Author Topic: What do you call them?  (Read 3619 times)

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: What do you call them?
« Reply #30 on: Mar 16, 2021, 11:45 AM »
Tip Ups, but then again I've never in my 68 years heard a fish house called a shanty. I know out east some have never heard of a "fish house".

Fish House Vs Shanty, Interesting to add this to the discussion. I call a Fish House a hut you drag out in the beginning of the season and leave it until the end. I call a Shanty a portable hut like a flip over or tent you bring with you for the day and take home at the end of the day. Here in NY however our DEC calls the permanent Fish Houses Shanties and they are supposed to have the owners name and address clearly marked on them while the portables do not require your ID. Also here in NY if you were dumb enough to park a postable Shanty on the ice and left it unattended overnight it would probably be gone in the morning. Guys I do know who had fish houses they left out on the ice always locked them up and after the first break-in they never again left anything of value in them unattended. I think in over 50 years of ice fishing here in SE NY I have only actually ever seen 1 or 2 permanent fish houses and both were out on private lakes often out in front of the owners home.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline Fish Farmer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Mar 16, 2021, 11:52 AM »
It’s like shanties. In NH they call them bob houses.
Another example: here Vt if you lose your khakis, you lose your pants.
In ma you lose your khakis you can’t start your car.

That's right!

Transplanted m@$$hole, been ice fishing for about 35 years. I always knew them as tip ups in MA and CT. When I moved to Vermont I've heard tip ups and jacks which I assume were the above water tip down style which would litter the landscape at the peak of the season.

And the big piece of flat metal on your jig stick was called a flasher or scooter.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Mar 16, 2021, 12:01 PM »
I call them useless.  Mine don't catch fish.   :-\

Useless and don't catch fish could be because CT don't have no fish!  ;D

Offline struckus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Mar 16, 2021, 01:03 PM »
tip-ups here in Northern Ontario..

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #34 on: Mar 16, 2021, 01:47 PM »
Ha ha.  I actually fish MA about half the time.  They don't catch anything because I am using 10" bait, going for big pike.  It's a slow game.  1 flag this year.... missed the hookset.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Mar 16, 2021, 04:38 PM »
Ha ha.  I actually fish MA about half the time.  They don't catch anything because I am using 10" bait, going for big pike.  It's a slow game.  1 flag this year.... missed the hookset.

YUP! I fish for big trout or Walleyes and really would rather catch nothing except what I go after. Terrible year this year for me too but it wasn't my Tip Ups, Traps, Tilts or Discs that had anything to do with it. We live in liberal democrat country and fish are actually republicans who work for a living and I think they moved ;D

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Mar 16, 2021, 06:06 PM »
Fish House Vs Shanty, Interesting to add this to the discussion. I call a Fish House a hut you drag out in the beginning of the season and leave it until the end. I call a Shanty a portable hut like a flip over or tent you bring with you for the day and take home at the end of the day. Here in NY however our DEC calls the permanent Fish Houses Shanties and they are supposed to have the owners name and address clearly marked on them while the portables do not require your ID. Also here in NY if you were dumb enough to park a postable Shanty on the ice and left it unattended overnight it would probably be gone in the morning. Guys I do know who had fish houses they left out on the ice always locked them up and after the first break-in they never again left anything of value in them unattended. I think in over 50 years of ice fishing here in SE NY I have only actually ever seen 1 or 2 permanent fish houses and both were out on private lakes often out in front of the owners home.
Here in Mn. I, and most, leave my wheelhouse out all year. Knock on wood I haven’t had a problem for at least 10 years.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Mar 16, 2021, 06:26 PM »
Here in Mn. I, and most, leave my wheelhouse out all year. Knock on wood I haven’t had a problem for at least 10 years.

We have seen those pictures from out there, maybe 100+ wheelhouses out there all season long. We also heard you guys cut holes big enough to stuff any thiefs down as Chum Bait!  ;D

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Mar 16, 2021, 10:58 PM »
In Montana, we call them tipups.  We call shanties ice houses.

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Mar 17, 2021, 07:36 AM »
Yup the “flat landers” call them tilts. Us Vermonters call them tip ups or traps.
Lol thought the same thing sometimes tips for short I fish with a guy from Maine now in ny often and he’s got me saying traps more and more sounds cooler and quicker

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Mar 17, 2021, 08:22 AM »
We have seen those pictures from out there, maybe 100+ wheelhouses out there all season long. We also heard you guys cut holes big enough to stuff any thiefs down as Chum Bait!  ;D
in the past it was a huge problem. Now we all watch out for each other and problems have subsided. I will have to say though, that some of the people that have been caught breaking into fish houses never saw the police. If they did I’m not sure which side would end up in jail🤕

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Mar 17, 2021, 08:32 AM »
in the past it was a huge problem. Now we all watch out for each other and problems have subsided. I will have to say though, that some of the people that have been caught breaking into fish houses never saw the police. If they did I’m not sure which side would end up in jail🤕

Yup, No room for thieves among us Icemen and Women. The one guy I know who lived on a private lake and had his ice house equipment stolen was lucky the thief was a dummy. The following year he was back on the ice and the thief was fishing over on the other side with his stolen gear, still had his name on the tip ups. That didn't go too well for him and no authorities were involved.

Offline JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Mar 17, 2021, 02:18 PM »
Tip-ups = Michigan & Colorado

Offline VTLakers

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Mar 19, 2021, 02:30 AM »
After reading some of the responses, I'm glad some of you have heard of the term tilts. I normally get a cocked head response when I call them that. For the past 5 years or so now Ive been calling them tip ups.

As for ice houses, I've only heard them called shanties and as for the rules, you need to have your name address and phone number on your pop up as well as your hard side/bob house/hard side/wheel house.

Thank you all for the responses I didn't expect to get this many.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.