Author Topic: Doesn't Seem To Be Many Guys On Here After Whities  (Read 4898 times)

Offline Whitefish Slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
Doesn't Seem To Be Many Guys On Here After Whities
« on: Jan 02, 2007, 09:49 PM »
There's never really any new topics to talk about whitefish on here and there only seems to be a very small population who really target them hard!! I personally love catching them they are just so much fun to catch.  Not many ppl where we live can catch them it takes patience and most ppl just give up they don't like watching them bite really gently, they'd rather catch smelt.  I think it's fasinating how they bite very lighty and when u set the hook it's just instant line stretcher!!
how do u guys on here fish them? just curious

Offline Logan22

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish-a-holic
Re: Doesn't Seem To Be Many Guys On Here After Whities
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2007, 11:21 PM »
Whites have been my main target since I was 3.  I love catching them as well.  I usually use home-made wire worms.  I have a few wet flies that I have tied, and they work really good too, especially the late season.  I fish in about 7 feet of water and about 1 foot off of the bottom is usual for me.  If just the plain hook dosnt work, then I might throw on a maggot or two.  I cant wait till march!  Then its my time to shine!  ;D
Born to FISH, Forced to WORK!

Offline Whitefish Slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2007, 08:39 PM »
that just amazes me u catch them in that much water, that high off the bottom WITH NO BAIT!!!!

we fish no less than 30 feet right on the bottom with a very small hook with pikerel eggs or small peice of fish!!

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2007, 10:28 PM »
we use a dropper hook under a sz. 7 pimple w/ a sm. chunk of smelt as bait. got 2    17in.whites today on a local lake while fishing for smellts. they took a blue glow hali jig w/ a sm. chunk of smelt. hooked em on a ul pole! what a fight!

Offline Logan22

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish-a-holic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2007, 06:48 PM »
I have always done well fishing that way.  So you just drop bait down on the bottom and wait?  Or do you jig it once and a while?  The next time I go out I would like to try some deeper water...just for kicks.

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2007, 06:51 PM »
If i could find some around me, id be after them ;)
                      The official Padwan Shirt of the MIRC    MIRC! iced out!

Offline shaun_300

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2007, 09:40 PM »
I love fishin' for whities! Talk about fun. There are tons of them in the main lake that I fish in. ;D

Offline jabers69

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2007, 10:30 AM »
last year I had got my deer so i saved al the stuff that was blod shot where i hit  for chum . So i put apiece on a hook  for burbot put down the hole and about 2 min, later the line starts moving alittle so I set the hook and guess what i pull up my first white fish . So thats what we used the rset of the year and we caught afew nice white fish useing deer meat.
hook and cook

Offline mormyshka

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2007, 08:21 PM »
I am fishing them 30 to 80 FOW (usually jigging microjig tipped with wax worm or maggot at30-40 FOW
and setline with dead or salted minnow  or jigging with Swedish pimplewith at 40-60 FOW-right on the bottom)
Great fish to catch and to eat-in my old country(Poland) it was called the" salmon of the winter"
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I just wasted.

flockshot

« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2007, 01:02 PM »
i never get into whitefish..never seem to find them in good numbers without driving..but i target their little cousins tullibees(or ciscoes) alot during the winter..

Offline Logan22

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish-a-holic
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2007, 06:20 PM »
i never get into whitefish..never seem to find them in good numbers without driving..but i target their little cousins tullibees(or ciscoes) alot during the winter..

How do ciscoes taste??

flockshot

« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2007, 10:44 AM »
not as good as white fish..but smoked they are awsome...

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #12 on: Feb 06, 2007, 10:11 AM »
Over here in Montana we have three diffent kind of whitefish, but the only ones worth keep'n' are the Lake Superiors.  Flathead lake has a huge population of them and they come up the Flathead river in late September to spawn and are in the river until about January.  I catch them with a 1/2oz to 5/8oz green lead head with a Watermelon Powercraw and a couple maggots fishing from a local bridge.  Average fish size is in the 2+lb range up to 6lbs.  There are old timers that I fish with that catch 20+ a day.  I limit my fishing to a couple hours at best and I've done better and better as I've learned what a Whitey bite feels like....If you think it might be a bite, set the hook!

In the Summer you can catch them in the lake in about 35-60 feet of water and they stack up in there like cord wood.  We jig with RattleSnakeys, Pimples, Zimmer RattleDZastors, or lead heads...no bait needed.

The State Record was set this Summer by a 16 year old kid from Missoula, MT that had never fished for them before in his life.  He caught a 10.8lb Whitefish that was over 24 inches long!!!

We also have Lake Superior Whitefish in Whitefish Lake and Lake McDonald in Glacier National Park.  I haven't fished for them in either location.  I have heard that people caught quite a bunch through the ice on Whitefish lake, but I haven't done that yet.

Offline trapperman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 15, 2007, 05:54 PM »
Quote from: Whitefish Slayer link
that just amazes me u catch them in that much water, that high off the bottom WITH NO BAIT!!!!
we fish no less than 30 feet right on the bottom with a very small hook with pikerel eggs or small peice of fish!!

Here on the st. marys I fish in about 3 ft. of water and we do fairly decent.

Offline Logan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The "Ling King"
« Reply #14 on: Feb 27, 2007, 11:40 PM »
Here in Alberta I catch them sight fishing with a wire worm tipped with a single maggot in 8-12ft of water just slowly working the column, or I catch them on a small 5 of Diamonds tipped with a minnow tail in deeper water. I also use a  spoon to get them in deep water 25+ feet.
My wife told me that if I go ice fishing again she'll leave me. God, I'm going to miss her! :D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.