Author Topic: NEW ICE GEAR 2021/2022  (Read 52396 times)

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: NEW ICE GEAR 2021/2022
« Reply #120 on: Aug 19, 2021, 07:00 PM »
Nope permanent house at 72 degrees- light jeans and tshirt.
Man, I miss fishing permies. They aren't even legal down here, since the ice rarely hits a foot thick.

i don't get it, you mean insulated float suits?  i let the moths have my old carhartts.. actually they might still be defrosting after i used them in some slush 8 years ago.

franks had a great deal on the trekker suit yesterday if anyone is interested.
Yeah, the space age moonsuits.

Offline manning1987

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #122 on: Aug 20, 2021, 12:53 PM »
Not seeing much in innovation from Clam this season . In the past at least an item or three stood out ...this season not so much.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #123 on: Aug 20, 2021, 01:41 PM »
Not seeing much in innovation from Clam this season . In the past at least an item or three stood out ...this season not so much.

I think the innovation for ice fishing is kinda coming to a very slow crawl on products anymore.

After really developing all the shelters having insulation with light weight, pop ups, wheel houses, float suits, electric drill augers, rod/reel materials and innovation, fishing line development, sonar development, camera development, and electronic gps & lake maps, & glow lures. I really don’t see much more that can be developed or brought to market that changes much.

Soft plastic molds for making a guys own baits has been developed pretty well.

About all that I can see really changing and being a game changer for Ice fishing for the year or next few is if a company like do it molds comes out with some specific molds for ice fishing lures. Not really any companies that have produced molds for ice fishing lures.

Only ones I could really find was a do-it molds small collarless round head jig, and a shad dart in small enough sizes for gills and perch.

Do-it is suppose to be releasing some jig molds fall of 2021 for ice fishing. I’m hoping for a small spoon mold for perch, crappie & a small multiple size mooska style mold for perch, crappie, and gills.

Nothing makes a guy crabby more then paying $2-$5 for a jig tying it on 1-2# test clear line and having a Bass/pike/walleye or big fish come in multiple times and break off the line stealing the jig you just bought multiple times a day. Some days I’ve had 10-12 jigs broken off by big 20in+ bass roaming the area munching on blue gills.

Sure you can put down a different line and catch them but who who actually is gonna keep and eat large mouths. You end up just putting them back and having the issue again in 20min.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #124 on: Aug 20, 2021, 02:08 PM »
I think the innovation for ice fishing is kinda coming to a very slow crawl on products anymore.

Sure you can put down a different line and catch them but who who actually is gonna keep and eat large mouths. You end up just putting them back and having the issue again in 20min.

TRUE TRUE TRUE...One spot I fish especially early morning to mid morning ..the bass stroll through and wreck havoc on everything tip ups tip downs jigging rods dead sticks ...munch through live bait like nobody's business.. when they come I just pull up my bait(s)..and wait it out for a spell .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #125 on: Aug 20, 2021, 06:26 PM »
Flame king heater

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #126 on: Aug 22, 2021, 12:07 AM »
Flame king heater

Nice to see some competition….but it doesn’t really bring anything new or change the way a guy would fish. IF the fame king handles a breeze/wind better then the MR heater….it’s a no brainer.

Offline sylvain guy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #127 on: Aug 22, 2021, 07:21 AM »
Not that I will run out and buy a flame king, but Mr.Big Buddys no longer have a fan on them. I have an old one that does.

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #128 on: Aug 22, 2021, 10:15 AM »
Nice to see some competition….but it doesn’t really bring anything new or change the way a guy would fish. IF the fame king handles a breeze/wind better then the MR heater….it’s a no brainer.

Great review.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #129 on: Aug 22, 2021, 10:57 AM »
Great review.

He has got some good content on his YT channel worth a peek.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #131 on: Aug 22, 2021, 03:34 PM »
Frabill catalog ice product begin on page 62-63

https://issuu.com/planosynergy/docs/plano_master_catalog_modified-compressed

Rapala (Canada)

https://issuu.com/normarkcanada/docs/2020_rapala_brands_canada_ice_catalog

Thanks for posting that. A few interesting things from them, a ready made power box, free fall type reel, a new suit, and they vypyr tip up isn’t like anything I’ve seen before I don’t think.

Offline primepin65

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #132 on: Aug 23, 2021, 09:37 AM »
Thanks for posting that. A few interesting things from them, a ready made power box, free fall type reel, a new suit, and they vypyr tip up isn’t like anything I’ve seen before I don’t think.

That Vypr tip-up does look interesting. I don't use tip-ups much anymore though. I would like to see how long the batteries last on the aerator/light combo. Initially I thought it had built-in hook storage for extra hooks/extras, but it looks to just be the battery compartment. My luck is that I end up getting cut off by a pike and my tackle box with hooks is 50 yards away in my hut... A smart man would just take the tackle box with them, but I am not that man....
"The mountain without is merely a crutch to help us deal with the mountain within."

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #135 on: Aug 27, 2021, 09:47 AM »

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #136 on: Aug 27, 2021, 09:49 AM »
That renegade pullover looks pretty nice. The rest just look big and bulky.
Da Pack!

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #137 on: Aug 27, 2021, 03:45 PM »
That renegade pullover looks pretty nice. The rest just look big and bulky.

$149.99 on the website.  ???

Offline tm37

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #138 on: Aug 27, 2021, 03:57 PM »
The Apex Suit looks Awesome, but 900 bucks for the set seems High

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #139 on: Aug 28, 2021, 09:21 AM »

After really developing all the shelters having insulation with light weight, pop ups, wheel houses, float suits, electric drill augers, rod/reel materials and innovation, fishing line development, sonar development, camera development, and electronic gps & lake maps, & glow lures. I really don’t see much more that can be developed or brought to market that changes much.

Soft plastic molds for making a guys own baits has been developed pretty well.

About all that I can see really changing and being a game changer for Ice fishing for the year or next few is if a company like do it molds comes out with some specific molds for ice fishing lures. Not really any companies that have produced molds for ice fishing lures.

Only ones I could really find was a do-it molds small collarless round head jig, and a shad dart in small enough sizes for gills and perch.

Do-it is suppose to be releasing some jig molds fall of 2021 for ice fishing. I’m hoping for a small spoon mold for perch, crappie & a small multiple size mooska style mold for perch, crappie, and gills.

Nothing makes a guy crabby more then paying $2-$5 for a jig tying it on 1-2# test clear line and having a Bass/pike/walleye or big fish come in multiple times and break off the line stealing the jig you just bought multiple times a day. Some days I’ve had 10-12 jigs broken off by big 20in+ bass roaming the area munching on blue gills.

Agree 100%. I’m happy with the gear I got (for the most part). I might sell my 24v SM and get a drill setup. New gear sucks. Prices are high, well MSRP anyway. Most ice gear, you are a fool to pay MSRP. And the quality isn’t what it used to be. It’s all gone down hill. You wouldn’t believe the issues I had with my X-over. I got it right when they came out. Took 4 canvases to get it right. Striker suits have become ridiculously priced. So has the rest of their gear. My striker bibs never seem to last more than a few years before they start coming apart or just get thin. A good pair of gloves can set you back 100 bucks, only to rip out after a year and the warranty is expired. IMO gear is only worth the warranty. One year warranty on this pricey stuff is a joke. Best auger on the market IMO is a Milwaukee drill setup. Five year warranty.

Offline kgpcr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #140 on: Aug 29, 2021, 10:53 PM »
How many times can you reinvent the wheel? Its round and works great!! So much for sale today is to catch fishermen not fish. And guys try and buy skills. One more piece of gear and i am set kind of guy when its not the gear.  Just my .02

Offline DBV

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #141 on: Aug 30, 2021, 07:11 AM »
Striker Apex suits looks really nice.  Would be great if it was lightweight, but also very warm too.  Will be interesting in trying one on, if anyone gets it in stock around me.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #142 on: Aug 30, 2021, 07:41 AM »
The new Rapala R12 knife will be a great one to have on the ice.  I put one to the test yesterday on a Catfish.   very impressive! 

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #143 on: Aug 30, 2021, 08:20 AM »
$149.99 on the website.  ???

Seriously?! Holy buckets, that is absurd essentially for a sweatshirt. I usually wear a kenders outdoors hoodie. It's windproof and water resistant. At $70 I thought those were pricey!
Da Pack!

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #144 on: Aug 30, 2021, 08:38 AM »
Seriously?! Holy buckets, that is absurd essentially for a sweatshirt. I usually wear a kenders outdoors hoodie. It's windproof and water resistant. At $70 I thought those were pricey!

It's not a sweatshirt. It's a heavy duty waterproof pullover.

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #145 on: Aug 30, 2021, 08:41 AM »
It's not a sweatshirt. It's a heavy duty waterproof pullover.

Call it what you want to call it. It isn't even waterproofed - "Extremely water resistant".

By definition, it is a hoodie.
Da Pack!

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #146 on: Aug 30, 2021, 10:07 AM »
Call it what you want to call it. It isn't even waterproofed - "Extremely water resistant".

By definition, it is a hoodie.

Yeah and you can call it whatever you want too.  When I think of sweatshirt I think of a soft cotton poly blend garment with a hood and a drawstring and a pouch pocket.  This is a durable fabric with DWR Hydrofobic coating with easy fit side access zippers and also underarm vents and pouch zipper.  It's made to be an in-between of a heavier shirt and a bulky jacket.   Again, call it what you want, but it's not a "sweatshirt".

I can also tell you it was Strikers highest volume pre-sale item to it's vendors for this winter.  It will be a hot ticket item. 

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #147 on: Aug 30, 2021, 10:13 AM »
Assault sweatshirt ??? ??? ;D

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #148 on: Aug 30, 2021, 11:10 AM »
A lot of folks..never wear their SI jackets ..this would fill a niche for some ..add a USB hand warmer to that zippered pocket its a nice feature

lot of other features.1/4 zip ..underarm vents ..the side zippers for EZPZ on/off ..and the lycra cuffs ..MSRP pricing a lil tough to swallow ..but features defiantly specific to an anglers needs

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #149 on: Aug 30, 2021, 11:22 AM »
Yeah and you can call it whatever you want too.  When I think of sweatshirt I think of a soft cotton poly blend garment with a hood and a drawstring and a pouch pocket.  This is a durable fabric with DWR Hydrofobic coating with easy fit side access zippers and also underarm vents and pouch zipper.  It's made to be an in-between of a heavier shirt and a bulky jacket.   Again, call it what you want, but it's not a "sweatshirt".

I can also tell you it was Strikers highest volume pre-sale item to it's vendors for this winter.  It will be a hot ticket item.

Of course it will be, the other options are in the $250-500 range. Absurd.

I bought the performance hoody when they had that, garbage. So they sent me a a rival softshell jacket last season, garbage. I'll probably complain again this season and get the renegade for free, which will also be garbage. But at least they have good customer service and keep sending me their newest model in hopes I'll jump on the bandwagon.

I'm going to call it a hoodie.
Da Pack!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.