Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Darkhouse Spearing

need help

(1/4) > >>

MTpike:
I've tried spearing three times this year and all three times i've had the same results. I set up shop, put my platic perch color decoy in the water and within five minutes a pike shows up and either i dont get a shot at him or i miss him or he falls my spear etc.. After that though nothing ever shows up, one pike and thats it. What am i doing wrong. What's the average number of pike that come under your guys' spear holes Also when you do hit one, do u let go of the spear or just pin him to the bottom. When one shows up, do i keep jigging the decoy or immediately grab my spear. Any tips would help. Thanks

Whatpole:
My first question is, is it just you, or is someone along with you? If someone is with, you or the other person can man the spear, while the other person can jig the decoy alittle. Be sure to ease the head of the spear in the water before you give it that toss. Second question is, how big are the barbs on your spear? You want some fairly aggresive barbs to hold the fish on the spear. Do you use a live decoy? I try not to pin the fish to the bottom, as this really murkies up the hole. There are days I have limited out spearing, and there are days when I, just like you, have only seen one fish, and that is right after I set up, and seen nothing for the rest of the day. I would try a jigging rattling Rappala once, see if you can "call" some in.

MTpike:
I usually spear by myself. I could get someone to come man the decoy though (good idea). My spear is definately not the cream of the crop and the barbs are quite small. Now that i think of it, the day i did use a live decoy i had two pike come in. Are live decoys more effective? Thanks for the tips. I am definately going to try using a rattling rapala.

Whatpole:
Check the F&G regulations for the max size of your fishing hole. In eastern MT there is no size limit to the hole you can fish out of.

With the Rapalla, I would remove the hooks to use in the spearhole. As far as live bait, I would see what you could do to tie it on, so as not to use a hook.

These suggestions are dependant if you can or cannot fish out of your spear hole.

MTpike:
Thanks. I'm in the central district and the way I interpret the regs is if the water you're in is open to spearing, you can fish or spear out of your hole and it doesn't matter how big it is.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version