Author Topic: Hasn't fished in 35+ Years!! (Yellow Perch CnC)  (Read 1347 times)

Offline Team CO.F.F.

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hasn't fished in 35+ Years!! (Yellow Perch CnC)
« on: Feb 16, 2021, 12:59 PM »
Can you imagine not fishing for over 35+ Years?!?!?!?!?! I would probably go insane 😂😜

Samantha's mother hasn't been fishing in roughly 36-37 years, but that changed very recently! She braved the cold and went out with Sam to do a YELLOW PERCH CATCH AND COOK ON THE ICE!! It was a bit of a grindy day but they caught a few small eaters and had a really good time.

With the weather really heating up and ice fishing probably being close to over in a month or so (at least for us), we figured to add in some bonus content at the end of the video of some warm weather fishing. The content is from early fall of 2020!!

Hope you all enjoy!🎣🎣🎣

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Hasn't fished in 35+ Years!! (Yellow Perch CnC)
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2021, 03:46 PM »
Excellent!  Now Im hungry-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Team CO.F.F.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2021, 08:39 PM »
Excellent!  Now Im hungry-

Me and you both...Might try and get one more fish fry done out of the Gaps before the season ends but...everything around here is turning into a pile of slush

Offline JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2021, 10:23 AM »
Couldn't imagine. I haven't been out in a couple of weeks & it's driving me nuts!

Offline Team CO.F.F.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2021, 10:33 AM »
Couldn't imagine. I haven't been out in a couple of weeks & it's driving me nuts!

This has been a challenging season for me as well...Basketball is keeping me extremely busy and I haven't been able to get out nearly as much as I would like.

Offline TimK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2021, 03:37 PM »
Sweet!  One of these days im gonna have to do myself a catch and cook!  Hoping to get down there one or two more times before the ice is gone.  Ive seen several reports recently of a slow bite at harvey, I wonder if it is bc the perch are spawning. I met a west slope local last month while fishing the other perch spot down there (guy def seemed like he knew what he was talking about, my BS meter didnt go off), anyway, he told me the perch at the gaps spawn in late february, which seems early to me but this guy had no reason to lie.  SO, maybe the slow bite as of recent is due to spawning, just a thought. I know people were cleaning up in January at harvey (as seen in your last video from that location),  not so much last few weeks.
Friends don't let Friends use Tip-Ups

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #6 on: Feb 17, 2021, 06:49 PM »
Nice to Sam out fishing with her mother hopefully they can do a few more trips this year. I was hoping Sam's mom would catch some fish which might have encouraged her to do more ice fishing or open water trips.Glad they did not loose all of the catch and cook meal. Hard to imagine going over 35 years between fishing trips.
 Steve

Offline Team CO.F.F.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 25, 2021, 10:35 AM »
Sweet!  One of these days im gonna have to do myself a catch and cook!  Hoping to get down there one or two more times before the ice is gone.  Ive seen several reports recently of a slow bite at harvey, I wonder if it is bc the perch are spawning. I met a west slope local last month while fishing the other perch spot down there (guy def seemed like he knew what he was talking about, my BS meter didnt go off), anyway, he told me the perch at the gaps spawn in late february, which seems early to me but this guy had no reason to lie.  SO, maybe the slow bite as of recent is due to spawning, just a thought. I know people were cleaning up in January at harvey (as seen in your last video from that location),  not so much last few weeks.

Sorry for late response. super busy lately...Good information. I have heard the bite has gotten pretty slow. The weather has been rough for the ice lately, going to have some free time this weekend finally. Going to check some ice in the area.

Offline Team CO.F.F.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 25, 2021, 10:37 AM »
Nice to Sam out fishing with her mother hopefully they can do a few more trips this year. I was hoping Sam's mom would catch some fish which might have encouraged her to do more ice fishing or open water trips.Glad they did not loose all of the catch and cook meal. Hard to imagine going over 35 years between fishing trips.
 Steve

Ya Sam was really bummed she couldn't get her mom into a fish but she said her mom had a lot of fun (despite being underdressed for the occasion). She had a bad experience the last time she went and it sort of scarred her for life. I personally would go insane lol. 

Offline TimK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 25, 2021, 10:43 AM »
Sorry for late response. super busy lately...Good information. I have heard the bite has gotten pretty slow. The weather has been rough for the ice lately, going to have some free time this weekend finally. Going to check some ice in the area.

I went down to Harvey tuesday afternoon.  Ice is in great shape!  No slush at all really.  Every hole I drilled in the basin in front of the dam had what im going to refer to as the "perchocline" bc it kinda looks like a thermocline on the sonar.  Just a THICK layer of dink perch 28ft down covering the entire area.  I dropped down the camera to look, its disgusting.  MILLIONS of 4-5" perch.  Drain the whole thing and start over, its a lost cause.  They cant trap and transport enough into rifle to make a dent.  Seriously. Drain it and try again. With the camera facing down I had 20-60 fish in view at all times.  Those little f#ckers are very skilled at stealing spikes off a hook.  I hadnt fished there in 5 or 6 years its gotten infinitely worse.
Friends don't let Friends use Tip-Ups

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #10 on: Feb 25, 2021, 06:41 PM »
Tyler thank you for the reply. May Sam be able to talk her mother into another trip  where she is better dressed or to go out during the Spring/Summer. Best to you and all of the team if you go out this weekend.
 Steve

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.