Author Topic: 4th and goal  (Read 2196 times)

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
4th and goal
« on: Mar 18, 2021, 03:36 PM »
This season was an odd one, safe ice took awhile but once it came, it was great, its actually  still pretty decent..I was on a solid 18" today,but there are some scary looking pressure  cracks and with the snow ice melting all the drain holes are beginning  to show.fishing has been odd as well, rather unpredictable..it was great up to and during  the derby since then its been wildly inconsistent..
Tuesday, I fished an old late season  haunt and was handsomely rewarded with a good mix of white perch, yellow perch  and the ever persistent small mouth bass. And a few bonus crappie that came just under the ice on  sets for rainbows.

Wednesday,  same location, I setup in the dark anticipating a bonus day.. the only thing at the chow table were  small months.. LOTS of them,
I went through 5 dozen shiners, there were  a few yellows in the mix but not enough to cause any excitment..although I did sand a little one bye his butt when sounding a hole, my guess the smallies were feasting  on this YOY yellows.
Today, same lake , I took a 3 mile ride and hit another pet late season spot..still no whites, the yellows were decent and I only got 5 smallies,  I coved about a mile of lake,constantly moving gear not only in location but up and down the water column. Still no whites..Saturday  will be the last trip,  I've got to get the boat ready forblobstering andfor the April Hadfock opener ..I'll   on foot, as  I suspect  the shoreline wont be wheeler friendly..

"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: 4th and goal
« Reply #1 on: Mar 18, 2021, 03:44 PM »
Great report joe thanks!
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 18, 2021, 04:21 PM »
Yes, it was weird this year. I've almost buried my auger every trip for the last month! For late ice, it sure got thick!

Better safe than sorry. Good idea leaving the wheeler home.

Do you go lobstering alone? I would love to try it, if acceptable, and not to try to get lobster for myself. It's seriously on my bucket list. That and renting a smelt shanty.  :)

Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 18, 2021, 04:32 PM »
Yes, it was weird this year. I've almost buried my auger every trip for the last month! For late ice, it sure got thick!

Better safe than sorry. Good idea leaving the wheeler home.

Do you go lobstering alone? I would love to try it, if acceptable, and not to try to get lobster for myself. It's seriously on my bucket list. That and renting a smelt shanty.  :)
Yup.. lobster alone.. Every Saturday morning,  if you want to try it I'd be happy to take you a long, after we tend traps, we can go get some stripers if you want..

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 18, 2021, 05:16 PM »
Pics of the nameless ones Joe? I know you got a soft spot in your heart for them lol...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 18, 2021, 05:27 PM »
Pics of the nameless ones Joe? I know you got a soft spot in your heart for them lol...
LOL.. they stole all my bait..so I took mug shots!

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 18, 2021, 05:35 PM »
Hahaha, put the pic next to the register... No checks taken from these *****s...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 18, 2021, 05:41 PM »
Sounds like you had a great week joe, despite hit or miss and nameless fish. The trips are still always so worth it. Especially weekday fishing, very peaceful.
One more day to shine
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 18, 2021, 05:50 PM »
Sounds like you had a great week joe, despite hit or miss and nameless fish. The trips are still always so worth it. Especially weekday fishing, very peaceful.
One more day to shine
For sure..
.the weather was great, so even catching nameless fish is better than staring at statuues..I was the only one on the lake all week, got a visit from the warden yesterday  , I was surprised  he was in a snow machine..

Same one that checked me at the derby, we "shot the breeze" for a while.. nice gent.
I emptied the bait tank, I've got just enough for Saturday..

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 18, 2021, 08:07 PM »
Yup.. lobster alone.. Every Saturday morning,  if you want to try it I'd be happy to take you a long, after we tend traps, we can go get some stripers if you want..

That would be amazing! I've never been striper fishing either.
Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 18, 2021, 09:20 PM »
Been a strange season for sure.  See you sat hopefully they cooperate.  Glad you had a nice week all to yourself.  Thats always enjoyable.  Fish are a bonus. 
Salmonemia

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 19, 2021, 08:21 AM »
I'm going to fish the weekend and see what next week's 60 degrees temps do to the ice up here, I hear the lady singing.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 19, 2021, 11:44 AM »
I'm going to fish the weekend and see what next week's 60 degrees temps do to the ice up here, I hear the lady singing.

As much ice as there is, it will go quickly.. I started the week with 2 feet, yesterday it was down to 15".. this time of year, it's a 3 headed attack , theater undenieth is working in it, the sun is working on it, run off from creeks and rain is working on it..the opera is open for buisness.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 19, 2021, 05:41 PM »
I'll be out this weekend for sure and I'm off Tuesday I really hope to hit winning one last time on Tuesday and then I'll call it quits if not I'll be fishing in the streams for trout. I don't think it's wishful thinking I think I should be able to get out somewhere on Tuesday
Salmonemia

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 19, 2021, 05:50 PM »
I'll be out this weekend for sure and I'm off Tuesday I really hope to hit winning one last time on Tuesday and then I'll call it quits if not I'll be fishing in the streams for trout. I don't think it's wishful thinking I think I should be able to get out somewhere on Tuesday
You will be fine, there is probably 2 weeks of decent ice left for foot travel, providing  it does not rain.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 19, 2021, 06:35 PM »
You will be fine, there is probably 2 weeks of decent ice left for foot travel, providing  it does not rain.
That's what I was thinking. I was in gilford yesterday broads still frozen snow still in the tree lines rivers still iced up. 
Salmonemia

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 19, 2021, 07:23 PM »
Great report Joe - even days full of your nemesis would be fine with me!  Hope your ice projections are on target - I am working down south (Connecticut) until Monday / Tuesday - but hoping to hit the big lake and or Newfound on Thursday and Friday.  Good luck getting the boat ready for Lobsters and Stripers - hope the rebuilt motor treats you well as the seasons start.

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #17 on: Mar 19, 2021, 07:50 PM »
I think tomorrow's going to be my last trip of the season. There was about a foot of ice where I was last week but the warm weather is going to eat away at it this week. Good luck to everyone this weekend.

Offline dunphy11

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Mar 20, 2021, 10:41 AM »
That's what I was thinking. I was in gilford yesterday broads still frozen snow still in the tree lines rivers still iced up.
Was anyone still using atv’s going out to the broads? Crazy, I was out there last week , thought it was overrr!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.