Author Topic: Gear on a plane  (Read 979 times)

Offline Pahardwoods

• IceShanty Rookie
Gear on a plane
« on: Mar 13, 2021, 04:23 PM »
We booked a sleeper shack for next season in Minnesota, while flying isn’t ideal due to time constraints that’s gonna be the move.

I’ve been Reading some mixed things on this so figured I’d ask and see if any of you have traveled by plane with a flasher ?  I’m not sure if the lithium batteries can be checked baggage or carry on?   

If any of you have traveled with ice fishing gear any tips or tricks would also be helpful

thanks

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
Re: Gear on a plane
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2021, 06:57 PM »
cant help ya sorry.  i havent fly since they started treating everyone like terrorists.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline gofishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2021, 07:00 PM »
You can't put lithium ion batteries in checked baggage. I wouldn't put a flasher in checked baggage unless I had a very well padded hard case to put it in. Have you ever watched how checked baggage in handled?

Offline 77tech

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2021, 07:09 PM »
You can review the requirements hear.

https://www.faa.gov/hazmat/packsafe/

As I read it if your battery is 100 watt hours or more it is not allowed as either carry on or checked baggage.  Keep in mind these are the current regulations if they haven't changed by the time you fly.  You might consider buying a spare battery either lithium or SLA and have it shipped to the resort you are renting from in advance so you know you have a battery waiting for you and then you can remove the battery and carry it on or check it as baggage.  If you ship a battery I would suggest you go to a shipping outlet like the UPS store for example and have them pack it and put the required labels on it. 

Offline Icefishingute

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 13, 2021, 07:31 PM »
My son and I did this last year. Our batteries were under the 100 watt limit, but had no labels. I printed my receipt from energized just in case. You have to carry them on and the terminals need to be taped over with electrical tape. We did this and they never said a thing on both ways of the flight. I stressed way more than I needed too.

Offline Pahardwoods

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 14, 2021, 08:45 AM »
Thanks for the info our marcum batteries are over the 100wh so I think I’m just gonna pre ship them.

Curious as to what rod case you used on ur trip last year ?

Thanks again

Offline Icefishingute

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 14, 2021, 08:57 PM »
We used the Striker Ice rod case as a carry on and put it in the upper bin. Not the transporter, just the case.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.