Author Topic: Mt tom  (Read 3609 times)

Offline RedRangerOAB

• IceShanty Rookie
Mt tom
« on: Mar 05, 2021, 10:03 AM »
Been a pretty good season so far my first season ice fishing got a few tips ups a jiging rod and a fish finder I caught some perch and a bunch of shiners jigging but have yet to catch a fish that continues to evade me even in the open water the trout I’ve been using jigging spoons with spikes mostly on the jigs and have been going to west hill pond but I get skunked every day I go there even a few days after it was stocked all I got is I felt one big hit and that was it so I think I want to go to a new spot this weekend even though west hill was just stocked again and since it’s probably my last chance to go this year I was looking at other spots that are also stocked and I saw this place near bantam call mount tom that was just stocked today and looked pretty good depth wise also didn’t see too popular so the fish wouldn’t be over fished so have any of you guys gone out there is it any good.

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
Re: Mt tom
« Reply #1 on: Mar 05, 2021, 10:34 AM »
I can give you some info on Mt Tom, but I'm more interested in the shiners, lol.  PM me?

Offline mungo544

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 05, 2021, 11:07 AM »
Highland was stocking at the boat launch when I was there on Wednesday.

Offline RedRangerOAB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 05, 2021, 11:09 AM »
I caught the shiners on a small widow maker jig and a spike I caught like 6 of them they where about the same size as the ones I had on my tip ups I didn’t keep them though they are at Wethersfield cove if you want to try to jig for some yourself I just keep getting shiners that day and nothing else but one perch

Offline RedRangerOAB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 05, 2021, 11:10 AM »
And I would go to highland I’ve been thinking about there too but mt tom is closer and if there are less people there I’d rather go to mt tom

Offline TT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 05, 2021, 11:16 AM »
Highland and West Hill limit is only one trout over 16” till the end of March. Same for East Twin.

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 05, 2021, 07:24 PM »
I understand. Been there done that lol. I thought you were talking about something bigger.

Offline RedRangerOAB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 06, 2021, 05:11 PM »
Update went out there today started out not so good woke up late and didn’t feel anything for a long time so we moved to a new spot as my dad was using the fish finder to set up a the tips up I was jigging old school with no transducer and my line got tangled so I tried to get my jig out of the water by walking backwards and holding the line but then my drag started going off so I thought I got caught on the ice so I walked over and saw my line going crazy which made me realize I had a fish on which was my first trout ever a decent Brookie that I just ate

Offline Muggsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 06, 2021, 05:36 PM »
Congrats! Looks like a nice one, too.
Maybe someday I'll think of something clever to write here...but I doubt it.

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 06, 2021, 08:04 PM »
Nice job! Congrats!

Offline fishoninct

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fishon and often. Leave no trace.
« Reply #10 on: Mar 07, 2021, 03:09 AM »
Well done. If you caught a fish there, consider it good. We call it mount skunk for a reason. You can call it Mount One Fish. It holds fish but they are hard to catch there. Lots of alewives.
If you can't play nice, get off the ice!

Offline fishoninct

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 11, 2021, 06:12 PM »
Was at mount skunk today. Didn’t need plank but it is going to be unfishable soon. 1-2” of soft ice when I left at 11:30.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Mar 11, 2021, 06:23 PM »
Was at mount skunk today. Didn’t need plank but it is going to be unfishable soon. 1-2” of soft ice when I left at 11:30.

I can't fathom why you fish a place you loath so much, Scott.  That place bores me.  Poor fishing that's dependant on stocking,  too many interesting critters in the parking lot and the scenery...oh yes who doesn't love watching endless traffic all day! 

Offline fishoninct

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Mar 12, 2021, 06:02 AM »
I can't fathom why you fish a place you loath so much, Scott.  That place bores me.  Poor fishing that's dependant on stocking,  too many interesting critters in the parking lot and the scenery...oh yes who doesn't love watching endless traffic all day!
I only had a short time to fish and ice on Waramaug wasn’t looking good.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Mar 12, 2021, 09:30 AM »
I only had a short time to fish and ice on Waramaug wasn’t looking good.

Drove by this am on the way to the office and it's looking rather gross on MT Tom.  Trying to decide boat tomorrow or lake champlain ice....

Offline robertlbelrose

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 12, 2021, 02:37 PM »
Drove by this am on the way to the office and it's looking rather gross on MT Tom.  Trying to decide boat tomorrow or lake champlain ice....

It's hard to say 'no' to Lake Champlain!

Offline Nysrx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 13, 2021, 05:13 PM »
You better take the boat to Champlain too. Here is Westport’s launch.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Mar 14, 2021, 08:36 AM »
Well I am glad I didn't see your post because that's a launch I use and because I knew there was ice and lakers waiting for me.

Westport made me laugh though. Deepest part of the lake so no surprise there isn't much ice there.

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Mar 14, 2021, 06:40 PM »
Good for you, Jon, getting out and icing those lakers.

Certainly a more productive day than my own.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Mar 14, 2021, 07:37 PM »
Thanks Jim.  I've been out on the farmington as well and haven't been as successful but I'll figure that out soon.

Offline Likeanelly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Mar 14, 2021, 08:38 PM »
Some crazy die hard was out near the park today there was ten feet of water most of the shore

Offline fishoninct

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Mar 15, 2021, 05:36 AM »
I wouldn’t venture out on that place now.

Offline icechaser

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Mar 16, 2021, 12:49 PM »
I'll be heading farther north than that for perhaps the last time tomorrow- I went up weds. then gave it a bit of a break to firm back up anything that's left out there.- I'll either be fishing or hiking: good workout either way-If the ice is safe I will use u the rest of the minnows, if not-Ill take a nice hike on the trail around the pond. Bass are getting into that prespawn feed mode everywhere and soon it will be time to actually go boating again.-I'm just happy it was a decent season this year even if it got off to a late start.-I'm curious to see what if anything is left after the re-freeze.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.