Author Topic: 2 Holes to fish in.  (Read 3664 times)

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
2 Holes to fish in.
« on: Jan 12, 2004, 05:52 PM »
Does it irk some of you fellow BCers when you read posts about guys using 2 holes ie Deadsticking and jigging? When I go to Alberta I can fish 2 holes. Heck I can even use fish (dead) for bait.                                 Here in BC we can't fish 2 holes. Anyone thought of protesting with me? We were talking about this on the ice yesterday. You know you can use 2 lines if you are alone in a boat in summer so why not icefishing?             Was thinking about taking my small inflatable on ice with me, drilling 2 holes, hopping into inflatable and fishing. Would this hold up in a court of law???
Just complaining about BC fishing laws.

Offline Josephs Prairie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • See you on the ice!
Re:2 Holes to fish in.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2004, 06:36 PM »
I'll bet you would win!! I too think we should be able to use 2 rods through the ice, as long as we are within the "regulation" distance from each rod.
Do you know the allowed distance you can be away from your rod on the ice? do some research and post your answers here. We'll see how many know.
NAFC Life Member
Catcherman.com Staff
B&D Custom Lures Pro Staff

Ice Gido

« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2004, 10:27 PM »
Hi Terrygonefishing.  I've pondered that same question for a number of years.  I've never felt that anyone was going to fish out a lake or river through a single 6" to 12" column of water, let alone 2 columns.  Besides, that is what catch limits are meant for.  I don't know what the logic is behind limiting fishers to one rod and it makes sense to me that we should be able to use two rods. Although, I think that there would be an outcry from the purists and naysayers.  Any ideas on how to get the regulation changed or at least to get into some sort of dialogue with the law makers?

BCSmits

« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2004, 07:32 PM »
We had this same discussion on the ice not too long ago.  We all liked the boat on the ice to make it legal bit, but I think Ice Gido said it with the purist comment.  Lots of those in BC, and with the flack that even "catch and release" fishing got in some of the fall fishing mags, I can see a lot of those folks complaining about us ice fishermen leaving a hooked fish to play itself out to exhaustion under an unmanned hole.  Never knew there was a "regulation" distance from the hole though!

Offline Josephs Prairie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • See you on the ice!
Re: 2 Holes to fish in.
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2004, 05:31 PM »
Oh, there is a distance regulation from your hole. You'll find out when you go to your truck and when you come back there are two C.O.'s standing there waiting for you. Not that it happened to me but it  did happen to a friend of a friend. I'll try to find the reg. for you guys.
NAFC Life Member
Catcherman.com Staff
B&D Custom Lures Pro Staff

Offline tbone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2007, 10:04 PM »
Intresting old subject. I never heard of the distance rule. Anyone know? What about areas that you can set line? Can't you technically put your name on your rod call it set and then fish with another rod?

Offline salmoncandy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2007, 10:34 PM »
If there are any CO's out there on the ice shanty please help us. Ill tell you a little story about my time fishing on Vancouver Island. When I use to work as the manager of a major fishing store i ha a really good chat with the CO's and they told me that evan though it was assumed that if you were in a boat by yourself you could fish 2 rods. RIGHT..WRONG. What they dont tell you is they stopped using that rule and you were allowed to fish as many rods as you thought you could manage. Even though there were no rules stating such. They told me they dont want to promote everybody fishing so much gear cause most people cant handle all the gear. I did on several ocasions while i was guiding some people on a day of fishing get stopped with 4 lines and 3 in the boat. They said nothing which of course I already new. So evan though it dosnt say you can, does it say you cant.. That is the question i pose. OK maybe it does, i dont know but whats the diffrence how you atch your limit if that is te stated limit posed.
HMM i as you.
SC

Offline perch-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born To FISH Forced To Work
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2007, 01:24 PM »
Hey salmoncandy in Manitoba you can haVE 2 LINES for every lic . you must be within 50 meters or 150 ft of second line . We also can use live or dead minnows and a varity of other bait as well. But in summer we can not have a second line under any circumstances. 

Offline tbone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2007, 10:38 PM »
I just re-read page 9 of this years BC regulations on unlawful fishing methods including: "use more than one fishing line, EXCEPT a person who is alone in a boat on a lake may angle with two lines". Like TGF said why the difference from hard to soft water....

I don't see anywhere in the regulations about a regulated distance from the hole, but if you kept your name and address labeled on the rod I'm sure you could claim an unattended set line  ;)

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
« Reply #9 on: Feb 05, 2007, 10:42 PM »

I don't see anywhere in the regulations about a regulated distance from the hole, but if you kept your name and address labeled on the rod I'm sure you could claim an unattended set line  ;)

Exactly! Now here's my question....if you have a legal set line down....can you jig as well? Can you put your buddy's info on it and say he's coming out in the morning to check the set-line? Thats where it gets fun.....stupid rule IMO.....someday ::)

2007 Lake Trout Champion. Bring it on!

"I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude"
-Thoreau

Offline dabber-doo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dreaming about big gills and crappies !!!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 05, 2007, 10:54 PM »
wow I thought we only had stupid rules in the states!!!!!!
I've was on the ice and fishing Nov. 23rd 2008 and don't plan on stopping tell spring breakup 2009 !!!!

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 05, 2007, 11:04 PM »
Yeah and you can't technically put in a set line because when your dropping it down the hole your fishing with it. And fishing with bait here is illegal unless on a set line for burbot. But the moment your 50 meters away from it...its a set line. Closer than 50 meters and thats your fishing line...illegal and all ??? .  So make sure no C.O. is around when your putting a set line in if you use them. I much prefer jigging ;)

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
« Reply #12 on: Feb 05, 2007, 11:05 PM »
Easy.....drop setline, drill hole 50m away...giver go!

-Thoreau

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 05, 2007, 11:14 PM »
Tried that once...got 75.00$ fine from Adrian >:(. Oldtimer told me it was OK, he left and C.O. showed up and handed me the ticket.

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
« Reply #14 on: Feb 05, 2007, 11:15 PM »
Ouch! Nevermind!

PGK...tries not to bend rules :-X :wacko:

-Thoreau

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 05, 2007, 11:17 PM »
Some rules are just stupid eh ???
Kinda like you can get a 100.00$ fine for spitting in public....but vomiting is OK and no fine given ???

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.