Author Topic: Electric Auger march ice  (Read 3669 times)

Offline EVAN NIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
Electric Auger march ice
« on: Mar 09, 2021, 12:43 PM »
Does anyone have the Ion G2 in 10"? or newer ion in a 10" ??
Im finding my battery is dyeing on me after 15- 20 holes. Granted there is 40" of ice, but i feel like something isn't right, its a brand new auger.
How is everyone else's experience

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Electric Auger march ice
« Reply #1 on: Mar 09, 2021, 01:26 PM »
My experience with a m18 is that the sloppy ice is harder on batteries than good hard ice.  Even a bit of water or slush in the hole makes it harder for the drill to turn the bit.

Offline js6145

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 09, 2021, 01:32 PM »
I have a first generation, only 8", and never did get what they recommended for drilling. I do know the batteries don't like cold. Have a built in stop if too cold. Mine is 5 years old and ended up bying another battery. For a while I brought a converter to plug into truck so i could recharge it.

Offline Finnegan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 2021, 01:41 PM »
My G2 is the 8 inch version. Used it for two winters now and have no issues with the battery dying. Possibly the 10 inch auger drains more quickly in thick softer ice. I also keep my battery in a bag with a couple of pocket warmers to keep it warm in between drilling holes. I am still able to drill 30 holes in 40 inch ice and battery will still have 2 of 3 bars battery life left. I have never drained it below this level.
A woman who has never seen her husband fishing, doesn't know what a patient man she married !

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #4 on: Mar 09, 2021, 03:49 PM »
Have one, love it. Im not drilling 40' of ice though. So you think you're getting half the advertised 1200" ION says the G2 should cut? Is it dry ice or wet ice youre cutting? I can see how a hole thats 40" deep and full of slush would really bog down an auger. Slush even made my 10" Shark work hard when I had it. I assume your clearing the flutes the whole time youre drilling a hole?

Offline cburns94

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 10, 2021, 09:13 AM »
i got about 30 holes with my jiffy e6. it was showing 2 bars but would not cut longer than 5 seconds at a time. there was 30+ inches of ice and it was pretty heavy cutting. I thought with 2 bars i should get at least 20 more holes. The other thing i may have messed up is i was hole hopping for an hour. It was -15C and maybe my battery got cold?? i think ill be getting a second battery to avoid this situation next winter.

Offline Hatandboots

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 10, 2021, 11:03 AM »
I got a ION this year around December and I am having some similar issues. On a soft wet ice it seems to almost be binding... The  fix is to just lift the auger up and run it a bit to clear all the heavy slush out of the hole. With nearly 3ft of ice I have to do this a couple times. I wasn't sure if this was normal or not.

But on cold days leaving the battery out is no good either. I did that on a -15 day on Dief and even though it had 2 bars on it it would just run for 1 second, shut off, run for 1 second, shut off. I'll keep my battery inside my shack in the future.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #7 on: Mar 10, 2021, 01:48 PM »
Thick ice and Slush will make any auger struggle..

Offline herschel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 12, 2021, 11:22 AM »
One thing I have found with our electric augers, Strikemaster and Ryobi drill, is that you don't want to apply downward force.  It seems to help if you are almost lifting up on the auger. 

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Mar 12, 2021, 11:40 AM »
Thick ice and Slush will make any auger struggle..

So true in my area its a combination of  slush ..hard pack..ice ..one lake was 18" other lake 12" ..its the most "ice" that my Mil 2704/Clam Plate/HT E-Drill 8" has seen ..heck it the most I have seen overall for at least the last 4-5 seasons ..defiantly a different experience cutting through March ice.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline ToonFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 12, 2021, 01:10 PM »
One thing I have found with our electric augers, Strikemaster and Ryobi drill, is that you don't want to apply downward force.  It seems to help if you are almost lifting up on the auger.
Great tip! But my blades gets blunt often and I have to apply pressure sometimes, and it does exhaust the battery quickly.

Offline EVAN NIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 12, 2021, 01:39 PM »
Im sure there are many threads on this already, but can a guy touch up ion blades at home? after a few cuts i sure notice a difference.. not impressed. I feel like i have to apply pressure as well.. i cant see how the angle could change at all considering the g2 is a hard plastic. unless i tightened them too tight and the bolt/nut coming through the cutting edge side is effecting it? it looks to be only coming out about the width of a penny or penny and a half if this makes sense.

Offline Hatandboots

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 12, 2021, 01:49 PM »
I've seen some posts on sharpening them and lots of people say get it professionally done. The angle of the blade is very specific and all blades I've seen use a hollow grind, which is very hard to work with by hand. Mine needs a sharpen too but I'm hoping she can drill holes for a couple more outings yet, then I'll get her sharpened before I store it for the season.

Anyone know a good place or anyone that does auger blades?

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Mar 12, 2021, 01:51 PM »
Im sure there are many threads on this already, but can a guy touch up ion blades at home? after a few cuts i sure notice a difference.. not impressed. I feel like i have to apply pressure as well.. i cant see how the angle could change at all considering the g2 is a hard plastic. unless i tightened them too tight and the bolt/nut coming through the cutting edge side is effecting it? it looks to be only coming out about the width of a penny or penny and a half if this makes sense.

There is a sharpener made by Gatco ..with the angles mentioned in the post below

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=372528.msg4021030#msg4021030

https://www.amazon.com/GTC17002-BRK-Knife-Clamp-Honing-Guide/dp/B000F6W8WC/ref=sr_1_26?crid=BJ0W27V17TED&dchild=1&keywords=gatco+sharpener&qid=1615578629&sprefix=gatco+shar%2Caps%2C301&sr=8-26
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Mar 12, 2021, 01:53 PM »
StrikeMaster blades should bolt right up to them as well ..better blade material ...stainless steel

also site sponsor for sharpening

https://www.fish307.com/auger-blade-sharpening/

Offline farmboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 12, 2021, 06:41 PM »
I’ve sharpened my blades quite a few times but you have to be extremely careful and particular.

I use a fine grit stone and take my time but it can be done. Just like sharpening a chainsaw, you have to make sure you get the correct angle and you should be fine

Offline bisonfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 12, 2021, 07:39 PM »
For $12 Pokey’s (in Regina) does a great job on auger blades.

Offline cburns94

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Mar 15, 2021, 09:30 AM »
punched 30 plus holes saturday while trying to find the fish... only found 2 lol.

There was way more ice than the day i had issues with it not cutting. I was right to the bottom of my head with the extension on (6inch setting jiffy)

Kept the battery warm and that seemed to be the big difference. as well as clearing the snow out a couple times a whole and not letting it add resistance.

Offline EVAN NIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 15, 2021, 09:56 AM »
How warm do you have to keep these batterys? It was -5 ish Celsius my day with issues and 1-2 Celsius the 2nd day with issues ?

Im wondering if the 10” was a bad move
I guess i’ll try to keep it warmer next time

Offline ToonFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Mar 15, 2021, 11:35 AM »
My original Ion-1 battery 8 years ago was good After I left it on the auger for quite a while at -10 C. It worked 4 years until it drained faster than the beginning and eventually drained out and died.

The replacement battery doesn't even like half an hour out at - 5 C.

Offline C-Dub

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Mar 16, 2021, 11:58 AM »
I also purchased a 10" G2 this year and ended up buying a second battery.  Keeping them warm definitely helps.  Also try clearing out the hole a couple times instead of trying to drill in one shot.  Seems to put less pressure on the flight and doesn't wear down the battery as fast. 

Offline EVAN NIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Mar 16, 2021, 12:09 PM »
Definitly going to use a cooler bag next year with some little hand warmers maybe, but im as interested in trying strike master blades if they hold an edge longer might be the way to go

Offline cburns94

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Mar 22, 2021, 10:58 PM »
We went to tobin again. 40ish inches of ice. I cut about 30 holes with my jiffy e6. Again it would run for 5 seconds and turn off. It was definitely warm this time. Showing 2 of 4 bars of battery life.

Now 1200 inches of ice when their site says 80 holes through 24 inches (1600ish inches). That's pretty close considering how hard or works to cut.

I emailed Jiffy about why it would show 2 of 4 bars. Just curious about why if it's dead it doesn't show 1 bar or no bars.

Their response was outstanding! Phone call 20 minutes after email. They are sending me a new battery! Free of charge. I was going to buy a second anyway this summer and now I don't have to 

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #23 on: Mar 24, 2021, 10:47 PM »
Got 26 holes on a charge out on echo last weekend. First time with the 10” ion I just picked up. Water was coming into the hole 1/4 way through so was a workout drilling that slushy crap ice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.