Author Topic: NEW ICE GEAR 2021/2022  (Read 52394 times)

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: NEW ICE GEAR 2021/2022
« Reply #210 on: Sep 03, 2021, 02:04 PM »
Sounds like your bird has an electrical flaw then. I used my 35 on a 4 day trip and didn't charge it once, I'd say it averaged 6 hours of use per day. I bought it speficially for this trip and was very happy with the unit, for anyone looking for a cheap but quality unit.

Errbody is so defensive of amped/energized outdoors on this site, it's almost comical! For the record, I have nothing against amped besides their false claims of having better generic MKE/Dewalt drill batteries, which it looks like they stopped selling, thus justifying my complaint.

This is the downfall of sponsorships/pro-staffers/brand ambassadors. People become too committed to one brand they can't acknowledge flaws.
Nobody here is being “defensive” with the energized outdoor brand, we are simply stating we haven’t had issues with them is all. I could care less what brand it is, the price was right and I got a good deal on it. Not saying it’s better than any other brand, just stating that for the price it was a great deal and I’ve been happy with it. If I need a new one, I would go with whoever has the best deal.

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #211 on: Sep 03, 2021, 07:33 PM »
When I buy something, I look at price, quality and customer service.  Since most stuff is made in china, quality is almost out the window these days.  Amped outdoors has a good price, but their customer service is second to none.  I know personally because I did have one battery go bad.  Buy what you like, I'm not saying what to do, but Matt at Amped is outstanding and have my business for batteries.... every time I had a question or issue, I had an answer within an hour.  That is good enough for me.
Everyone has their stories and so be it.  All I can do is relay my experiences ...

D

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #212 on: Sep 04, 2021, 11:43 PM »
So when is Capsule Corp gonna release their instant pop up ice shelter?  ;D  comes with ice holes all drilled for ya when deployed.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
Da Pack!

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #215 on: Sep 06, 2021, 11:37 AM »
Is the full size door new for otter this year? I still don't understand the hype about the full size door, but apparently other consumers like it.

Yes ..Cabelas has/had a version as well . Less tripping going into/out of the tent .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #216 on: Sep 06, 2021, 11:38 AM »
Yes ..Cabelas has/had a version as well . Less tripping going into/out of the tent .

So has Eskimo. I suppose for the 60+ or <2 year olds it makes sense.
Da Pack!

Offline waterlike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #217 on: Sep 06, 2021, 12:38 PM »
If we could get a bookie to set the line for how many times people ice fishing in a hub trip over the bottom of the door on their way out when somebody yelled flag or fish, I bet the line would be right around 1.5 to 2 million  ;D

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #218 on: Sep 07, 2021, 07:23 AM »
If we could get a bookie to set the line for how many times people ice fishing in a hub trip over the bottom of the door on their way out when somebody yelled flag or fish, I bet the line would be right around 1.5 to 2 million  ;D

I'd take the over on that. Otter actually did a good job keeping the price point of the full door hub comparable to the regular style hub, it looks like it is only ~$40 more. My gripe with Eskimo was that they were trying to get $100 extra just for the door (comparing the 949i to the 350XD) which seems a little ridiculous for the little bit of convenience.
Da Pack!

Offline DBV

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #219 on: Sep 07, 2021, 10:54 AM »
I think the full size door is a great idea.  Makes it easy just to pull my stuff in, where now I have to lift my sled over to get it in, if I take my sled in at all.  And anyone can trip on the current hub, especially at night.  :)

I have the Otter Cabin and since I pull my gear the weight is not too bad.  I would like to upgrade Pro Lodge, but I think the weight starts becoming border line when pulling your own sled/shanty.  Wish they had a lighter one.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #220 on: Sep 07, 2021, 11:09 AM »
I love the full door and if looking to upgrade its going to be a consideration...my only concern is the zipper/zipper pull getting wet/frozen in the slushy conditions .

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #221 on: Sep 07, 2021, 03:51 PM »
Full size door on the big Eskimo required extra poles. Not worth the time Imo although it did work ok without them

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #222 on: Sep 08, 2021, 07:42 AM »
A good example of how everyone values features differently!

How have they not integrated LED lights into the hub designs yet? You'd think it'd be easy enough to run some wires between the fabric and have 5 small LED lights controlled by a switch with so many people always looking for DIY ways to add lights these days.
Da Pack!

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

Offline Garrett

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #224 on: Sep 09, 2021, 10:47 AM »
Boy that new flex drill looks like it was made to be an ice auger!

Offline Super Yooper

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When Hell Freezes Over... I'll Ice Fish There To!
« Reply #225 on: Sep 09, 2021, 10:51 AM »
Junkie4Ice- It looks like one of the big differences (besides the door)  with the 949i vs the 350xd is the fabric. The XD's show that they have the Storm Shield Fabric and the 949i is IQ. Both are insulated, but the website says Stormshield is a 3 layer fabric with an extra 80g insulation factor.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #226 on: Sep 10, 2021, 12:07 AM »
I have the 250XD and the 949i so I have a direct comparison.  The XD shelter has the Storm Shield fabric that is actually thinner than the IQ fabric on the Fatfish hubs.  In a way, that fabric folds just a tad bit easier and just a tad bit less volume.  It also reduces heat loss and doesn't frost up in that manner like the IQ fabric does.  Without the heat weld dimple/pin holes it does make a difference when the temps really starts to drop.  Now if they would just double pane the windows, it would also help reduce heat loss.

Overall it's a bit more trickier to set up the XD shelter and it also is more challenging to do so with one person and with moderate wind. 

For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #227 on: Sep 10, 2021, 04:00 AM »
NEW OPTION ?

https://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools/24-volt-brushless-mud-mixer-battery-not-included-fx6151-z

as a drywall finisher by trade i say hum. lol it sure must be powerful!  wonder if it could keep up with my ridgid and 9a batt though?  never seen one before thanks for posting.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #228 on: Sep 10, 2021, 06:15 AM »
as a drywall finisher by trade i say hum. lol it sure must be powerful!  wonder if it could keep up with my ridgid and 9a batt though?  never seen one before thanks for posting.

Some IS members have used the Milwaukee version of the mud mixer...I couldn't locate a torque rating for either mixer.

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Specialty-Tools/Mixers/2810-22

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
« Reply #229 on: Sep 10, 2021, 08:02 PM »
Some IS members have used the Milwaukee version of the mud mixer...I couldn't locate a torque rating for either mixer.

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Specialty-Tools/Mixers/2810-22

I use the Milwaukee Mud Mixer just for ice fishing and it has never let me down.  Drills lots of holes with no issues in any weather.  If I am going for just a little while and going to drill just a few holes I will bring a regular Milwaukee drill, but if I am going all day and drilling a bunch, the Mud Mixer is a great option.

Offline Fishtrekker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #230 on: Sep 13, 2021, 08:01 PM »

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #231 on: Sep 13, 2021, 09:02 PM »
Rapala dropped their new SmartHub accessories:

https://www.rapala.com/rapala/all-new-arrivals/rapala-new-arrivals/fishing-tools/

Looks like a nice line….should compete with the catch over stuff….I wish catch cover would come out with a rattle reel that lights up like the northern lights rattle reels.

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #232 on: Sep 14, 2021, 06:52 AM »
Rapala dropped their new SmartHub accessories:

https://www.rapala.com/rapala/all-new-arrivals/rapala-new-arrivals/fishing-tools/

Bummer, I was hoping those were compatible with actual hubs. Still a nice lineup!
Da Pack!

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #233 on: Sep 14, 2021, 08:06 AM »
Bummer, I was hoping those were compatible with actual hubs. Still a nice lineup!

I was wondering my self ..why have HUB in the name ..are those holes make for screwing into the permeant ice house walls ..are the at the width of a hub shelters hub socket ? Guess you could always zip tie them.

Thorn Bros has a better pic ..the Smarthub  detaches ..I am figuring those holes on eiher side aure for screwing to the Hub .

https://www.thornebros.com/products/rapala-smart-hub-rattle-reel

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #234 on: Sep 14, 2021, 10:30 AM »
I was wondering my self ..why have HUB in the name ..are those holes make for screwing into the permeant ice house walls ..are the at the with a a hub shelters hub socket ? Guess you could always zip tie them.

Thorn Bros has a better pic ..the Smarthub  detaches ..I am figuring those holes on eiher side aure for screwing to the Hub .

https://www.thornebros.com/products/rapala-smart-hub-rattle-reel

This is out of the description, I suppose you could probably modify it somehow to fit over the hub center points.

"Mount a single SmartHub independently on a flat surface in several locations around your wheelhouse to easily move accessories where convenient."
Da Pack!

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #235 on: Sep 14, 2021, 10:49 AM »
This is out of the description, I suppose you could probably modify it somehow to fit over the hub center points.

"Mount a single SmartHub independently on a flat surface in several locations around your wheelhouse to easily move accessories where convenient."

This was what I was thinking

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #236 on: Sep 14, 2021, 10:53 AM »
This was what I was thinking

Wow, how have I not watched that before? I love the idea. I'll definitely be giving that a try this season!
Da Pack!

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #237 on: Sep 16, 2021, 01:09 AM »
For those of you that want rattle reels for your hub house check out the Clam Lock Rattle Reels. Also check out the other Clam Lock hub accessories too. The rod holder link is not working right as of now but it does shoe the four different models that are offered.

https://shop.clamoutdoors.com/hub-rattle-reel.html

https://shop.clamoutdoors.com/clamlock-gear-pocket.html

https://shop.clamoutdoors.com/clamlock-cooler-bag.html

https://shop.clamoutdoors.com/clamlock-accessory-base-plate.html

https://shop.clamoutdoors.com/hub-rod-holder-2-position-and-4-position.html

https://shop.clamoutdoors.com/hub-shelf.html
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #238 on: Sep 16, 2021, 07:01 AM »
Some new boots, ice suits and base layers from Norfin https://norfinusa.com/collections/clothing
Da Pack!

Offline happyheber

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tie on a Maniac the fish'll go crazy!!!
« Reply #239 on: Sep 16, 2021, 10:37 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D im" in thanks

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.