Author Topic: How often is too often?  (Read 7893 times)

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
How often is too often?
« on: Nov 11, 2015, 09:15 PM »
I try and make fish and chips twice a week, on Sunday and Wednesday nights....But the more I read online the more I wonder how safe it is. Diabetes, heart disease, etc.
I usually just coat in flour, splash in eggwash and deep fry at 365. Would eating fish and chips twice a week put me at a large risk for heart failure, etc.?

Offline rags

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: How often is too often?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 11, 2015, 09:34 PM »
use a healthy oil , I asked  this same question while at the doc's office . I was told I could eat fish 3 to 4 times a week

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 11, 2015, 09:39 PM »
Baking isn't a bad way to do it. Lost my taste for any fried food many years ago and Doctors tend to agree. https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=baked+fish+recipes  Tried many and they are pretty good

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
« Reply #3 on: Nov 11, 2015, 10:42 PM »
i see it this way: i will die, sooner or later. i just hope to have a good taste in my moth when it does happen....
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 12, 2015, 07:53 AM »
fried foods are not healthy

Offline Beerslushy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 12, 2015, 09:33 PM »
I don't know.  Fish in general is good for you.  Deep frying not so much. 

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 13, 2015, 09:36 AM »
fried foods are not healthy

But oh, so tasty. :)
May the fish be with you.

Randy

Offline JiggerDan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 13, 2015, 09:44 AM »
Some things are worth dying for. ;D
Jesus ain't the only one who walks on water!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Nov 13, 2015, 09:48 AM »
Ice fishing is significantly more dangerous than eating fried foods.  Thus, if you are fine with ice fishing don't worry about fried fish twice a week.  Its funny how soft our society is these days....worried about fried food pfff ..there are chemicals in the gatorade you just drank that are banned in Europe for being known carcinogens...but ya worry about some fried food lmao!

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #9 on: Nov 13, 2015, 02:17 PM »
So drinking gatorade, while ice fishing, to catch some fish that you will then deep fry twice a week....pfff.   ;D ;D

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 13, 2015, 03:22 PM »
Ice fishing is significantly more dangerous than eating fried foods.  Thus, if you are fine with ice fishing don't worry about fried fish twice a week.  Its funny how soft our society is these days....worried about fried food pfff ..there are chemicals in the gatorade you just drank that are banned in Europe for being known carcinogens...but ya worry about some fried food lmao!

I totally get what your saying, but I don't know anyone who has died ice fishing and yet I do know (or did) a few guys that died of heart failure from their eating habits... That being said, I'd eat fish and chips twice a week without a single concern.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline redneckdan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 13, 2015, 03:58 PM »
I used to love fried fish. In my mind it was the ONLY way to eat walleye and perch.

I went awhile without it in college. Now it doesn't really taste good anymore. And it sits really heavy afterward. Like eating a brick.

I bake more often now. Chowder too. Dink perch, gutted and skinned then quick boiled in 7up and eaten like cocktail shrimp are pretty good!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #12 on: Nov 13, 2015, 06:01 PM »
your making me hungry for a pound of bacon, baked of course! at the restaurant it gets fried some times.
put it on parchment paper and cook 25/30 minutes middle rack at 400 degrees on a large cookie sheet.

Offline spud bar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 17, 2015, 11:51 AM »
Great thing about heart disease is that you can do lots to prevent it. Just don't over indulge, exercise everyday, and keep yourself at a healthy weight. Don't smoke or drink excessively. Being overweight will do more harm to you than eating fried foods a couple times each week.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 18, 2015, 10:30 AM »
i think the lesson to be learned here is "everything in moderation"

personally, i've been learning a lot of new ways to cook fish over the past year. bluegill gumbo, grilled bass, steamed perch, roasted trout...

i think i've maybe fried 3 batches of fish in the past year. but only one of those was deep fried (pan frying is a less oily option that i prefer)

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 18, 2015, 10:38 PM »
Now are we talking pan fried or deep fried?

There is a difference in what the end result will be like.
Pan frying is usually at a lower temp and allows the fish to retail more oil when done.
Deep frying is at a higher temp, so unless you put the fish in before the oil reaches the optimum temp you will have crispy fish instead of soggy.

Now if it were a matter of the fish quality based on possible water pollution, then you have more problem to consider.
Unfortunately here in MA we have so many polluted rivers and connecting ponds that edible fish are usually targeted in only a few bodies of water. The problem we have is the result of the old mills that used the rivers as a power source. Between the PCB's and the mercury in the waters, acid rain sounds like a picnic by comparison!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #16 on: Nov 19, 2015, 01:56 PM »
I would say twice a week is quite a bit, I think I have fish and chips maybe once a quarter if that... Anything in moderation is good, as long as you have a way of burning the calories after the intake. My freshman year of college our Fraternities cook made mostly fried items and I ended up putting on 30 lbs over the first year. Still dealing with my weight as a result of my diet in college. I would dial it back a bunch and have it maybe once or twice a month, try different ways of preparing fish, sauteed in a pan with butter and garlic is always good, or grilling it on a cedar plank etc... There are definitely more healthy options out there! It's kind of like the people that sue McDonald's because they're 500lbs and can't live a normal life because McDonald's made their food too delicious. I definitely beg to differ!

Offline DFresh75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Nov 20, 2015, 10:23 AM »
The main issue like everyone says is the oils.  It has a ton of Omega 6's so your balance of Omega 3's is way out of whack and that causes inflammation.  Omega 6s are on the rise due to how we have changed the food supply.  Eggs, which used to be considered healthy are now not because chickens are fed an omega 6 rich diet vs omega 3.

I would say 1x a week would be what to try for.  I love fish and chips but the grease and fatty parts aren't healthy in any way shape or form and basically removes any health benefit from the fish.

Offline DFresh75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 20, 2015, 10:31 AM »
Not that anyone cares, but I lost my dad at 57 to cancer and stepdad at 70.  My dads was likely Agent Orange, but i think diet is really something people don't think enough about.

This video is the doctor who lived for 15 years with a brain tumor after changing his lifestyle.

=1111

This first video shows obesity over time.  Its shocking.

=844

The second video shows how the food supply changed and how Omega 6's stimulate cell growth which = bad for us as cancer is unregulated cell growth.

Food for thought.

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Top 5 Pike:14-5,15-5,15-10,17-0,18-4, 2B cont.
« Reply #19 on: Nov 20, 2015, 12:25 PM »

Dink perch, gutted and skinned then quick boiled in 7up and eaten like cocktail shrimp are pretty good!

This sounds like a good way to deal with not being able to find bigger perch! Do you cool them and eat them cold?  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Top 5 Pike:14-5,15-5,15-10,17-0,18-4, 2B cont.
« Reply #20 on: Nov 20, 2015, 12:41 PM »
I agree with everything in moderation. But.......I lived with my lady, Alma, for 10 years. Because she insisted, we ate tofu, quinoa, (grain) massive amounts of greens, everything organic, meat only twice a week, fish fairly regularly as I always catch 'em haha. After 10 years I had so much joint pain I thought I would be on early disability. She developed multiple myeloma and is now in an urn on the window sill. 2 years later I'm back to my old ways. Drink at least a 12 pack beer every weekend, meat every day, but I do exercise. Non of my veggies are organic and I smoke something in the smoker every week. I have a turkey in there right now. I also make jerky every other week and snack on it all day, every day. I'm making some right now. I don't smoke cigarettes.

Bottom line, she's gone and I was almost a cripple, eating as well as we possibly could. Back to my old ways for 2 years and I literally feel 10 years younger. I can even run around the park again with Boner. I couldn't even walk fast 2 years ago.

I fry my fish in olive oil with cornmeal on the stove, just because I like it that way. I hate deep frying.  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline DFresh75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Nov 21, 2015, 11:07 AM »
Sorry for your loss.  I hate Cancer.

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #22 on: Nov 24, 2015, 07:11 PM »
you need to detox and rid your body of chemical intoxication,just to be safe then, you could enjoy ayce fish fries with no worries,there are a few ways to detox,chelation seems to be the most effective
GOD BLEss
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline Firetrap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Nov 25, 2015, 07:37 PM »
There are people that eat fast food everyday.  Eat your fish be happy. I would worry more about mercury than the fats.  Use canola oil to fry.  Has omega 3 heart healthy oil. Or try coconut oil. Fats are essential to your diet. Eat the good ones. Sugar (carbs) makes you fat, fat does not.   The worry with fats is colesteral in your blood. Exercise balance your diet, maybe eat fried fish and salad instead of potatoes.  Try different recipes. I love fish tacos.  I do not bake fish. I either fry or GRILL.  Filet and leave skin on. Put some butter or olive oil on it. Squirt some lemon or lime juice and season with chili powder and cumin. Make a taco seasoning for a rub.  Pick the fish off the skin and put on either a grilled tortilla or crisp up some corn torts in oil.  I make fresh pico de gallo, salsa verde, pink chile mayo sauce and shred cabbage.  Yum.  Gonna do up some red snapper that way soon now that I'm think about it.  ;D

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #24 on: Nov 30, 2015, 03:42 AM »
Just a thought here......check out how Canola oil is made. Read the process thoroughly, then tell me why anyone would consume it.

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 03, 2015, 03:33 PM »
there's balance in all things. i think dragging my sled and gear through 1+feet of snow in february with 0 degree temps to catch fish balances out the bad that comes with me frying them and eating them
Beer will get you through times of no ice better than ice will get you through times of no beer...

Offline adam1416

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 07, 2015, 06:05 PM »
I wonder more about the mercury?

Offline spud bar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 07, 2015, 07:04 PM »
Just a thought here......check out how Canola oil is made. Read the process thoroughly, then tell me why anyone would consume it.

Rg

I have. Canola oil is extracted with the help of hexane - a toxic solvent. It's used to manufacture glues, used as and industrial degreaser, found in bio-diesel and gasoline, and as a general purpose cleaning agent. I know it's used in the processing of sunflower, soybean and Canola oils- not sure about other oils, and it's my understanding that some level of the chemical is present in all of them. Whether or not it's safe for human consumption is still debated, and not regulated by the FDA.
Yum!

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 12, 2015, 09:13 AM »
I dust mine lightly in flour and then pan fry in a little oil---just enough to wet the pan. Seems fairly healthy to me. Fish N chips is a whole other ball of wax!
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #29 on: Dec 17, 2015, 05:58 AM »
I wonder more about the mercury?

Good thing I read all the replies because this was my answer...   ;D
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.