The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: pymatuning lake please help  (Read 1916 times)

Offline puddle

• IceShanty Rookie
  • miss ya brother in memory of mlp..........
pymatuning lake please help
« on: Nov 13, 2006, 11:05 AM »
any one out there fished pymatuning i need some spots to try im planning a trip this year up there.........
on the 8th day he created icefishing and on the 9th day he created vexilar........

Offline Indiana_Lou

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: pymatuning lake please help
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2006, 03:20 PM »
Puddle, Pymie is a big body of water. I think it's over 13,000 acre. Most people fish off the various boat ramps that are there in open water. It helps if you save some gps coordinates from the summer. But basically the lake is divided by a causeway and results in a northern half and a southern half. The northern half overall is shallower while the southern half has the dam and is deeper. People fish at both ends. There are several site that will usually have reports about it. Hope this helps somewhat.  Lou

Offline flagup

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2006, 09:09 PM »
I am also interested in doing some ice fishing on Pymatuning! Like Indiana Lou has stated that is one large body of water, need some advice to narrow down potential hardwater spots. I know a good spot for Crappie in open water during the month of May, would this spot be good through the ice?

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2006, 03:34 AM »
Wish I could help.  I plan to hit Pymatuning for the first time also.  Not sure of the "hot spots" but figure I'll start by hitting a few spots I normally open water fish and go from there.

Offline puddle

• IceShanty Rookie
  • miss ya brother in memory of mlp..........
« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2006, 02:30 PM »
ive never even been there a guy i work with fished it on open water said it was great>>>>where do you guys fish open water at???
on the 8th day he created icefishing and on the 9th day he created vexilar........

Offline sbfPA_Mike

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 15, 2006, 06:34 PM »
Here you go guys. If you click through the various archives, you can find a wealth of information.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=18411.0

I would like Puddle to check out the other threads on this site including, Perch, jigging, and baits. These threads can be found by scrolling down through the site.

Mike
I don't like it here, so I will probably be here for a while.........
 @ www.iceshanty.com  @ www.myfishfinder.com
 @ www.myhuntingforum.com[/si

Offline Indiana_Lou

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 16, 2006, 05:19 PM »
 To all, As stated in an earlier post, most of the activity occurs near the various boat ramps such as Manning and Snodgrass, If you fished it in open water hopefully you saved some gps points. I like to fish off of Manning and usually try to find the old creek channel or a mid-water hump. Hope this is some help.   Lou

Offline flagup

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 16, 2006, 08:36 PM »
To all, As stated in an earlier post, most of the activity occurs near the various boat ramps such as Manning and Snodgrass, If you fished it in open water hopefully you saved some gps points. I like to fish off of Manning and usually try to find the old creek channel or a mid-water hump. Hope this is some help.   Lou

I'm wondering if the activity occurs at the boat ramp locations because of easy access or because these are good spots to fish? The one spot I have in mind that I've done well for Crappies in May is gonna take a haul across the ice to get to but it may be worth it.

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 16, 2006, 09:07 PM »
Yes, got a few locations marked.  But while there I'll also be looking for the crowd, see what they are catching, fishing over (depth, structure, etc.), rigs, color..etc..  Talk to a few regulars, see what information they are willing to share.  The first cpl. outings may end up being nothing but a learning experience, but thats ok.  I'll still be on the ice having a Great Time!!!

Offline beagledogxxx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 20, 2006, 10:45 PM »
Ice hasn't been too great on pymie lately.  Two years ago I was on 5-6 inches just north of the causeway along with about 100 other guys...from what I saw, it was the best ice on the lake.   I don't know for sure that anyone got out on the ice last year at all.  When I head north,  I generally can't pass Shenango without wetting a line and never seem to make it to pymie.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.