Author Topic: Brining trout and salmon  (Read 2502 times)

Offline buzzbomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
Brining trout and salmon
« on: Jan 29, 2004, 09:31 AM »
Has anyone out there found that trout and salmon need less salt in the brine than white-fleshed fish?  A couple of years ago I bought some spring salmon from the supermarket and brined and smoked them the same way as I do walleye and pike and they came out too salty for my taste.  Since I plan on doing some trout fishing in the near future I'm considering cutting down on the salt by about half.  I like cider 1197's idea of using herbs with trout but don't know about pre-cooking then smoking them...is that common?  With waterfowl and venison I smoke them, then cook them.   Keep your shtick on the ice.
The problem with quotes on the internet is that they're difficult to prove.
Abraham Lincoln, 1866

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
Re:Brining trout and salmon
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2004, 12:06 PM »
Buzzbomb
It is not the amount of salt it is the time spent in the brine. Go to the smokeing northern pike for the time table I posted for brine time. Useing less salt will not cure the fish for storage. I found that with Salmon and Trout adding Molasses to the brine and dill it adds a nice sweet flavor. Try the recepites for brineing and additives for flavor. you will not be sorry. Plus use the timetable for brineing per pond of fish it works great. When you pull the fish out of the brine give it a good rinse with water to get the salt off the flesh. Ive been smokeing fish for years and trust me on this it does work. If you have any questions on this IM me about it.
Cold Feet

grumpymoe

Re:Brining trout and salmon
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2004, 03:30 PM »
coldfeet is correct. do not reduce salt. its the brining time you need to correct. geez, you guys are making me darn hungry when talking about trout. grumpymoe

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.