Author Topic: Largest lure for crappie?  (Read 720 times)

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
Largest lure for crappie?
« on: Nov 29, 2022, 09:28 AM »
I’ve had good results with the W2 Jigging Rap, and I’m convinced that bigger crappie like a bigger meal. Thinking that I want to go bigger. So, what is the largest lure you use for crappie?

Offline FishingCowboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Largest lure for crappie?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2022, 09:47 AM »
#4 swedish pimple.... #3 ultralight rippin (rapala).
Rounding them up for the corral.....

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2022, 09:59 AM »
Biggest I've gone for papermouths is a 1/8 oz jighead with a forktail soft body. The smaller ones still seem to work best for me; 1/16 oz and smaller, like a #8 wounded minnow.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2022, 10:03 AM »
I like your thinking markinohio. I often go bigger to "sort for size". Thing is often I sacrifice numbers. Open water I've had crappies absolutely hammer a #5 JR. I mean hit it hard enough to move the rod in your hand if you're not ready. All of those crappies ran 12 - 14"s.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2022, 10:04 AM »
if you can find active crappie, they will try to eat anything that fits in their mouths (& they have pretty big mouths for their size).

a good sized crappie has no problem going after a full-sized jerkbait (~4.5") in open water.

they'll hit bigger lures for sure...mostly minnow profiles up high in the water column...they like looking up.

i usually start on the larger size, then switch to smaller lures if I have no takers.  the bigger baits will cull out the bigger fish...they fall faster...fish quicker...easier to see on sonar...and you can use baits w/ real hooks instead of super micro stuff.

3" reins bubbling shaker is awesome for crappie (pink) thru the ice...most ppl start w/ ice plastics that are way too small...go bigger to start (esp. early + late, then adjust if they are being finicky)

sebile [berkley] vibrato is another great bait for crappie, salmo chubby darter, smaller rattle baits, slab raps, leech flutter spoons, etc, etc.

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2022, 12:17 PM »
Thanks everyone! I now have the confidence to give 2 and even 3 inch lures and plastics a good hard try this season.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2022, 12:28 PM »
Was catching crappie on 2" lip less crank baits this fall. Even 9" fish were hitting them pretty steadily.

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2022, 12:32 PM »
I got my personal best crappie this summer in August on the biggest jigging rap they make. You read that right, and I was just as surprised. I was thinking they were walleye, so I put on the biggest Rapala Jigging rap they make, appears to be 3 1/2", in a light chartreuse head, white body. Set the hook on what felt like a normal walleye, and up came a 16" crappie, my new personal best. My dad was in the boat fishing with a small jig and leech, and this crappie chose my big jigging rap.

I'm not going to say it is the best crappie jigging rap size, but for sure try them in the 2" range. I'm admittedly a big bait fan through and through. It never seems to fail, the biggest bait almost always get the biggest fish. My top 4 pike all came on the biggest baits. My dads top 2 also came on the biggest baits. My biggest pike had to swim around two average size suckers to get to a 12" decoy sucker and had it half swallowed in the 15 seconds it took me to get to the tip up. My biggest walleye came while trolling for pike in some deeper water with the biggest dives-to they make. Bluegill are about the only things I like smaller baits.
-Tom

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2022, 05:36 PM »
I have caught many nice Crappy on a #6 Chubby Darter.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #9 on: Nov 29, 2022, 07:38 PM »
I hooked up a 9" crappie on a 3/4 oz Lure Jensen Cast Champ spoon. 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 29, 2022, 07:50 PM »
This my go to lure. The plastic is 2". The 1/16 oz jig head adds a little extra length. Used to use micro jigs, but like the bigger profile. I feel the bigger crappie like them, and the smaller YP don't.

Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.