The Dark House Spearing board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: How often do you lose the fish  (Read 3151 times)

Offline Bill Collector Bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The ice doesn't melt, it cries!
How often do you lose the fish
« on: Jan 24, 2008, 08:19 AM »
How often does the fish get off the spear? I know the better the spear / spearer the less it will happen but I'm worried going out my first time that with my mediocre spear if I can't pin him to the bottom for a second or two he might get off.

I know to just let the spear go if you can't reach bottom and let him fight himself out I'm just curious what you guys have to say from experience.

Any hints?

-Bob

Offline Whatpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: How often do you lose the fish
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2008, 09:50 AM »
I lost some really nice fish. I rebuilt my spear, as you can see in the Spear pics post on here. I bought a new spear that didn't have much for barbs, and I risked it anyway, I know I lost a 12 - 14 lb northern because of it. That night, the spear got revamped. I named it Gracie, short for Coup de Grāce . http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=71486.0
"Isn't he precious." My daughter looking at a 12" walleye
"The Green Hornet strikes again!"

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2008, 11:21 AM »
How often does the fish get off the spear? I know the better the spear / spearer the less it will happen but I'm worried going out my first time that with my mediocre spear if I can't pin him to the bottom for a second or two he might get off.

I know to just let the spear go if you can't reach bottom and let him fight himself out I'm just curious what you guys have to say from experience.

Any hints?

I never hold them to the ground. After I let go of the spear I quickly grab the rope and pull him up then rite above my hole I made a jam plank to shove the fish up against and wait for him to comm down. I have lost 1 fish before but that was because I hit him in the wrong place, in the tail, and if you hit him rite behind the gills he is for the most part under control and much easier to handle. So I would say hitting him in the rite spot is more of a big deal then the spear, but don't get me wrong some spears need some modifications.

Offline spearchucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2008, 07:08 PM »

Any hints?

The more agressive the barb the better. Some of the cheapy spears out there just have the barbs made by cutting a little slit in the side of the tine and bending the metal out to make a barb. It usally ends up being really weak and thin which can cause you to loose a fish. I use an Amish built spear and they hammer the tines flat before cutting and bending the barbs so they end up nice and thick. I think the ones that have the tines welded or brazed on are the best. I have started to collect old spears that I come across, just because I think the different designs and methods are pretty cool.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.