Author Topic: PB Rainbow Through the ICE and TANK Brookies underwater!  (Read 1007 times)

Offline Brandon

• Team IceShanty Addict

This was my first day fishing of 2021, January 1st, as I always like to start the year right ICE FISHING for some BIG FISH.  I have had some great days out on New Years Day and this was no exception.  It really could have been a whole lot better, but the fish just did not want to cooperate.  I found their location and they kept coming by all day, but would not commit to anything I had to offer.  That is beside two nice trout.  On Fat Brookie to start the day and probably my Biggest Rainbow Trout through the ice.  This trout was 23 inches and 6.5 pounds if anyone is wondering.  Don't usually include this information, but this fish actually did get retained so I put in on the scale just to see.   

I had a GoPro shooting down the hole most of the day and I captured a lot of fish cruising by that showed little interest.  I have included my commentary and thoughts.  To tell you the truth though I was puzzled today. I thought everything was right.  The weather, the location, the fish.  They just wouldn't eat.  I tried a variety of lures.

The brook trout was caught on a Slender Spoon  1/8 oz. and 1.5" length.  I stated the wrong size in the video.  This was the mid length light spoon. 

The Rainbow trout hit a Circle Tackle 7mm Tungsten Jig "Poker Face Y-112" chartruese.  Tipped with a piece of night crawler.  This jig was on the Jigging Jaw Jacker and set up while I was rummaging through the tackle back searching for something that the fish might bite. 

I was located just adjacent to a weedy shoal where it dropped off to the lake basin.  In about 14 feet of water and I'd put the lure about 7 feet down.  You will see some of the underwater shots are located on top of that weed flat. 

I hope you enjoy this video. 

Best of luck out there in 2021!
THE FISHING DOCTORS ADVENTURES https://www.youtube.com/user/Brandonkop

Offline sodussut

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: PB Rainbow Through the ICE and TANK Brookies underwater!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2021, 06:55 PM »
I would try a scud or a pheasant tail nymph  up from your jig about 12-18 inches. The scud imitates a fresh water shrimp!

Offline Brandon

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: PB Rainbow Through the ICE and TANK Brookies underwater!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2021, 01:04 AM »
I would try a scud or a pheasant tail nymph  up from your jig about 12-18 inches. The scud imitates a fresh water shrimp!

Yeah I might try a fly if this happens again, but it will have to be straight fly.  This is British Columbia and can only have one lure pure line.  No dropper or inline flies.
THE FISHING DOCTORS ADVENTURES https://www.youtube.com/user/Brandonkop

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.