The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: OT Recreational Halibut Fishing??? White perch for Bait, Maybe...  (Read 1402 times)

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
Halibut Recreational Longline? Anyone on here done it? I am thinking I’m gonna try it this spring. May do a couple white perch slay days. I’ve heard some guys have used them....
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline StolenB8

• Team IceShanty Regular
You’re on drugs  ;)

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
You’re on drugs  ;)
  I am told, after talking to some guys that know, they do catch a few in Frenchman Bay every year. I already knew of a few of them. Probably just gonna set one 50 hook tub trawl. I have an 18’ Eastern with a 60H Yamaha that should be sufficient. Not sure about hauling yet. Gotta think about that... Looks like I have most of what I need except I’ll need hooks,  leader material,  a few clips - I have a bunch from my oyster gear,  and a couple mushroom anchors. I have some spots in mind locals told me to try. All within a mile or so of where I launch for clamming. I’ll be doing a bunch of research before I get serious.

"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Give it a try. Find some maybe try rod and reel too. You need a license. Probably find some alewives for bait that time of year.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
Give it a try. Find some maybe try rod and reel too. You need a license. Probably find some alewives for bait that time of year.
Figuring to set 50 hooks, 200-300yds,  on  the falling tide, then haul after clamming or the next morning depending on tide time. I’ll think over what I can actually handle. Maybe 2 short twas will be a better tack.  Like a 6 - 8 +  hour soak. Local bait guy has several options of hard bait.

Offline Steamingholes

• IceShanty Rookie
Rod and large weight. 1 gallon bait bag on bottom. Half a fish on a circle hook and wait for the second bend

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
Rod and large weight. 1 gallon bait bag on bottom. Half a fish on a circle hook and wait for the second bend
I do have that kind of gear, but sounds like a slow bite! I think 50 hooks might be more the ticket, unless they are concentrated in some degree of numbers.

Offline Steamingholes

• IceShanty Rookie
Try around duck islands by bass harbor. Had good luck there with long lines

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
Try around duck islands by bass harbor. Had good luck there with long lines
I’m just gonna play around in Frenchman Bay. I can set and haul around clamming and checking my 5 lobster traps on the way in and out. I get the fishing is likely better out around The Ducks and there abouts in that kind of water/bottom. 

Offline Steamingholes

• IceShanty Rookie
Maybe egg rock or the chimney. Not sure where you’re launching from. 150’ plus. The bait bag helps they hunt by scent

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
Maybe egg rock or the chimney. Not sure where you’re launching from. 150’ plus. The bait bag helps they hunt by scent
  Good info! Thank you! I may or probably will do bait bags on the tub trawl. Launching mostly from Raccoon Cove, then  Lamoine State Park and sometimes Hancock Point. I’m just keeping it simple and in my general travel area.  If I catch ONE keeper, I’ll be happy!

Offline Steamingholes

• IceShanty Rookie
Had luck with both. Prefer the rod. Usually a 8 hour soak on the line.
Much more fun pulling them up on the rod. A gaff is helpful

Offline Steamingholes

• IceShanty Rookie

Offline Steamingholes

• IceShanty Rookie

Offline Scalloper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Eat Scallops
My sons have caught a few on bass we caught out of Cathance lake. Suckers too.
Flood tide is always best fishing. Trawls only need to set 4-6 hrs as most of the bait will be gone by then. For some reason fresh water fish seem to stay on the hooks better then Hereing, mackerel, squid or elwive.
______________________ ___

Its a lazy man that cant find his wife a second job

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
My sons have caught a few on bass we caught out of Cathance lake. Suckers too.
Flood tide is always best fishing. Trawls only need to set 4-6 hrs as most of the bait will be gone by then. For some reason fresh water fish seem to stay on the hooks better then Hereing, mackerel, squid or elwive.
Yeah, Flood tide is what everyone I talked with says. Makes sense for stripers and mackerel. I would have to suppose the same be true for halibut. Someone, maybe Steve Follett the elder - now passed, told me white perch worked well. I’ve heard suckers and pickerel too. As far as soak and tide time, I’ll let my schedule dictate that schedule. I’ll fish the optimum tide as best I can and conveniently when it makes most sense. I’m guessing they will stay hooked longer OK. It looks like, given the $ I will have to spend, I’ll need to catch at least 2 good ones to approach breaking even! haha!  :thumbsup: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:

Had luck with both. Prefer the rod. Usually a 8 hour soak on the line.
Much more fun pulling them up on the rod. A gaff is helpful
  I’ll see what my time looks like and what info I can get from the BG GUYS! I’ll be rigging up a couple rods for them! A fish over 80# or so should be at least interesting on my gear! Actually,  ANY keeper would be a blast!
[/size][/color][/size]

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.