Author Topic: I bring good news  (Read 1203 times)

Offline onehook

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Shack Trout
I bring good news
« on: Dec 07, 2007, 07:17 PM »
Well today I decided to burn a little gas and headed up to the lakes region Pemi and wickwas have fishable ice of up to 5inches where I looked(in the small coves) by the public launches. I also checked out some of the small trout ponds around Meredith and they had a honest 2-3 inches. I also have reports of 5-6 inches of ice in Tewksburry pond in Newton NH from a good friend and will fish there tommrow, I also found 4-5 inches of ice in a cove by the Kingston lake state park. On the way back I also saw alton bay, looking good about 100-150 yards past the band stand and the ice at the boat ramp is 2-3 inches thick. Wont be long before winni startes to lock up. Good luck this weekend and check ice often, this early ice can be very spotty.

Offline doabbs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Mmmm smelt...
Re: I bring good news
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2007, 08:06 PM »
I'd also advise people to be careful, especially tomorrow.  The warm front just moved through up here and gave us a quick dusting of snow, but tomorrows temps will be more seasonable and therefore above freezing.  Things should continue to lock up Sunday, but there are some currents on the bigger lakes that may make the ice thick near the boat launches but waaaayy thinner not much further out.

Offline cSpike

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: I bring good news
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2007, 07:06 AM »
I'd also advise people to be careful, especially tomorrow.  The warm front just moved through up here and gave us a quick dusting of snow, but tomorrows temps will be more seasonable and therefore above freezing.  Things should continue to lock up Sunday, but there are some currents on the bigger lakes that may make the ice thick near the boat launches but waaaayy thinner not much further out.

I remember one yr fishing Canobie for the first ice. I had 4" of nice black ice. As I chiped my way ( I usually carry the spud and drop it hard out in front of me with every step until I've covered the area I'm fishing) all of a sudden it went swooosh. This was not ten feet from where I had placed my last trap with 4" of ice. I backed up slowly and chipped holes heading towards where the spud went thru. It went from 4" to 2" in that short distance. I didn't dare see how much thinner it got for obvious reasons, but yes it can and does change drasticlly on lakes.
Note: this is not just a first ice phenomenon either. It can exist thruout the whole season. Just ask the many snowmobilers that go thru up in Maine.

Spike
Traps? Who needs traps? I have a jig rod and a Vexilar!
gallery

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.