The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: heading west  (Read 2147 times)

Offline muleskinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
heading west
« on: Mar 15, 2021, 07:32 AM »

going out to the Pittsfield area again tomorrow. last week i went Tuesday and Wednesday, Tuesday was windy and the melt was blown right at me.

to the point water was running down my holes. Wednesday was beautiful . set up for pike and caught a nice 3# brown trout.no pike yet. on the bottom
dead bait shallow and deep but no pike for me to keep.
why yes, I'm not quite right thank you for noticing

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
Re: heading west
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2021, 01:22 PM »
Be sure to spud ! We were at Cheshire Saturday and found much less ice than we assumed. 2-3" clear and 4-5" junk white. Even the ice shanty screws didn't want to hold. The last couple days were nice and cold so the white junk should at least hardened all the way through. Almost like it was 2" solid white with mush under then solid clear ice. Auger cut through way too easily for my liking too. Not that there wasn't enough ice, just not the best ice.

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #2 on: Mar 15, 2021, 01:34 PM »
Be sure to spud ! We were at Cheshire Saturday and found much less ice than we assumed. 2-3" clear and 4-5" junk white. Even the ice shanty screws didn't want to hold. The last couple days were nice and cold so the white junk should at least hardened all the way through. Almost like it was 2" solid white with mush under then solid clear ice. Auger cut through way too easily for my liking too. Not that there wasn't enough ice, just not the best ice.
It happens fast, seemed faster this year then most...
still couldnt believe the pond i was on last monday was open water by wednesday!
hoping to get out next weekend somewhere, shoot me a text if you are heading out Keith.

Offline reKor11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 15, 2021, 05:17 PM »
Be careful, just took a ride down. Shoreline near main launch is all broken up and there appears to be a big seam open up off Appletree Pt w open water. There was one group out on north end.

Offline chuckle

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 15, 2021, 07:44 PM »
I agree with the previous comments.

We walked on to Buel today and the launch was frozen. The pictures are what it looked like at the end of the day. 

The North edges are opening up. The ice was moving and cracking all day. There was so much cracking it sounded like the ice was breaking up. 

It's always a thrill when you can watch the cracks forming or one happens under your chair.

Stay Safe.

Offline muleskinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 16, 2021, 03:01 AM »
Thanks for the heads up. Ill be spudding for shur. Waiting for some day light to see what I'm getting into.

Come on pike!!!!!!

Offline reKor11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 16, 2021, 08:49 AM »
How’d you make out?

Offline manitron

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 16, 2021, 10:03 AM »
I agree with the previous comments.

We walked on to Buel today and the launch was frozen. The pictures are what it looked like at the end of the day. 

The North edges are opening up. The ice was moving and cracking all day. There was so much cracking it sounded like the ice was breaking up. 

It's always a thrill when you can watch the cracks forming or one happens under your chair.

Stay Safe.

That ramp is notorious for that.
Being on ice is nice but the tug is the drug.

Offline jiggeron

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 16, 2021, 03:42 PM »
Great to meet you muleskinner this morning on a north Berkshire lake with eight inches of ice.  I hope you ended up much better than my three-hour skunk session.

Offline muleskinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 19, 2021, 05:47 AM »
I made it out to my prefered fishing hole at first light Tuesday and it was very broken up at my put in spot at the ramp. There was no one on the ice yet.

As I get older my brain is bigger than my balls so it was plain B headed north. Found good ice in the Adams area. Got set up by 10. One other fisherman

out. A big shout out to a good guy Jiggeron he was jigging all around with no luck. We both agreed that it was just good getting out. I stayed till around

4 nothing on tipups or gigging. I wet back to the 1st spot and found a cupule of groups fishing and a safe way on. After a good nights sleep. I got out

Wednesday morning in the dark just before 6. others started showing up around 7. Slow day at a slow lake I had to pick up at 2 and get home for a

nice corned beef and cabbage dinner my lovely wife was cooking. Two flags and one 3 # brown trout. See you next year god willing. time for open water.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Mar 19, 2021, 08:28 AM »

That ramp is notorious for that.

Thats actually looks good per the time of year.

Offline Johnnysox

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 19, 2021, 07:25 PM »

Stockbridge Bowl today 3-19-21, going fast.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.