pounds heavier than the Milwaukee Fuel, primarily because the battery is just bigger. However, the drill housing is also bigger and its Transformers styling just does not marry up at all well with the Clam trigger linkage. For me it was like driving down the road with a bent axle. The Milwaukee Fuel drill, though spendier, does not present the same problem. There are good reports about the newer DeWalts but I have no experience with them as an auger power unit on a Clam plate. Anybody? Personally, I find that the Octane, mounted to my auger unit through a StrikeMaster adaptor (similar to Kovac) with the auxiliary handle mounted opposite the trigger provides better leverage. I brace the handle against my hip and drill between my toes and can cut hole after hole. I'm seventy. If I can, anyone can. To those guys getting pushed around by their drills and bending the handles, it may be time to sharpen your blades or find an auger style less grabby. Look at the Nero among a few others. This being America, you will, of course, do as you please.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Sep 23, 2019, 09:34 PM »
I have a Ridgid and it matches quite well with the Clam plate My bud's Ridgid seem to work just as well too
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Sep 23, 2019, 09:40 PM »
I am running the Octane and clam plate with no issues what-so-ever. I used it up to 26-28" last year with a clam extension.  ???

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Sep 24, 2019, 09:06 AM »
I have a Ridgid and it matches quite well with the Clam plate My bud's Ridgid seem to work just as well too
I am running the Octane and clam plate with no issues what-so-ever. I used it up to 26-28" last year with a clam extension.  ???

Story of my life. Lucky in love, unlucky in Ridgid Octane/ Clam plate connection.

I'm trying to decide if I want to just sit out the drill/ auger wars this Fall. Probably not. It's not just a Ford/Chevy deal any more. Lots of good brands and combinations available.

I like the one I've got and will defend it,  but as they say, "one man's sweetheart is another man's sweathog".
                                                               Stinky

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.