Author Topic: Wind Powered Battery Charger  (Read 5475 times)

fishmann

Wind Powered Battery Charger
« on: Jan 15, 2004, 05:31 PM »
I've been kicking this idea around for a couple years, but never pursued it. Has anyone ever built or seen such a device? Something that would be self contained and charge a battery whenever the wind was blowing. I know they are available already built, but quite spendy. I was thinking of making one with a small amp automotive alternator, large fan, etc. Just looking for info or ideas. I used to have an 8x8 permanant house with great lights, lights over each hole, a blower motor in heater ducting to blow air from the ceiling to the holes and keep em open, an alarm system, all kinds of goodies. (I'm in the auto biz, all kinds of stuff that you can do with 12 volts) It wasn't much of a hassle to haul out a deep cycle, but would be nice to not have to ever transport it. Heres a link to a manufactured one, but at $800, not really what I had in mind. Anyone?

http://www.cetsolar.com/airmarinex.htm

Offline woodyjdh

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!-Certified!
Re:Wind Powered Battery Charger
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2004, 09:37 PM »
After looking at a few RV websites, I too wondered why a person couldn't make a small wind powered generator to keep the batteries at peak.  My thoughts were to use 4-5 small metal funnels, (plastic might work too), and plug the holes.  Mount them on a small kiddie bike wheel, and mount the alternator in the center.  Then using a pipe, mount the setup in the air a foot or so above the fish house.  The problem is I don't have an alternator laying around to try this out.  Too bad we can't get together, and make this sucker work!?!
Where there's a Woody, there's a way!
I don't suffer from insanity-I enjoy every minute of it!

fishmann

« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2004, 08:13 AM »
If you really want to try something, you should be able to get a used alternator from a salvage yard pretty cheap. I'd recommend a low amp one, old GM style, maybe 25-30 amps. The GM ones exciter circuit can be powered up by one single wire ran off of the output terminal. If you have any questions, email me, it's in my profile.

fishmann

« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2004, 08:18 AM »
LOLOL... Just for grins and giggles, I called up one of our suppliers to see what he'd get for one. He said he'd pulled one off an 82 S-10 yesterday, but there was a crack in one of the mounting ears so he didn't send it out to the place that wanted it. He said he liked the idea of what I wanted it for, said he'd get it in the delivery loop for me, should have it in my hands this afternoon, for NO CHARGE!! Gotta love that!! I'll let you know how things progress. :)

grumpymoe

« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2004, 11:44 AM »
why bother with an alternator?? check out some of the automotive suppliers in your neighborhood if you're thinking of having 12volt lights and whatnot. pickup a solar powered battery charger!! being in the auto business, its not hard picking up some cheap batteries.) i dont bother using the deep cycle).. grumpymoe

fishmann

« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2004, 02:25 PM »
For the steady and long term amp draw, I'd want to use a deep cycle. I've thought about the solar idea before, but they get pretty spendy for anything with any substantial output.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jhtml?id=0000901013860a&navAction=push&navCount=1&indexId=&podId=0000901&catalogCode=IE&parentId=&parentType=&rid=&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fcatalog%2Fitem-link.jhtml_A&_DAV=search

That one is 15 watts, which is about 1.2 amps, and runs $120. I just checked an 1156 bulb, it draws 2.25 amps for one bulb. Figure 6 of em to get any kind of light inside the house, and you're at 13.5 amps. That would equate to 11.25 hours of charging at 1.2 amps for every hour you run your lights. Throw in a radio at 5 amps, and you're quickly out of the range of what the solar panel chargers are designed for, unless you get into some serious dollar units. I'm trying to do this on the cheap, cause I am kinda cheap, but I also like to tinker with things. I appreciate the thought, and don't mean to poo poo it, but I just don't think it wolud do the trick.

grumpymoe

« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2004, 03:19 PM »
you didn't poo poo it. sounds like you've got a greenhouse  ;D with all those lights and whatnot. have you considered your commercial electricity supplier?? ;D ;D---let us know what you end up doing and how it works out. grumpymoe

fishmann

« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2004, 03:29 PM »
LMAO.. thanks moe, I'll keep ya posted as things get along.

Offline outdoorwally

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Wind Powered Battery Charger
« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2004, 04:16 PM »
I have been thinking about this for our hunting cabin.I had the same idea of using the altenator for the built in regulator. I had the idea of using a squirrel cage type blade to catch the wind, so that it didn't have to turn to the right direction.With a regular fan If it turned too far it would need some type of bearing joint so as to not break the wires.
Any input on this?

fishmann

« Reply #9 on: Feb 05, 2004, 04:55 PM »
I've either been too busy or not making the time to work on it, alternator is still sitting here next to my desk. What I was thinking about was using a set of starter brushes and a commutator so that it could spin freely. No direct wire connection. I also need to poke around a little more on the net, it seems to me that an alternator may have a draw on an engine of approx 2-3 hp, which would mean the fan drive would have to put out that much force. I'm thinking an overdrive belt system would be needed, even if I cut some of the internal windings to get output down to maybe 10 amps. Lower output would equal less required driving force. As you can see, I doubt this is going to be something I can just throw together in an afternoon. :( Still in the thinking phase before I spend a whole day screwing with it just to find out it isn't EVER going to be feasable.

Offline Shaggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 2004, 05:02 PM »
Hey Fishmann......
Look on ebay for solar power batt charger. Ad says they come out of VW cars they are used to charge batterys while sitting in yard waiting to be prepped and shipped. They put out some decent wattage.

Offline littlesturgeonguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2005, 06:08 PM »
also been thinking about the alternator idea for a couple years was thinking for the fan maybe a guy could rig up the cooling fan from a car/truck to it

ARMSTRONG_BROS.

« Reply #12 on: Jan 25, 2005, 11:07 AM »
Anyone come up with a charger yet? I work in the maintanance field so ill talk to some electricians about this and see if they can help me make something up.

Offline tarbot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2005, 01:05 PM »
I've seen wind powered battery chargers in the boating / yacht magazines.... I'll see if I can get a couple of links

Offline tarbot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2005, 01:20 PM »
Here are a few links.... don't know if this is what you are looking for....  must be a nice shanty if your looking at one of these  ;)

http://www.oceanshelf.com/ProductCat/ResultsProd110.asp

billybono

« Reply #15 on: Jan 25, 2005, 01:27 PM »
you would have to have some serious wind to get an alternator to work. think about the rpms involved ??? does not seem possible to me.

Offline littlesturgeonguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 25, 2005, 06:08 PM »
thats were different sized pulleys would have to come into play.  granted its not going to spin as fast as on an auto but i think it would still have more output than a solar panel and cheaper

ARMSTRONG_BROS.

« Reply #17 on: Jan 26, 2005, 12:26 AM »
I talked to an electrician tonight at work he is going to draw me up some wiring plans.  He says no problem if you can find blades for the propeller, like a windmill or what not. the way he was explaining it it actually sounds real simple. when he gets the wiring plans to me ill post them here if there are enough people that are intrested, or i can try it and if it works ill post. if you want it posted just let me know.

billybono

« Reply #18 on: Jan 26, 2005, 11:20 AM »
http://members.1stconnect.com/anozira/SiteTops/energy/Alternator/alternator.htm

read under the modifications part. also

http://www.otherpower.com/otherpower_wind_alternators.html

exactly what your thinking about

billybono

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.