Author Topic: Is Ice Safe in Sunapee Region NH?  (Read 507 times)

Offline CTBrahan

• IceShanty Rookie
Is Ice Safe in Sunapee Region NH?
« on: Mar 11, 2021, 01:10 PM »
I have been ice fishing for 6 years now in the Sunapee region. Recently I checked the ice at my local pond and had 21 inches of ice. 16 inches were black ice and 5 inches was the typical late season white ice. I personal believe the ice is safe currently, my father on the other hand who has walked on ice once in his life (I am a 18 year old senior in high school) believes that the ice is never safe if it is melting. Is there any advice I could get on how to prove to a concerned father that the ice is safe? I personally would like to get out a few more times this year before I am stuck waiting for open water for bass fishing.

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Is Ice Safe in Sunapee Region NH?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11, 2021, 02:52 PM »
CT,
Not to rain on your parade, but melting ice, or ANY ice for that matter, is never truly “safe”! There are just too many variables.
Instead of trying to convince your dad the ice is good, try changing your tactics, and try convincing him you’ll be safe on the lid, and that you won’t take any unnecessary chances. Might work better for you! 🤗
Good Fishing!
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline VTLakers

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 12, 2021, 08:24 AM »
Wear a pair of spike around your neck and check ice as you go is about the only way to be "safe" on the ice. Generally speaking 16 inches of black ice is plenty for a person to walk on. Like I said though check as you go.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 12, 2021, 08:52 AM »
Give him your spud and tell him to chisel a fishable size hole through that ice.  Once he is completely exhausted from trying I think he will understand that 16 inches of black and 5 inches of white ice will easily hold a person.  Again when the ice is melting there are always problem areas so using that spud to make sure the ice hasn't changed is your best early and late ice safety tool.
westernmas on the finder

Offline burgerunh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 12, 2021, 11:22 AM »
Going there tomorrow.  My brother lives on a smaller lake that is 15 minutes south of Sunapee.  He drilled a hole yesterday and said there was 20 inches of ice on his lake.  A 36 hour warm up won't ruin that. 

Long range forecast looks pretty good with cold night time temperatures.  I won't be surprised if I am ice fishing the first weekend in April!

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 12, 2021, 01:15 PM »
Never presume ice is safe until you have checked it yourself.
People will have different comfort levels when talking about ice safety.
There are those willing to risk heading out on 3" of ice (not me), and those that won't even consider anything less than a foot.

Is your father commenting from personal experience of his general belief?

Experience means he might have had a bad outing and may consider all ice to be "risky" regardless of the thickness?
General belief means he may have read or heard about people going thru what was supposedly safe ice, maybe without getting all the facts?

If you feel comfortable and safe, all you can really do is convey that to your father and hope he understands.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.