New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Spring edibles foraging  (Read 10090 times)

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
Spring edibles foraging
« on: Jun 06, 2021, 06:13 AM »
When ice season ends I turn my attention to foraging. This was another great year for the ramps here in southeast NY, took about 25 pounds, eating all we could stand an selling about half of them.

From May 20 through June 5, we harvested every 3 days a huge flush of terrific golden oyster mushrooms, and could not even reach them all. Ate more than I should have and also put a bunch in the freezer for use throughout the year.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
Re: Spring edibles foraging
« Reply #1 on: Jun 07, 2021, 06:19 PM »
I estimate we took easily 40 pounds of golden oysters, I am still sauteeing them, eating some now and freezing some. We could not even reach I'd say 30 pounds that were too high in the tree, but we got to witness these high ones do a massive spore dump - you could see what looked like smoke pouring out of them and that will seed the area for the future to get more when the conditions are right.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #2 on: Sep 21, 2021, 07:07 PM »
This thread is now advanced to fall foraging season - that for me is all about fall mushrooms. My GF and I are monitoring a couple of oak trees that each have 6 hen-of-the-woods growing at their base, that we confirmed on 9/18. We are letting them grow and will harvest them in a few more days when they get to a few pounds each. We had a lot of rain in August which is benefitting mushroom growth now. This is going to be a very good fall mushroom season here in SE NY.

There is another flush of golden oysters starting on the same logs that we got them in June.  ;)

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #3 on: Sep 21, 2021, 07:17 PM »
Don't give up on me guys !  ::) I know this site is for ice fishing, and that was my first love and will always be more important than the other things I talk about on here. There is nothing I enjoy eating more than deep-fried crappie and perch, the same day they are pulled through holes in the ice. Let the countdown to ice begin. I am hoping I am just 80 days away from ice fishing somewhere that I have been before.  :-\

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Sep 21, 2021, 07:40 PM »
A friend took me foraging for mushrooms for my first time this weekend, and we harvested a bunch of saffron caps and boletes that (a) I mixed with scrambled eggs on Sunday and (b) my wife worked into a stir fry last night.

They were surprisingly good.

My buddy is supposed to take my older daughter and I on another expedition in a couple weeks for two other varieties of mushroom.

So I'm slowly adding to my repertoire of free food (my favorite kind).

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #5 on: Sep 21, 2021, 08:05 PM »
bogtrotter, that is awesome. Boletes and saffron caps are missing from my repertoire, but I am hoping to add them soon. For now, I consider myself still a novice, but that is OK because the best eating mushrooms are also the easiest to identify. I have eaten hen-of-the-woods, chicken-of-the-woods, golden oyster, white oyster, late fall oyster, morel and several species of puffball. Hens and oysters are my 2 favorite eating.  ;D

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Sep 21, 2021, 09:33 PM »
shaggy manes here like crazy,  a sign ice is soon to come!!!

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #7 on: Sep 26, 2021, 09:34 AM »
We took 28 pounds of hen-of-the-woods aka maitake mushroom yesterday and a couple of pounds of golden oysters. We located them 1 week ago and just needed to wait for them to get bigger. Sold some to my local restaurant owner friend for 10 dollars a pound, netting us 85 dollars. Am giving away some also to friends. Left about 10 smaller hens behind to keep growing and will be taking these next weekend.

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Sep 26, 2021, 04:36 PM »
The same friend who took me mushrooming for the first time last weekend took my older daughter (who has a better knack for it) and I again today.

First, he brought us to a grove that had some hen of the woods.  The grove was pretty picked over,  but we still found a few - - at least enough for a taste.

Then he took us a bit further afield, where we found a bumper crop of lions mane.

Finally, he led us to a spot closer to home, where we harvested some water cress.

Along the way, we stopped at one of those "free" tagsales (where someone puts a pile of stuff that they're trying to get rid of on their lawn with a "free" sign next to it) and my daughter made off with a corner bookshelf (LOL!), so today yielded a good haul in more ways than one.

Offline PerchPirate

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Sep 27, 2021, 08:34 AM »
Is this one edible?

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Sep 27, 2021, 01:15 PM »
Not sure PP..
 But on Saturday I found a puff ball with a perfect coyote paw 🐾 print on the top of it and claw scratches on the side….

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline PerchPirate

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Sep 27, 2021, 01:37 PM »
That’s cool!

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Sep 27, 2021, 02:49 PM »
Is this one edible?

Looks like an Amanita to me, so nope!
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline PerchPirate

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Sep 27, 2021, 03:38 PM »
I figured…I was mostly joking. I wish I knew someone that would take me and show me some easy ones to pick. I only found morels once and that property got sold and is now off limits. Too chicken to try others even though I am quite sure of some of them.

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #14 on: Sep 27, 2021, 06:26 PM »
Perchpirate, get familiar with pictures and descriptions of some easy to identify edible species. A printed field guide book or pics from the internet for mushrooms known to your area will get you more confidence. The best eating mushrooms in the eastern US are also some of the easiest to identify, and so if, like me, you never advance past novice stage, you will always be able to gather plenty of good mushrooms, See below for my list of what I consider to be easy to identify edibles.

Hen-of-the-woods
Chicken-of-the-woods
White oyster
Golden oyster
Blond morel ( or just morel ) spring season in NY
Giant puffball

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Sep 27, 2021, 11:43 PM »
Perchpirate,
I agree with WARRIOR. Get a good printed guide with detailed text and quality pics. Learn to identify one or two species to begin with, and if there’s doubt, don’t take any chances. Oysters and morels are absolutely safe to eat, and are easily identified. Follow up with an experienced “shroomer” to expand your knowledge of edible fungi, and see if there are any
groups in your area that are willing to share their expertise with a novice. Happy hunting!
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline PerchPirate

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Sep 28, 2021, 08:21 AM »
Thanks guys!

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Sep 28, 2021, 10:56 AM »
Join NY MUSHROOM HUNTERS.. ;)
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline SPIN 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Sep 30, 2021, 05:57 PM »

Hey warrior interesting read coincidently just finished mowing lawn found couple big clumps at base of oak.  Cool hobby I might try   Any cooking cleaning tips ? Thanks     looks like hens to me
More than 3 cars in my driveway when I get home ? Probably an intervention! I’m outta there!

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #19 on: Sep 30, 2021, 06:22 PM »
SPIN1, that is definitely a hen-of-the-woods in your pic. You don't really need to clean them, just brush off any loose debris or dirt. I like to cut into 1 inch pieces and sautee in half butter, half olive oil. Don't rush the cooking time, leave them cooking until they brown up since that really intensifies the flavor. After sauteeing, they are good as is if you would normally eat mushrooms by themselves. They are also outstanding as a home-made pizza topping  or in scambled eggs. ENJOY !  ;D

Offline SPIN 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Sep 30, 2021, 06:41 PM »
Thanks  gonna go try a chunk now
More than 3 cars in my driveway when I get home ? Probably an intervention! I’m outta there!

Offline SPIN 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Sep 30, 2021, 07:07 PM »
Damn that was good stuff just oil and butter        Thanks goin picking

Offline SPIN 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Oct 01, 2021, 03:05 PM »

Hmmmm causes hallucinations. Probably shouldn’t

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #23 on: Oct 02, 2021, 05:08 PM »
90 pounds of hen-of-the-woods this morning, I will try to sell some tomorrow. 4 specimens accounted for the entire weight, I Have not seen anything like it before. :P

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Oct 03, 2021, 10:56 AM »
found a bushel of Hen Of The Woods yesterday    took what I thought was enough for me    After dinner last night I'm going back today to finish the harvest    Mmmm good

Offline grababrewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Oct 03, 2021, 07:23 PM »
Any tips on finding wild Asparagus in the
Denver area next spring? I have no idea what to look for.....

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #26 on: Oct 03, 2021, 08:10 PM »
found a bushel of Hen Of The Woods yesterday    took what I thought was enough for me    After dinner last night I'm going back today to finish the harvest    Mmmm good

Nice going man ! I think my 90 pounds was at least a bushel.  I sold about 30 pounds today and pocketed 180 dollars. I needed two trips out of the woods to get it all, about 1 mile from the car, what a workout ! Cooked and froze a lot of it but still have 20 pounds in the fridge. Need to try to sell it or cook ad freeze the rest. I wonder what next weekend will be like !  ::)

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Oct 04, 2021, 11:44 AM »
A buddy of mine got me into mushroom hunting recently. This past weekend I was fishing a trout stream and noticed a bunch of chicken-of-the-woods so it looks like I'll be trying to cook them for the first time this week.
            P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Oct 04, 2021, 07:07 PM »
Any tips on finding wild Asparagus in the
Denver area next spring? I have no idea what to look for.....
It's best to find it now and mark the spot.  record on your map or GPS then go back in the spring . It's not easy to spot because the grass will come up first    Look closely it's there

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Oct 16, 2021, 06:27 PM »
My buddy Ed C took my older daughter and I mushroom hunting for a couple hours this morning.

We did pretty well - - In addition to harvesting quite a few oyster mushrooms, we also found some wild ginger and mustard greens.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.