The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Fillet O' Yellow Perch!!  (Read 1751 times)

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
Fillet O' Yellow Perch!!
« on: Jan 27, 2024, 12:44 PM »
I don't use an electric knife . I know some of you guys do.
Some one here or on a FB thing asked....
Some of these fillets will be fried, sautéed, crab stuffed or poor man's shrimp!
Yep, those eggs are good eating too!!! Sometimes I just split the skein, dip in some corn meal or batter and fry. I don't eat a ton of them, but like then a few times a season... I've made fritters fro them also. I'll post a few pics in the next couple days... I'm thinking crab stuffed with garlic white sauce in on the menu!
Can you guess what that little turd thing is?  :woot: :icefish:

"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline DowneastPescador

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Fillet O' Yellow Perch!!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2024, 01:07 PM »
Soft plastic, what a surprise ;)

Offline Wallace3716

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2024, 03:02 PM »
I asked about them. Someone said 7.5" is a good threshold for what you can easily filet. Makes sense to me because I can't feel the bones when I try to filet much smaller and ending up getting bones in them. Between the pics and advice from you and the midwest guys I'll feel more confident the next time I try a bunch. 

I make a flounder "stuffed" crab that's more of a casserole either in a big dish or in individual gratins. Really its shallots in a roux mixture and then fold in your crabmeat. Drape your filets over the top and then brush with melted butter and sprinkle a little breadcrumb. I am now thinking yellow perch could sub into that quite well.

Thanks for the pics.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2024, 03:08 PM »
I asked about them. Someone said 7.5" is a good threshold for what you can easily filet. Makes sense to me because I can't feel the bones when I try to filet much smaller and ending up getting bones in them. Between the pics and advice from you and the midwest guys I'll feel more confident the next time I try a bunch. 

I make a flounder "stuffed" crab that's more of a casserole either in a big dish or in individual gratins. Really its shallots in a roux mixture and then fold in your crabmeat. Drape your filets over the top and then brush with melted butter and sprinkle a little breadcrumb. I am now thinking yellow perch could sub into that quite well.

Thanks for the pics.
You're welcome!!! I usually on keep the 9" plus ones... Best stuff any size!!!
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2024, 03:53 PM »
I keep them all and i find that the electric knife is easier to work around the bones , if i do cut into bones in small ones  the knife makes is esy to get them out.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2024, 08:34 AM »
That plastic wonder if it was stuck in ? If the ones that used if smaller pieces were it would be better easier for fish to pass through .

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2024, 12:06 PM »
That plastic wonder if it was stuck in ? If the ones that used if smaller pieces were it would be better easier for fish to pass through .
[/quote]Looked to have been there a while....

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2024, 02:27 PM »
retail market should sell plastic in small pieces

Offline darby74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2024, 03:07 PM »
Put a 100% tax direct to the manufacturers for every one they sell, people will be forced to find something else to outsmart a fish.  Found one in a togue (filled the whole belly) that was 26" long.  It only weighed like 1.8lbs.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2024, 03:31 PM »
Years ago one of the last Sebago lake fish derbies the donated fish were cleaned and given to local food pantries and up behind the cleaning table they had Gal. jars filled with plastic worms taken out of cleaned fish.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2024, 03:49 PM »
Put a 100% tax direct to the manufacturers for every one they sell, people will be forced to find something else to outsmart a fish.  Found one in a togue (filled the whole belly) that was 26" long.  It only weighed like 1.8lbs.

Offline Scalloper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Eat Scallops
« Reply #11 on: Jan 29, 2024, 09:42 AM »
I also found one in a togue. The fish looked so sickly I cut it open to see what was in the bellie. It was disgusting. Then should be illegal.
______________________ ___

Its a lazy man that cant find his wife a second job

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 29, 2024, 10:07 AM »
Those  plastic worms should not be more than a 1/4" long

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Jan 29, 2024, 12:02 PM »
I also found one in a togue. The fish looked so sickly I cut it open to see what was in the bellie. It was disgusting. Then should be illegal.

The folks that would love to see all fishing banned would approve your message.  Be careful what you wish for.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #14 on: Jan 29, 2024, 12:18 PM »
The folks that would love to see all fishing banned would approve your message.  Be careful what you wish for.
There are other answers than just showing up your hands.... Biodegradable is an answer. Something that IS digestible. No need to over react...  :thumbsup: :icefish:

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Jan 29, 2024, 12:26 PM »
The funny and contradictory thing here is we the fishermen only know these plastics exist in a fish when we KILL a fish.  None of us have come accross floating fish dead from plastics.  Its only an issue when we decide to kill a fish and then bring up our "disgust"....very ironic.  Also my comment isnt an over reaction it was a comment on the flip side to continue the conversation...

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #16 on: Jan 29, 2024, 12:50 PM »
The funny and contradictory thing here is we the fishermen only know these plastics exist in a fish when we KILL a fish.  None of us have come accross floating fish dead from plastics.  Its only an issue when we decide to kill a fish and then bring up our "disgust"....very ironic.  Also my comment isnt an over reaction it was a comment on the flip side to continue the conversation...
Yep, The anti's won't be using that as an argument, except maybe to oppose soft plastics. I know vegans and folks that don't like hunting that applaud conscious and respectful harvest, but condemn simple killing blood sports. Respect and subsistence as opposed to killing for fun and masculine prowess....  Thanks for your comments. The couple of fish mentioned above were likely on the way to belly up. Seeing dead floaters in no real indicator as there are myriads of critters - flying, swimming, furbearing and snapping - that likely clean up most all mortality; whatever caused it. I believe that a small amount of rubber undigested is not fatal but  inhibits digestion. Probably some of the tiny stuff probably passes...  It's when digestive tracts are increasingly blocked the issue arises. I understand the reasons the plastic lure makers may not want to go to biodegradables may include shell-life as well as durability. 

Offline sploke

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 29, 2024, 01:22 PM »

But, how many of us are wandering around looking for dead fish?  And on the rare occasion that one is found, how often is the first response "hey let's grab that dead rotting fish and cut it open!"?
-Matt

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Jan 29, 2024, 01:41 PM »

But, how many of us are wandering around looking for dead fish?  And on the rare occasion that one is found, how often is the first response "hey let's grab that dead rotting fish and cut it open!"?

A number of us are on the water frequently enough where if this was truly an issue it would be a well known, documented issue. 

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #19 on: Jan 29, 2024, 02:23 PM »
A number of us are on the water frequently enough where if this was truly an issue it would be a well known, documented issue.
True! .... MAYBE... BUT How many of the fish that die for any reason end up bobbing around on the surface? I also watched some "catch and release" guys throwing back bleeding short stripers that swam off... Also I see guys on here with their fingers in gills and or blood showing then say "released" How often does that happen on open water? What ever the cause, I doubt you see them floating. Stuff eats them.... Seagulls, eagles and other critters are hungry and watching!!!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Jan 29, 2024, 02:45 PM »
All fair points and a worthy discussion.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 29, 2024, 09:05 PM »
amen.

Offline DowneastPescador

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 30, 2024, 03:34 PM »
I dunno, people rely heavily on plastics these days to catch fish. A lot of people would be out of luck if they banned them.  I have caught many fish that were very skinny and when I opened them up they had a soft plastic or the interior leadhead of those plastic swim baits in their stomach. To me it looked like nothing was getting past the obstruction so they start starving to death. I caught a trout last fall that hit the fly about 10 times. More than any fish should. It finally got hooked and when we cut it open it was unable to eat because of the senko in its gut. I dunno the answer to the thing. The fishing industry would crash if they stopped soft plastics :)

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #23 on: Jan 30, 2024, 04:00 PM »
I dunno, people rely heavily on plastics these days to catch fish. A lot of people would be out of luck if they banned them.  I have caught many fish that were very skinny and when I opened them up they had a soft plastic or the interior leadhead of those plastic swim baits in their stomach. To me it looked like nothing was getting past the obstruction so they start starving to death. I caught a trout last fall that hit the fly about 10 times. More than any fish should. It finally got hooked and when we cut it open it was unable to eat because of the senko in its gut. I dunno the answer to the thing. The fishing industry would crash if they stopped soft plastics :)
I disagree... We would have to be better fisherman AND the fisheries would be MUCH more healthy. The tech exists to do stuff better. It seems to me, lazy is not the answer....

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #24 on: Jan 30, 2024, 04:18 PM »
The fisbing industry has enough coin to effectively lobby against any legislation to ban plastics.  I would imagine they lobby om that topic already.  Slippery slope though.  Next its they try to ban fisbing line because we sometimes break off on fish and leave a lure or hook hanging from their mouth.....

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 30, 2024, 04:48 PM »
If there are dead fish out there  the eagles pick them up. Maybe some of the dead eagles are effected more from plastic then lead sinkers.

Offline grub662

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ya got any smelts?
« Reply #26 on: Jan 30, 2024, 05:05 PM »
If there are dead fish out there  the eagles pick them up. Maybe some of the dead eagles are effected more from plastic then lead sinkers.
Can you post pictures of all those dead eagles?
If you fish the wrong lure long and hard enough it will eventually become the right lure!

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #27 on: Jan 30, 2024, 06:14 PM »
Can you post pictures of all those dead eagles?

Lead is the biggest factor. Probably death of fish resulting from plastics feeds many birds and others ... Also lead ammo kills many of our wildlife species. It takes traces amounts to weaken and kill.. https://raptor.umn.edu/about-us/our-research/lead-poisoning#:~:text=The%20Raptor%20Center%27s%20medical%20clinic,to%20alleviate%20their%20extreme%20suffering.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.