Author Topic: What is going on with Ridgid?  (Read 3955 times)

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
What is going on with Ridgid?
« on: Mar 08, 2021, 01:44 PM »
Advertising the new 18 Volt 800 Pound Hammer drill. Going backwards I guess on in pounds. No mention of the Octane tools at all. Is that because they discontinued them?

Hey 3300 Inquiring minds want to know.
<===Lefty===

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: What is going on with Ridgid?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 08, 2021, 02:14 PM »
I havent seen a deal on that drill in quite a while..been out of stock for a while ..seen some FB posts/pictures about them ripping in two.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2021, 04:35 PM »
Also since Dewalt ..has both the Power Detect line and the Flexvolt Advantage line..they have been scarce ..just an observation.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline kpmswi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2021, 04:39 PM »
Home Depot is still selling Octane batteries and 1300 inlbs drills and drivers.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2021, 04:51 PM »
9:44 mark

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 08, 2021, 08:28 PM »
I really like my drill and Lazer set up, so I'm gonna wait and see before having a conniption. This guy's just analyzing the catalog. He admits he doesn't know anything, and expects someone to chime in on the comment section. I need to see a press release or Q&A response from the company, rather than speculation.

That said, I have the lifetime warranty on my drill, battery and charger. I'm gonna hold 'em to an equal or better standard.
Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 09, 2021, 05:21 AM »

That said, I have the lifetime warranty on my drill, battery and charger. I'm gonna hold 'em to an equal or better standard.

Until they get bought by BPS and the Lifetime warranties get thrown out the window. No grandfathering either.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 09, 2021, 11:02 AM »
Until they get bought by BPS and the Lifetime warranties get thrown out the window. No grandfathering either.
BPS?

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Mar 09, 2021, 11:07 AM »

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 09, 2021, 11:51 AM »
Changing batteries is nothing new- my fist Ridgid had NiCad batteries. They lasted about 5 years, and then I got new Lithium batteries and a charger, which I still have. The drill died, and Home Depot gave me a new drill, battery, and charger set because it took so long to repair the old drill. I have 4 different vintages of 18V batteries so far, and they all work with all of the tools. It is one of the main parts of the business model that this continues- part of why I keep buying more Ridgid tools is my significant stock of batteries. From what I see in the lineup, they are making more different tools, more like Ryobi. Ryobi still has the most, but now Ridgid is getting closer. 
For ice fishing, I think we are most concerned with the largest torque drill, and the biggest capacity battery, and of course the LSA. As long as those things are sufficient, it remains a competitive offering, along with Milwaukee and Dewalt.

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 09, 2021, 04:05 PM »

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 09, 2021, 04:23 PM »
You guys do know that Milwaukee, Ridged, and Ryobi are all the same company right? The price, performance, and durability are also in that same order. Ridged was never meant to be comparable to Milwaukee. It's Milwaukee's mid level tool line.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Mar 09, 2021, 04:55 PM »
You guys do know that Milwaukee, Ridged, and Ryobi are all the same company right? The price, performance, and durability are also in that same order. Ridged was never meant to be comparable to Milwaukee. It's Milwaukee's mid level tool line.

https://www.protoolreviews.com/news/power-tool-manufacturers-who-owns-them/43632/

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #13 on: Mar 09, 2021, 09:54 PM »
Ridgid is still making their 1300" pound hammer drill.

https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/octane-brushless-18v-hammer-drill-driver

Not sure about HD dealing them.
There are other ways to get Ridgid tools with the LSA

https://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/power-tools/power-tool-discussion-forum/748173-octane-hammer-drill-availability

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 10, 2021, 05:19 AM »
Strange, I just went to the TTI website and Ridgid is missing in their list of brands. I clicked on the AEG brand and they showed a drill that looked very much like a Ridgid. The company I work for belongs to a large corporation and companies are often absorbed and rebranded. I'll wait and see, I was thinking on switching over to Milwaukee anyway.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Mar 10, 2021, 06:14 AM »
None of these companies care about Ice Fishing and most likely never will.  Technology will never go backwards so I believe there will always be a good choice out there to drill an ice hole and should get better each year.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Mar 10, 2021, 08:32 AM »
Advertising the new 18 Volt 800 Pound Hammer drill. Going backwards I guess on in pounds. No mention of the Octane tools at all. Is that because they discontinued them?

Hey 3300 Inquiring minds want to know.

Email shows Ridgids new lineup for this year. I expected the 800" pound drill to be a new compact drill and it is. They are releasing two new ones. They are releasing a lot of new tools for this year. Octane was already released and none of the new tools are octane. Their new batteries are called Max.

https://promotions.ridgidmail.com/210302_new-tools-2021

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Mar 10, 2021, 08:57 AM »
Strange, I just went to the TTI website and Ridgid is missing in their list of brands. I clicked on the AEG brand and they showed a drill that looked very much like a Ridgid. The company I work for belongs to a large corporation and companies are often absorbed and rebranded. I'll wait and see, I was thinking on switching over to Milwaukee anyway.

Not sure who TTI is, but you could buy Ridgid Octane here and does qualify for RIDGID'S LSA.
AEG may be the European version of Ridgid tools. They typically get Ridgid's new tools before the USA market.

https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/Products/Power-Tools/RIDGID-OCTANE-18-Volt-Brushless-Hammer-Drill-and-Impact-Driver-Kit/p/R9501

Offline mc1984ss

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Mar 10, 2021, 08:01 PM »

TTI does not own Ridgid. TTI only builds the Ridgid tools under contract. The plumbing tools are actually made by ridgid I believe

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Mar 11, 2021, 07:55 AM »
 I put in a request on stock for octane drill and 9amp batteries. Octane 6amp is still available. They have all of it for warranty replacments.

found out some details on the tool inventory request:

Octane hammer drill
R8611506bn – none in stock, no orders outstanding – might be produced at a later time, no eta

Octane 9amp battery
AC8400809 - none in stock, no orders outstanding – might be produced at a later time, no eta

Octane 9amp battery and charger kit
AC801 – units coming into stock in late April

Best regards,
Name removed
Customer Support: Power Tools

Techtronic Industries Power Equipment

Nameremoved@ ttigroupna.com

TTI LOGO

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Mar 11, 2021, 08:56 AM »
Thanks 3300, I knew you would investigate. Looks like it might be something they would get back in if there was enough interest in it. Most construction people would be more than happy with the 800 inch pound drill. And I don't see why it wouldn't turn an 8" auger, excluding the K-drill. My 700 Inch pound Ridgid turned my 7" with a 4AH battery pretty well.
<===Lefty===

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Mar 11, 2021, 09:09 PM »
Sad news if your Octane blows up

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Mar 12, 2021, 04:24 AM »
Exactly what I thought when I first got the new add. Why they were advertising an 800 IN PD when they had the 1300. So I am glad I posted this thread and it now comes out. In that note I am really happy I went with the Milwaukee.
<===Lefty===

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 12, 2021, 09:15 AM »
If I had a large bit, I would be looking at the direct tools ad for a backup 1300 drill. I got one this fall for $69. For me, the 800 will be fine if mine ever fails. I have been through numerous branding and technology changes in the 16 years I have owned Ridgid tools, and they have always figured out a way to keep the old tools and batteries working, or replace them with newer stuff.

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Mar 12, 2021, 10:38 AM »
And does this guy work for Ridgid?
Always intrigues me how some guy with a you-tube channel is the first to let everyone know what's going on internally with a company?

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Mar 12, 2021, 11:00 AM »
ok, so they are changing their line up a bit, covering LSA's with a better tool if needed and expanding the LSA to all tools and batteries. I can live with that.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Mar 12, 2021, 11:08 AM »
If I had a large bit, I would be looking at the direct tools ad for a backup 1300 drill. I got one this fall for $69. For me, the 800 will be fine if mine ever fails. I have been through numerous branding and technology changes in the 16 years I have owned Ridgid tools, and they have always figured out a way to keep the old tools and batteries working, or replace them with newer stuff.

Just scored a 1300 in drill for $79 on Ebay.  Glad I picked up another bc my nils needs touching up and is putting a strain on the drill.  I'll be sending the head out for sharpening and using the old Ion for the remainder of the year. 
westernmas on the finder

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #27 on: Mar 12, 2021, 11:14 AM »
Not trying to hijack the post but this may help some folks

Open an account/sign up for Emails receive a $10 coupon code ..$110 bucks off w/discount..have to add a promo deal item

https://www.farmandfleet.com/products/1138238-milwaukee-2804-22-m18-fuel-18v-1-2-hammer-drill-kit.html

https://www.farmandfleet.com/promo-deal/?offerID=4207

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Mar 12, 2021, 03:35 PM »
Just scored a 1300 in drill for $79 on Ebay.  Glad I picked up another bc my nils needs touching up and is putting a strain on the drill.  I'll be sending the head out for sharpening and using the old Ion for the remainder of the year.

I have touched up my Nils with a Worksharp hand held belt sander. If you just need a little attention to the secondary bevel, should just take a minute. As with any auger blade, leave the ice side of the blade alone.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Mar 12, 2021, 04:41 PM »
Sad news if your Octane blows up

I spoke with a Larry from Ridgid/TTI about the LSA on Octane tools a few days ago. He informed they will honor Octane tools and batteries as that is a separate division of their company. You are welcome to call them and inquire for yourself, if you wish. I already posted the part numbers they need to handle your inquiry. You probably will get different customer support persons each time you call.

Ridgid tx:
1-800-4-RIDGID

Larry from Ridgid/TTI email:
Larry.gunter @ ttigroupna.com

If it blows up, they replace parts.
Furthermore, they will be making their 9amp and charger kit soon.

Octane 9amp battery and charger kit
AC801 – units coming into stock in late April

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.