Author Topic: North Idaho Ice  (Read 539595 times)

Offline catskinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Why can't it go from warm to instant fishable ice?
Re: North Idaho Ice
« Reply #4080 on: Feb 23, 2021, 09:28 PM »
That’s good news, I was trying to be sarcastic
It's all fun and games until someone doesn't pick up on the sarcasm.  :roflmao:
Doing what I do best, exploiting the natural resources of the world.

Offline TOMINATER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4081 on: Feb 23, 2021, 11:39 PM »
Im going to try my luck at Curlew this week while visiting the in-laws. Probably last ice trip this year for me. Cant finish out this year without catching anything!

Offline S.moyer0331

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4082 on: Feb 24, 2021, 10:35 PM »
Im going to try my luck at Curlew this week while visiting the in-laws. Probably last ice trip this year for me. Cant finish out this year without catching anything!

Morning bite at cocollala has been pretty consistent, did about 40 today and kept only the big ones. Don't give up yet man! If you strike out on Curlew, let me know and maybe I'll meet you at cocollala and give you some pointers

Offline TOMINATER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4083 on: Feb 24, 2021, 10:49 PM »
Morning bite at cocollala has been pretty consistent, did about 40 today and kept only the big ones. Don't give up yet man! If you strike out on Curlew, let me know and maybe I'll meet you at cocollala and give you some pointers

Thanks man I appreciate it. I went to Cocolalla last weekend during midday and got skunked. I would take you up on that though.

Offline smitty661

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4084 on: Feb 25, 2021, 07:44 AM »
how is the evening or late afternoon bite on cocolalla? Im going Saturday afternoon somewhere, just haven't decided where.

Offline AHuntersLarder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4085 on: Feb 25, 2021, 10:14 AM »
Decent Perch Bite on Freeman last weekend. No Pike though.  ;D

Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Offline ddhread

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4086 on: Feb 25, 2021, 03:57 PM »

S.moyer can I secretly tell you when my dad is going so you can give him some pointers haha! He prefers Springy Point, but it hasn't worked out this year. Convinced him to go to Freeman a couple times with some luck. He probably hadn't been to Cocollala in 20 plus years and didn't have any luck at all on Tuesday. He stopped going because of the spots on the perch. It really surprised me to see that they still have them!

Thanks 

Offline S.moyer0331

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4087 on: Feb 25, 2021, 05:48 PM »
S.moyer can I secretly tell you when my dad is going so you can give him some pointers haha! He prefers Springy Point, but it hasn't worked out this year. Convinced him to go to Freeman a couple times with some luck. He probably hadn't been to Cocollala in 20 plus years and didn't have any luck at all on Tuesday. He stopped going because of the spots on the perch. It really surprised me to see that they still have them!

Thanks

Haha ya, I'll pick a day next week and let everyone know that wants to tag along for some pointers.

Offline catskinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4088 on: Feb 26, 2021, 01:23 PM »

Thanks
Those spots are a parasite that cycles between the fish and fish eating birds, like cormorants. The are not harmful and don't go through the skin. Here is an article about it.

https://www.outdoorcanada.ca/black-spot-disease/

Offline Idahoice77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4089 on: Feb 27, 2021, 01:21 PM »
How’s the ice staring to warm up

Offline willrile4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4090 on: Feb 28, 2021, 12:04 AM »
Has anyone been to twin lake the past couple of days? I am wanting to go tomorrow or Monday. I heard that they were open water.

Offline catskinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4091 on: Feb 28, 2021, 12:13 AM »
How’s the ice staring to warm up

I was on Hauser today, it was making ice all day it had 2" of new snow on it, the sun softened up the top quarter in. but by 2pm it was crusting over.

Offline catskinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4092 on: Feb 28, 2021, 12:19 AM »
Has anyone been to twin lake the past couple of days? I am wanting to go tomorrow or Monday. I heard that they were open water.

Plenty of ice on Lower Twin walked clear across last Saturday 10" on the far side

Offline willrile4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4093 on: Feb 28, 2021, 01:03 AM »
Plenty of ice on Lower Twin walked clear across last Saturday 10" on the far side

Thanks catskinner!

Offline Harbisgirl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4094 on: Feb 28, 2021, 10:30 AM »
We've fished the north end of Cocolalla a few times but would like to try the south end. I've read some conflicting information about directions and parking - some have mentioned that its illegal, trespassing on BNSF property. How do you get there and where do you park?

Offline Idahoice77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4095 on: Feb 28, 2021, 12:19 PM »
It is on railroad ground but I’ve never seen Any enforcement there just a few trucks parked in the bushes by the tracks

Offline plfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4096 on: Feb 28, 2021, 08:19 PM »
Fished Blue Lake this afternoon from 3 until 5:30 with my son.  A small group was coming off the ice and they had been skunked.  Ended up with one small pumpkinseed and only saw a couple on the flasher the whole time.  Definitely slow for action and slow on the flasher.  11.5” of solid hard ice with no slop on top and about an inch of snow on top. I’ve go to head to Boise next weekend for the state basketball tourney and with the warmer temps coming....I’m not sure if fishable ice will make it until the weekend after next....but we’ll see.

Offline Bonaro70

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4097 on: Mar 01, 2021, 02:27 PM »
The key to Cocolalla is 35+ ft in depth and sunrise and sunset.  I did well with waxworms last week but hard to come by.

Offline TOMINATER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4098 on: Mar 01, 2021, 05:51 PM »
After all this warm weather this weekend what lakes are still going to be fishable? I want to get out one last time before the end of the season hopefully.

Offline S.moyer0331

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4099 on: Mar 01, 2021, 09:52 PM »
After all this warm weather this weekend what lakes are still going to be fishable? I want to get out one last time before the end of the season hopefully.

Bunch of us will be out on cocollala Wednesday morning

Offline TOMINATER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4100 on: Mar 01, 2021, 10:43 PM »
Bunch of us will be out on cocollala Wednesday morning

I wish I could! I have to teach that morning! Should hopefully be up on Saturday or Friday night if the ice is still good.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4101 on: Mar 02, 2021, 08:29 AM »
I was on Cocolalla yesterday (Monday) .  Beautiful day and the ice was great.  Fishing was real slow. 

Offline catskinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4102 on: Mar 02, 2021, 12:03 PM »
I was on Cocolalla yesterday (Monday) .  Beautiful day and the ice was great.  Fishing was real slow.
I was there on Sunday and it was real slow 🐌 3 of us caught 8 fish in about 5 hours. Did anyone else find them, whenever one showed up on the electronics they would at least bite.

Offline shawdawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4103 on: Mar 02, 2021, 02:44 PM »
fished the south end of Cocolalla this morning.  Fished 4+ hours and didn't mark a single fish.  Probably drilled 35-40 holes.  Dead sea today!!

Offline catskinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4104 on: Mar 02, 2021, 07:00 PM »
fished the south end of Cocolalla this morning.  Fished 4+ hours and didn't mark a single fish.  Probably drilled 35-40 holes.  Dead sea today!!
How many different depths did you try?

Offline catskinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4105 on: Mar 02, 2021, 07:08 PM »
Ok guys,  anyone  ever catch any channel cats through the ice? Hauser, Cocalala, Jewel or anywhere else they are found.

Offline shawdawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4106 on: Mar 02, 2021, 07:36 PM »
How many different depths did you try?

Started in 28 ft where we caught 150 last week.  Tried out to 32-33 and all the way into 20.  Just an off day or the fish moved out, not sure.  we fished about 20 holes in one area, then, hiked down the lake a couple hundred yards and canvased that area as well but wasn't our day. 

Offline catskinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4107 on: Mar 03, 2021, 11:24 AM »
Started in 28 ft where we caught 150 last week.  Tried out to 32-33 and all the way into 20.  Just an off day or the fish moved out, not sure.  we fished about 20 holes in one area, then, hiked down the lake a couple hundred yards and canvased that area as well but wasn't our day.
We had the same problem on Sunday but there were many others around us with the same "luck" .  When they showed up on sonar they usually bit but weren't always caught. Just wonder if they moved out deeper.
Anyone else have any solutions or ideas?

Offline Harbisgirl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4108 on: Mar 03, 2021, 05:48 PM »
How is the ice out on Cocolalla today? Just drove by and nobody is out there.  Sure has been warm the last few days :(

Offline TOMINATER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4109 on: Mar 03, 2021, 06:57 PM »
How is the ice out on Cocolalla today? Just drove by and nobody is out there.  Sure has been warm the last few days :(

I second this, but for any lakes around here too. I want to go Friday evening and hoping the ice is still good anywhere in north Idaho.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.